Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie • Page 93

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

1. Good
    2. Good
    3. How much are they really gonna have to reference Thanos and the snap going forward? They addressed what needed addressing about that whole situation in FFH.
    4. Again, he doesn't really have a connection to any of them besides Tony.

coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Whether their good or not isn't the point. It's the fact the audience is going to go in thinking wtf is going on.

3. I mean, I just started re-reading Amazing Spider-Man and Peter and Spidey are currently split as people, so, you know ... I’m not that worried about comic book writers being able to figure out how to write their way into and out of stuff all the time if they need to. Maybe someone can say the words ‘Uncle Ben’ now.

4. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

It really won't be that hard to work with it. Mysterio is dead and gone. Vulture could just not come back and, even if he did, you don't have to mention Stark at all. Need to address his back story? He got his hands on alien tech and the government screwed him over. Done.

Spidey needs a new suit with no relation to Stark? He makes a new suit.

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Mysterio is dead, or 'cause he's Mysterio, maybe "dead," but his relationship w/ Spider-Man is personal now anyways, & I'm fine w/ him staying dead.

Vulture & Spider-Man also have a personal connection & don't need Iron Man in their relationship for that to continue to make sense.

I mean, in real life, people meet because of mutual connections & continue to be connected w/out that mutual connection being in the picture all the time. And, Tony Stark is dead. So who cares?

They were already talking about making Spider-Man his own man in the next film & letting him be that classic New York webslinger, so future villains shouldn't be connected to Iron Man either way.

His suit changes from film to film all the time, even w/in the same franchise. Not a big deal, especially if the identity reveal/accusation is used as the reason.

Why the heck would Thanos be brought up again?

Besides the deceased Tony, his only major MCU connection is Happy, who May broke up w/ at the end of Far From Home. Even Nick Fury he didn't actually spend any real time with.

With how they were organically moving towards a shift in approach w/ the character's connectivity, & how films ranging from Black Panther to Ant-Man & the Wasp mostly kept to themselves... General audiences aren't going to think anything seems weird. They'll just see another Tom Holland, Jon Watts, Zendaya, Jacob Batalon, Marisa Tomei film, probably w/ the full return of JK Simmons as Jonah, & be fine.

6. But if it doesn’t gross a cool billion I expect tantrums to be thrown.

7. Tim

Like, are you going to tell me that all those kids w/ cute pics of Tom Holland as their phone backgrounds, & all those Raimi stans who've wanted JK Simmons to return in every post-Raimi film... are gonna not see the next Spider-Man film... just because they're not gonna say Tony Stark's name in it?

Even though Far From Home kinda set Peter up to move on from Stark either way?

8. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

In the grand scheme of things I don’t care. I enjoyed everything up to this point and it kind of sucks to see those connections go, especially since it isn’t a hard reboot. On the other hand, these movies are usually pretty good about reworking things. Both properties are going to be fine. And I’m sure I’m gonna enjoy it either way. Just not looking forward to all the shit talking

9. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Yes. Let's be angry with capitalistic companies in a capitalistic society wanting...capital? I feel like a deal will be reached but I guess we'll see.

10. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Things will be fine in the end and ultimately, at least we'll have the comics to take comfort in when all else fails.

11. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

634426F0-1985-41E6-9819-D6845D42237A.jpeg

PauLo, Jim, Zilla and 3 others like this.
  12. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

The FFH re-release is just gonna add a slide saying "Spider-Man will not return" after the credits

13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I will see it twice if there's no Stark references, haha. Whilst I enjoyed both of these Tom Holland films from a fun perspective, they were so severely hampered by being in the MCU and having a Stark shadow cast over them.

Tim likes this.
  14. Tim

lol

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  15. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Jeremy isn’t wrong

16. Is it likely that Marvel Studios purposefully wrote Spider-man in a way to be more intertwined with the larger MCU (specifically, Iron Man) so that when they inevitably got to this point with the contract that it would force Sony’s hand in agreeing to a new deal?

When I think of the solo stories of Thor, Black Panther and Dr Strange - while they certainly tie in - they’re not as heavily reliant on the larger MCU to tell their stories.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  17. DarkHotline

I just think it's silly to just shrug shoulders and be like "Well, he really wasn't all there anyway and like Tony is the only reason he was around so it's cool that he doesn't come back."

Vase Full Of Rocks and Zach like this.
  18. GBlades

Trusted

I can't understand the business side, I see what's going on and understand that, I'm just not well versed in business practice to form a valid opinion that isn't SpIdEr-MaN MuSt Staay, Soony SuXXX.

I don't know Sony's plan for the character, I would ultimately love for Peter Parker to interact in the large MCU and the stories fit in a way that Marvel has the plans for this however is Sony wish to create an extension of that universe, whilst not completely disengaging, then I'm happy enough to let them do that. We have Spider-Verse, the Spider villians movies, the TV series. Seems Sony wants a Spider-Verse and are willing to fight for their right.

19. Disney could probably write a large enough check to buy back Spider-Man from Sony if they wanted. There's a number large enough, and they have the Monopoly money to do it. So I find all the celebrity "hey Sony do this" stuff just ... silly. Cause, they're not working for the mouse without a giant payday.

SpyKi, TEGCRocco and Zilla like this.
  20. DarkHotline

Spider-Man is pretty much a blue chip for Sony, they've made tons of money off of that since they acquired those rights decades ago and they're not gonna give it up. At this point, them and Universal are the only two left that has rights to certain Marvel characters since Disney bought out 20th Century Fox.

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think "Venom"'s massive success gave Sony a lot of confidence to walk away. It proved they didn't need Feige's name to make almost a billion dollars and could still be weird as hell (and not even mention Spider Man's name).

Tim likes this.
  22. Tim

If anything, Far From Home did the opposite: It set things up perfectly where, if the relationship broke down, both parties could keep doing their own thing for another, like, 5 years before the separation would feel narratively weird.

Narratively speaking, it's really not a leap at this point. Not too different from different eras of these characters in the comics. Heck, not that different from other MCU narrative threads that have been dropped.

Zilla likes this.
  23. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I don't get why people are so confident that the Venom sequel will do as well as the first one. I feel like a lot of the success of Venom came from the intrigue of him having his own movie for the first time. Now that it's been seen with very poor reviews, I feel like the success of the sequel could really go in either direction :shrug:

24. Venom audience score was over 80% though. Critics didn't like it. Audience's seemed too.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  25. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I will say it again but venom is the best buddy cop movie in a while.