Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie • Page 210

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I think it's mainly because fans are thinking about a look, which Krasinski does have the right look for a comics-accurate Reed.

I on some level kind of agree with that sentiment that until we get an actual good FF movie, I wouldn't want them to deviate too far from the comics.

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I truly hate casting just on looks alone. That's how we got Finn Jones!

3. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I'm probably not the target audience for this comment.

4. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Howerton is a much better pick for Reed IMO

5. tomtom94

Trusted

45 though, his career is practically over

Anthony_ likes this.
  6. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I think the question of race bending gets oversimplified too often between being hated by racists who think it takes away from their characters vs enlightened people who unapologetically support it.

The reality is that, with the ongoing Marvel Cinematic Universe, the corporate marketing factors that influence its decisions, and the larger web of Marvel Entertainment it’s part of (albeit as the largest part of that web right now by far)… it’s a bit more nuanced a topic than that, with a range of perspectives on various specific cases.

In this particular case, I have mixed feelings on the main Reed Richards being black insofar as how it would impact the future potential of Blue Marvel (who’s a rare black Marvel character actually created by a black writer). We’ve already seen, for example, how Peter having Ned-in-name-only complicates Miles having Ganke.

If we got Blue Marvel into Marvel Studios’ output in a prominent and/or recurring role, Kevin Grevioux would be credited and probably paid (probably less than deserved, like most comics people, but still). And, his miniseries would be reprinted, and that and Ewing’s Ultimates would get more eyes on them, and he’d show up on merch and in other media. And, Marvel comics would do more with him, likely at least partially hiring black creators for that. But, if they have a black Reed, they might not have as much room or desire for Blue Marvel, and then their only black scientist superhero with powers from an accident would be an anomaly in a white character’s publishing history, as directed by a mediocre white dude who did a few Spidey movies.

I will say, independent of current Marvel, doing something different with Reed sounds fun, much better than that awful Krasinski fan casting, lol. MBJ as Johnny was great. It’s just… messier with how the corporate machine and its audiences currently work.

Nathan likes this.
  7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

As for the “leaked” castings, I’d be fine with Howerton or Krasinski. The MCU has been pretty spot on with casting and I doubt Feige would simply “fan cast”. If Krasinski is Richards then obviously they saw something in his audition that stood out.

8. Anthony_

good one!

9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

That’s what I have been seeing as well.

And with the loss of Chadwick, BP2 could use that sort of character entrance, although, I would prefer a Storm introduction.

10. ghostxvapor

Trusted

MK trailer in a few minutes

11. ghostxvapor

Trusted

Rowan5215 likes this.
  12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

hopefully more than pretty good

13. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

14. delvec19

Trusted

15. finished season 1 of Daredevil and watched episode 1 of Jessica Jones last night. I realize I'm several years late here but Daredevil is so so so good.

16. Anthony_

Season 1 of Jessica Jones is even better tbh

17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

WanderingSquall likes this.
  18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Another leaker saying he’s heard things

19. PauLo

43% Burnt

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Anthony_ likes this.
  21. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

Based on some rumors that have gone around, I'm going to guess he's playing Ezekial Stane.

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

he looks nothing like jeff bridges?

he'd be great for namor. apparently that character is coming up soon. would be cool.

23. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Either this is a commentary on how sons should look more like their fathers, or you've forgotten Bridges played Obadiah Stane.

24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I could see him being the Human Torch.

25. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

.......... yes I know what character jeff bridges played lol, it would be a bit weird to cast an actor for the role of his son when that actor looks nothing like him