Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie • Page 48

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I mean, both things are totally not okay. Both with the same filmmaker, too, and Ghost in the Shell wasn't even all that successful from what I recall. But hey, she spun GITS into a win for women while promoting the film, so hey, it's all cool... She's also continued to stand by Woody Allen from what I recall, which, ew.

I can't pretend I'm not still into a Black Widow movie, just as a fan of the character. The recent 12-issue run from Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, and Matt Wilson was particularly fantastic. But, Johansson casts a rough shadow on the character that'll affect my experience with the film when it happens.

2. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I'm honestly just not that excited for a Black Widow movie at this point. It feels a little too late. I'd much rather see, like, a Valkyrie movie or have them introduce She-Hulk or Kamala Khan. That's not to say I don't think a Black Widow movie would be good or that I wouldn't go see it, but I think there are characters that would benefit more from a solo outing than Black Widow would at this point.

awakeohsleeper and Davjs like this.
  3. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

The Woody Allen thing and the trans thing are not okay at all, but I'm indifferent to the GITS one. Anyone could have played that role Asian or American because the major is a cyborg that has had many different depictions and she was never explicitly stated to be Japanese. Do I think she should have been played by an Asian actress? Of course. They need more representation in blockbuster films and lead roles. But I'm not going to lash out especially since the director of the original film said they don't understand why it was a problem.

Edit: broken link. Here's a working one.

Ghost in the Shell’s Anime Director Mamoru Oshii Dismisses Whitewashing Claim

4. I take it that you didn't watch the movie?

5. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

What the fact that she was originally a little Japanese girl and her brain was transferred into a cyborg?

6. Tim

I vaguely remember you sharing Asian representation thoughts in another thread somewhat recently, and in light of that and this, I've gotta recommend that you talk a little less and listen a little more on these matters. It'll do you a lot of good. That's how I've learned as much as I have. (My favorite thing I've learned is that my "listen more" recommendation still matters a ton for me, too.)

I'm not of Asian descent, so don't take my word for it. But, if you look around honestly, you'll see that the Asian experience and the Asian American experience aren't the same thing, which plays into people from Japan being more cool w/ Scarlett than people of Asian descent in the West are.

And, yeah, the reveal that Scarlett's Major was a Japanese girl added another layer of gross.

7. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

That last line is just bad writing.

8. So how is that not explicitly stated that she is Japanese?

9. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

That's a singular instance in that movie, not the franchise. None of us knew that was going to be the reveal.

I don't understand why we are arguing about this. I'm just talking about semantics, I'm not talking about stuff like how The Ancient One and Mandarin should totally be played by Asian actors/actresses.

10. It's the same thing...

11. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

We're not going to agree. Just leave it at that.

12. Tim

Ok, yeah, I remember now you not getting why Iron Fist being white was problematic. I don't wanna keep arguing, especially when I'm just parroting what I've seen others say (since I'm not of Asian descent).

All I'll say is 1) you're wrong, 2) it's not an agree to disagree matter of opinion when it affects real people, and 3) research via the Internet for other people's perspective is good for you.

Whalejaw likes this.
  13. Vase Full Of Rocks Jul 12, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 12, 2018)
    Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I'm not wrong. Danny Rand was a white character. Should they not have used Danny Rand and made a different Iron Fist with an Asian actor? As I said before, yes of course. I was talking semantics. That's just a badly written character. That's not the same thing.

Edit: something happened with my italics and I can't turn them off.

14. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I love watching people argue with people I've blocked for being dumb

15. Vase Full Of Rocks Jul 12, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 12, 2018)
    Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Edit: Sorry, that was really rude of me. If you disagree with me so much you feel the need to block me, I understand. No matter how much we disagree, it gives me no right to insult anyone. I apologize if anyone read this remark before I edited it.

16. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

17. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Yessssss! Give me a good Fantastic Four already.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Curious to see what happens with all of the shelved films.

19. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Screenshot_20180719-162651_Chrome.jpg

A quote from Marc Maron. I believe this to be a ridiculous statement. He clearly just hates super hero movies, which is fine, but just come out and say it. You can't act like this trend of blockbuster films shoving out "grown up" and "provocative" stories hadn't existed before the super hero genre blew up. Furthermore, the hyperbolic nature of his comment about having to go to Siberia is fucking childish. Those movies exist. They are all over the place in the indie community and while I agree it would be nicer to see them have more of a presence in movie theaters the bottom line is they won't make as much money. You think super hero movies are the only reason why people think this type of popcorn flick entertainment is valid and good? Take a harder look at TV for the past 20 years and how we allow shit like Pretty Little Liars and Two and A Half Men shape people's minds of what defines good quality.

He doesn't get to define what being a grown up entails either. Discounting all the people who are dedicated and invested in the comic book industry is just rude and saying that they can't tell bigger stories than just "blam blam, space lasers and super strength" is ignorant.

Also, be a part of the solution, not just another person who bitches, Marc. Which is all you're good at doing.

20. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

Spot on. These movies are not stopping others from being made or prohibiting discussion of other topics.

21. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

He must have been picked on in high school for reading comics. Whiny brat.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

:heart:

coleslawed likes this.
  23. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I love that Milana Vayntrub is just Squirrel Girl on every front. I can't wait for the New Warriors series too.

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Oh damn. Will they use his script for Vol. 3?