Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (ABC) TV Show • Page 16

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Rowan5215 likes this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Fitting that Kevin Tancharoen directed the finale. He was consistently the best director to work on the series.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

phenomenal finale, couldn't have asked for more

did justice to every character. damn I'm gonna miss this show though, it's been a staple for like a quarter of my life

Agents of S.W.O.R.D. when?

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  4. Rowan5215

who's cutting onions in here

5. Rowan5215

Clark's reaction to the Cavalry line is my favourite thing I've ever seen

(I miss this show)

SmithBerryCrunch and Anthony_ like this.
  6. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

This was so wonderful. They nailed it.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  7. Rowan5215

I'm so glad they didn't feel the need to kill any main characters (give or take that Daisy fakeout) and instead just had them go on with their lives and kinda move on. much more bittersweet and truer to the characters that we spent so much time with

8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

My wife and I watched S1 last week and by about 8 episodes in we were completely addicted. Watching the events of the Winter Soldier play out over that last third of the season was so tense and pretty cool. Excellent. Don't think we've ever watched a whole season of anything that quickly.

Started S2 over the weekend and found it a bit jarring to begin with - definitely feels like a different vibe, possibly due to the new characters and the team being different. Hopefully we can get into it a bit more. Skimming through comments about the later seasons and it looks like it's well worth continuing with.

SmithBerryCrunch and Rowan5215 like this.
  9. Rowan5215

haha most people completely write off S1 in favour of the later seasons so it's interesting to see that perspective

hindsight and knowledge of the Winter Soldier tie-in have definitely done S1 some good, imo, but it's still kind of a dry run for what the show would become. around S3 was when I knew I would follow this show wherever it went

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yeah I've followed along with this thread and remember originally (probably back on AP) that people found the first half of S1 a bit slow - perhaps I was more forgiving as I was getting to know the characters. Midpoint onwards I was hooked and I definitely enjoyed the rollercoaster ride of twists and turns of the Winter Solider.

I've wanted to watch this for years because of positive comments like yours about S3 onwards, but couldn't find anywhere to catch up. Glad Disney+ now exists for things like this!

Rowan5215 likes this.
  11. Anthony_

It picks up like 12 or so episodes in and then never loses momentum after that. Once they ditch the procedural, thing-of-the-week former it becomes great.

awakeohsleeper and Rowan5215 like this.
  12. Rowan5215

agreed, but even the procedural stuff does some great groundwork for later seasons in its character work. I also genuinely like 'FZZT' and 'Eye Spy'

enjoy, and please keep us posted because I love reading people's reactions to the twists in this show lol. I don't think Disney+ has the last two seasons yet but hopefully they're working on getting them?

13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

They’ve just added S6 in the UK!

I’ll let you know how we get on!

Rowan5215 likes this.
  14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Rowan5215 likes this.
  15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Update on our run through if @Rowan5215 or anyone else is still interested.
    (Obviously there are spoilers if people haven't watched, haha!)

Season 2:
    As I already mentioned, we found the beginning of S2 a bit jarring - probably as we started watching immediately after S1. I think it was so many new characters. I found Hunter very annoying to begin with but actually he became one of my favs and some great comedic relief in S3.

Special shout out to Fitz - thought there was some great acting there navigating the issues he had post-S1. The relationship between him and Simmons was a bit frustrating during S2 but got better later on.

I enjoyed the story for the most part with new Hydra antagonist & the obelisk in the first half and then the Inhuman thread running throughout and Skye's relationship with her parents. The progression of the Ward situation was interesting and seeing him work with the team towards the end was an interesting dynamic. The climax of that part of the story with Ward/Bobbi/Hunter. It was excruciating waiting to see who would get shot. All the emotions.

The underlying story with the other SHIELD and Mack & Bobbi being undercover because people didn't trust Coulson was ok, but it felt like we had that story with Hyrda in Season 1. I know it's different but it has the same. The fact that it was resolved really quickly with the whole hellicarrier thing in Sokovia, to make way for the real climax with the Inhumans felt rushed and a bit disappointing, especially when it bubbled on for so long underneath.

I thought that the actual climax of S2 with the Inhumans was interesting, particularly with the revelation of Jiaying's dark side and Cal's redemption. I did feel sorry for Skye in the midst of it all.

And then Simmons & the Monolith...! What a cliffhanger.

