Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie • Page 123

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah, those are solid points. Had no idea about the rights automatically reverting if they were bought out!

I think the only way Sony would willingly sell the rights (for a reasonable price) is if they're on the verge of bankruptcy and don't want to sell off the company, and we also have to keep in mind how popular their PlayStation games are too.

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Sony only has the movie rights for Spider-Man. All other rights to him still belong to Marvel. The PS4 game was a Marvel licensing deal.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. RyanPm40

Ohhh okay, that makes sense. My bad!

4. Anthony_

As long as Sony can keep riding the wave of good Spider-Man MCU films to billion-dollar returns, I don't think they have any incentive at all to sell the rights. The fact that they even considered selling them for $10 billion was surprising to me, even at so high a number, just because as long as the deal remains in place they're going to keep making money off of that good will no matter how bad any of the spin-off films are (guarantee Morbius grosses between $500 million - $1 billion worldwide despite looking like pure excrement and starring a truly horrible person in the lead role).

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Ehh I wouldn't be so sure about Morbius grossing that much. It could MAYBE do $500m-$600m depending on word of mouth, but I'd be surprised if it went any higher than that. Morbius is a relatively obscure character even within Spider-Man's mythology. He doesn't have the name recognition that someone like Venom has nor does he benefit from being explicitly marketed as being part of the MCU.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Plus, Jared Leto isn’t exactly a box office draw

7. Anthony_

that’s still within the range I said, but also this movie is actually being explicitly sold as connected to the MCU based on the trailer whereas Venom wasn’t

8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Oh, I’m not putting any stock in Morbius, lol. That being their first film explicitly linking the SUMC w/ the Spidey films, especially just two & a half months before Venom 2, is scary for anyone on Team Sony (aka, me). High chance of being a both financial & critical bomb, imo.

I am really hopeful for Venom 2, though. You got the positive momentum from the first one’s box office, Woody Harrelson’s Carnage as an antagonist who can actually play off of Tom Hardy’s energy, no origin to run through, the addition of Shriek, Kelly Marcel upgrading from late rewrites (probably responsible for people’s favorite parts) to the screenwriter, & Andy Serkis directing. A lot of pieces that could really build off the successful elements of the first one.

Also super curious about that Oct 2021 slot.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

If the Oct 2021 date isn’t Spider-Woman and is instead another solo villain film I’m going to be pretty upset at Sony

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. Morbius looks awful. Wouldn't be surprised if it flopped.

I think Venom 2 will do well. I wonder how much it will try to connect to the Spidey movies.

11. Anthony_

Hydro-Man starring, idk, Luke Hemsworth?

12. Tim

I don’t think it’ll be Sinister Six yet, & if Kraven’s in Spidey 3, they won’t do that alleged spinoff only 3 months later. Only other rumored villain spinoff, I think, was Mysterio? Which, FFH used him & “killed” him; if he returns, it’ll be a surprise reveal in a Spidey film. So, I think we can pretty safely assume it’s not a villain film.

Unless Black Cat or Silk accelerated behind the scenes, Spider-Woman feels very likely. Which, as someone who has a framed Babs Tarr commission of Jessica Drew in my room, would make me very happy, lol.

13. Tim

4A2C2F5B-8581-4022-A742-F08A97D2B3B0.jpeg

Love this so much.

14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I don’t want Disney getting all of the Spider-Man rights. They have F4 and X-Men and it will already be years before we see those on the screen. Let Sony make the films that Marvel Studios doesn’t have the time for.

15. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I don’t trust Sony with Jessica Drew. They can fuck around with every other Spider-Man character though.

16. Tim

I trust the studio behind Into the Spider-Verse, Venom, Spider-Man 2, & Amazing Spider-Man a lot more w/ Jessica Drew than I do the studio behind Far From Home, tbh. I remember there being rumors, when the Fury & SHIELD elements were being confirmed, that FFH would feature her, & I'm really thankful it didn't. She deserves to get her proper due.

The only tricky part of giving her a film outside of the MCU is that her comic book version's origin is tied to Hydra & the High Evolutionary... but, like, who cares? Her comic book history is confusing & convoluted as fuck. There are differences between the original comics version, the Bendis retcon, & how the 1979 animated series handled her, plus the 1610 version who's a clone of Peter Parker. And, her original 50-issue series went from Morgan le Fay magical stuff, to traditional superhero stuff, to private investigator stuff (Alias, the series where Bendis created Jessica Jones, almost starred Jessica Drew instead). Plus, all that dumb Skrull impersonator stuff in Secret Invasion. Then, the (really good) recent series where she was pregnant, then a new mother.

As a really big fan of the character... I'm all for Sony being forced to scale back & reinvent the character in a simplified way that keeps the meat & throws away the bones, lol.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I think Marvel would do a good job on a Spider-Woman film. They have a great track record for origin films (Iron Man, CA: first avenger, Guardians 1, Ant-Man, Doc Strange). Homecoming and Black Panther were good but I wouldn’t classify them as origin films. I will remain optimistic that Sony does a good job, though.

18. Anthony_

Yeah I think I’m ready to say Ragnarok is #1 as well

19. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’d rank Ragnarok in the top 10 for sure. Probably not in the top 5 but around the 7-8 spot

20. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Last time I ranked it was 16 for me.

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

i like it a lot but i don't even know if it's the second best mcu that year

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Ragnorak is great but it feels too contained to be the best MCU film. I'd probably give that to the first Avengers or Civil War.

23. RyanPm40

It feeling contained is exactly why it's one of the best MCU films imo

Henry, awakeohsleeper and Tim like this.
  24. Tim

It’s between Guardians 2 & Ragnarok for me.

Between those 2 & Last Jedi, it’s wild how accidentally great Disney IP was in 2017.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

plus coco!!!

Anthony_ likes this.