Season 3:
    I thought the first half of this season was great. The fallout of the Terrigen crystals and then Simmons stuck on the planet was interesting. 4,722 Hours was an interesting episode and it was nice to see them try something else to tell that side of her story. You really hate Ward (if you didn't already) by the time he dies. You feel Coulson's pain & desperation on his vengeance war path. However, it was a bit predictable that he got taken over by Hive and I didn't enjoy the second half of the season as much.

The character development in this season with the team was great. I was absolutely devastated when Bobbi/Hunter left. I can understand as they were moving toward more 'powered people' and there were too many 'humans' but that was a big loss at that point. It kind of came out of the blue too.

Who Lash was had me guessing. Another brutal moment for May. I also enjoyed finding out a bit more about Mack. It was nice to see Daisy take on her name.

As I said, the second half wasn't as good for me. Although it was a twist to see Daisy taken over by Hive. Hive was a bit too Matrix-y in appearance with that long black coat.

The last few episodes were so intense - the way you know someone is going to die from the premonition but you're not sure who... it's a wild ride!

I am intrigued where they left it off with Daisy leaving the team. Looking forward to Season 4.

We've had a 4 week break after these two seasons because we binged watched them so intensely - the whole thing really leaves you on edge and heart rate up. Great television.

16. Anthony_

Season 4 is easily the best season overall

4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 2 > 3 > 1 I think would be the order for me.

awakeohsleeper and Rowan5215 like this.
  17. Rowan5215

awesome, we have similar thoughts on a lot of this haha. I'm a bit fonder of s2 than most people I think - it really takes me back to a simpler time and the first time I really fell in love with this show. that being said "the real SHIELD" twist is absolutely awful, I actually stopped watching for a few weeks after that happened lmao. it's so pointless and it doesn't even go anywhere!

I still think there's moments in that season that stack up with the best of the entire show. that scene when Fitz turns off the oxygen in Ward's cell, goddamn. I'm also glad you're enjoying Iain de Caestecker's performance as Fitz - somehow he's only gonna get better!

your thoughts on s3 seem in line with a lot of people's and I don't disagree with most of it. weirdly enough earlier this year the actor who played Will came out and said that he was actually meant to have a significant part in the entire second half of s3 but he was fired for drug use on set. it seems like the plan was for him and Ward to both make it back from the planet and fully lean into the love triangle thing between Fitz, Jemma and Will, but they had to change that storyline on the fly. maybe that contributed to s3 feeling a bit rushed/disconnected in some points, I don't know; I still enjoy most of it on the whole, and 4722 Hours/Spacetime are up there with the show's best episodes imo

18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Re-watched The Avengers the other day and was surprised to see Gideon Malick!

That thing about the plan for Will is quite interesting. I think I was kind of expecting that, but it would have probably been too much if Ward was involved as Hive still as well.

We've ended up watching S1 of Agent Carter instead so the rollercoaster ride that is this show will have to wait a bit longer!

19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

So, we finished Season 4 this evening and wow what a rollercoaster ride. An incredible watch.

Spoilers ahead of course if you’re casually scrolling through.

Firstly, I absolutely loved the Ghost Rider story and thought Robbie Reyes was a fantastic character throughout. As soon as I saw Aida, I knew that would be trouble and the second story arc was excruciating. Not knowing who was real was terrible. Or knowing someone was fake but everyone else not knowing!

I actually cried in that final episode when Simmons and Daisy hugged. It was just so tense and I could feel their anguish at not trusting if each other was real or a decoy. Unbelievable tension.

The third story in the Framework was also tense. I genuinely didn’t know what would happen. I was sad to see Mace go (even though it was heroic, it did feel a bit flat and I would have liked to have seen more of him) and I genuinely though Mack had died when they left him. The Agents of Hydra thing was interesting although I was fed up of Ward so didn’t need more of him (I guess seeing him as a good guy but still a double agent was fine? More fun was seeing Tripp - I missed him as much as Daisy.)

Fitz’s pain of realising all he had done in the Framework was nearly unbearable. Aida’s turn when they were together in quarantine was scary as anything. In fact, credit to the actress who was excellent as a robot, as Agnes, as Madame Hydra and as whatever witch demon she became.

Finally, i totally didn’t see the twist coming with Simmons’ death. Awful. I was in shock and could not cope. I know Fitz has a lot of shit to process (and yay for Daisy’s speech at the end), but if Fitz & Simmons don’t get a happy ending with a pleasant retirement or something then I hate this world.

Things I didn’t like: the Darkhold (not even sure if that’s how it’s spelt, ha!) just felt a bit too convenient to set things up. “Oh the Darkhold told me this” yeah, I get it, but it’s still...

Ivanov was a bit lame as a character. Again, a bit too convenient. Sure, he hates Coulson because of some Russian thing but... really? Just seemed like a stereotypical villain the sake of it when they had enough complex and intriguing villainy through Aida and the Framework.

Oh also, shooting Talbot in the head but he survives? What? Never seen that in any tv or movie.

Never really bought the May Coulson romance either. Kind of came out of nowhere for me and seemed plutonic up until it was needed.

Don’t build Life Model Decoys. Ever.

Weird end with Coulson and co kidnapped in space. Also intrigued by what Robbie said about a deal with the demon. Never a good idea. Hope we get more Ghost Rider.

If this show gets any more intense I wont be able to cope. We watched this in three weeks and took a break every weekend to calm ourselves down. Need a breather for a few weeks before starting S5...

20. Anthony_

the best season of the show by far

21. Iago

forbidden chalice.

i miss this show every day

Rowan5215 likes this.
  22. Rowan5215

same. what a ride this show was

that post up there just has me wanting to watch Self Control all over again lol

23. Rowan5215

so uh, I guess I impulse bought the first five seasons of this on DVD and am now watching them all over again, whoops. I really needed some TV comfort food lol

honestly, as much as we give the pre-Winter Soldier section of S1 a lot of shit... it's not like it's totally devoid of great stuff. even the weakest episodes have some really good character work, and Eye Spy and FZZT are genuinely great, clever early episodes that suggest what's coming later. (quite literally - I totally forgot the alien writing appears in Eye Spy, more than a season in advance of Coulson starting to do it)

24. Rowan5215

god the scene where Simmons and Fitz find out Ward is HYDRA simultaneously is just a masterful piece of writing and editing. so powerful

25. Maverick

Trusted

I’ve finally finished this show and wow! That was quite a rocky start but all the later seasons acclaim kept me going. I noticed from the start the joss whedon humor/style, while the man sucks I grew up loving Buffy/Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse so the show was already appealing me though I don’t care for case of the week/procedural type shows. By the end of the season with the Ward reveal it really starts kicking into gear.

2nd season was even better, especially Fitz’s story and development after what he went through. Always nice to see Kyle MacLachlan and Dichen Lachman (from Dollhouse and Severance)

3rd season things get more interesting with the monolith/Simmons in the alien world. Show gets even better

4th season. PART 1: Ghost Rider is cool, give this story arc a B+. PART 2: The introduction of Aida is the beginning of the greatest story arc this show ever had. By the end of this “pod” we get possibly my favorite episode of the series “Self Control” where you don’t know who to trust. I did not see the LMD switch out coming at all. This part gets an A. PART 3: The peak of the series. Agents of Hydra. The Framework. Evil Fitz. Daisy/Simmons trying to “wake up” the others. A+. Best TV Marvel season ever, with DD S3 and Wandavision trailing.

5th season. They really did it, now not only are they in space they’re in the FUTURE!? And their future future selves caused the Earth’s destruction? Fitz froze himself for a century to save Simmons! I have to admit I got a little weary of the dystopian alien future world and was ready to get back to the present. Really cool season by the end with them trying to subvert expectations knowing their path leads to annihilation.

6th season. It was so upsetting to see Fitz die but I was so relieved when the show reminded me that his past self was still frozen in space somewhere. I wasn’t a big fan of separating the team into 2 units for several episodes, and Not-Couslon/Sarge wasn’t the most engaging story but still enjoyed the season for the most part. Cool finale with May in the unfeeling dimension a highlight.

7th season. I’m a huge sucker for time travel arcs so I knew this season was going to be a treat. I was slightly letdown the past 2 seasons cause of how amazing s4 was but this season returned to the shows heights and surpassed them. Some of early episodes were silly but fun, and I was puzzled on no Fitz AGAIN but the show was still strong. Daisy’s time loop episode was incredible, one of the series best. And when we finally see Fitz in the penultimate stinger I was giddy! The finale was perfect. I was in awe and wonder and emotional over how Piper and Flint experienced like less than 5 minutes of time when Fitz-Simmons had a whole ass life, had a child, finally decided it was time to save the team, start the plan with the insertion of the implant, and travel through time with the team fighting the chronicums for a whole season, saving the world (again) before finally coming back for what they were fighting for, family.

4 > 7 > 5 > 6 > 3 > 2 > 1

awakeohsleeper, Iago and Rowan5215 like this.