Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie • Page 106

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

So the Marvel universe just got more extended, basically? After the MCU trilogy is wrapped up along w/ cameos in the next Avengers, we're getting some standalone spidey films in Sony's extended universe (?) with Venom, Mobius and pretty much the entire rogues gallery since they've got the rights to most of the villains and supporting characters. This means we're getting Spider-Man films without any of the Iron Man's intern garbage spilling over from the Avengers. And Spiderverse will probably benefit from this too, not to mention we'll might see Miles and Gwen in the live action films. Between the movies and video games I gotta say I can't remember there being a better time to be a fan of this IP.

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This is the part we can't really say right now.

The initial contract was for 2 Spider-Man films + 3 guest appearances in the MCU. The new contract added 1 more of each. After that wraps up, they could negotiate for a little more, & so on.

If at any point the contract ends & isn't re-upped before the next solo Spider-Man film, but Tom Holland still wants to play the character... Then, Sony will probably continue to use his supporting cast & history, just w/out directly referencing anything not w/in their Spider-Man rights.

So, imagine this second contract hadn't happened. We probably still would've gotten a Spider-Man film in 2021 w/ Tom, Zendaya, etc., following up on the story tease from the end of Far From Home. Mysterio, Jameson, Vulture, Aunt May, Ned, MJ, etc., all would still be on the table. However, while they probably wouldn't ever directly contradict the Iron Man or Avengers stuff, none of those characters would've been mentioned by name.

"Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters" was already started w/ the release of Venom, before Far From Home, so that's already a thing. The main new development, depending on how you interpret Kevin Feige's comments after the deal was struck, is this: Before, it seemed like as long as Sony & Marvel Studios kept making Spider-Man films together, the MCU & SUMC would have to be separate. Hence Venom's origin being tweaked to leave Spidey out of it. However, now Tom Holland's Spider-Man is in both the MCU and SUMC, simultaneously. Venom & the Avengers just very likely won't ever meet or mention each other, but as long as Sony & Disney keep signing new contracts, Tom Holland's Spider-Man will be allowed to hang out w/ both. (Which also means, no, there isn't any guarantee that Spider-Man films will be 100% Iron Man free in the foreseeable future, unfortunately. Though, if you take Feige's comments from months ago at face value, they should be at least easing up on that a little & letting the character breathe.)

All that being said... Yes, it's generally a great time to be a fan of this IP, lol.

Driving2theBusStation likes this.
  3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I'm curious how copyright laws work in regards to name-dropping another company's IP.

Like, if Sony didn't re-up with Marvel, what stops Spidey from name-dropping Stark from a past film while Deadpool gets to crack jokes about Thanos (prior to the Fox acquisition, of course)? Is it a matter of being satirical?

4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

5. Anthony_ Oct 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 7, 2019)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Been thinking about what Sony and Marvel could do to work out this issue for good and had what I felt was a good idea. I think they should just let Marvel fully have access to Peter Parker's Spider-Man. Let them continue to produce solo films and have him in the Avengers and whatever other MCU films Feige wants to put him in. Then, separately, Sony would start making their own solo, live-action Miles Morales films set on another Earth. Live-action Miles would have his own versions of classic Spider-Man villains and also be set in the same world as Venom and whatever other movies Sony wants to make. This would then be able to set up live-action Spider-Verse crossovers where Tom Holland and Miles Morales team up. And Sony would have to consult with Marvel so that the two franchises don't step on each other's toes (for example, if Live-Action Miles is going to battle Kraven in the next movie, Marvel can't also make a Kraven movie next even though the two versions of the character would be different).

I feel like this would be a fair compromise and would let everyone continue making money while not robbing the MCU of Spider-Man. Plus it lets Sony continue to capitalize on the success of Into The Spider-Verse.

6. Driving2theBusStation Oct 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 8, 2019)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Well with Tony being dead pretty sure the Spider-Man sidekick subplot probably is too, but yeah.

Knowing more about it, sounds like the deal was put in motion the second Sony lended characters to the MCU. Ultimately Marvel is the most beloved and successful franchise since Star Wars, and Disney and Sony are megacorporations who know they've got killer IPs that'll simultaneously improve if combined. The lamest thing about Homecoming and FFH's is how it feels like the focus shifted towards from stories revolving around Spider-Man characters to feeling like Avengers Spinoffs - benchwarmer villains, Parker being Tony's sidekick, etc - and arguably the worst part of Venom aside from it being a trash movie is that it's his origin story yet skips the entire symbiote saga. But depending on what Sony and Disney decide, upcoming films with characters from the MCU plus every iconic Spidey character will now be a possibility. We might finally get a definitive Spider-man saga on the big screen now.

Interesting take!

Anthony_ likes this.
  7. Tim

Describing Sony's decision-making w/ an intellectual property that they own the cinematic rights to as "robbing" is pretty ridiculous, tbh, regardless on where you stand on what you'd personally prefer seeing more of.

As for your solution, I think that'd be unnecessary & unnecessarily limiting. There's no reason why the same character, even played by the same actor, can't interact w/ two different continuities simultaneously. I heard Chip Zdarksy talk recently on a podcast about how Jason Aaron talked to him about using Daredevil in his War of the Realms comics, & Chip approved it while also saying it didn't line up w/ what he was doing, but that doesn't matter.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Him being a dick to everyone was no way connected

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Lol someone in the Hulk thread has a take that Ultron was the last well written rewatchable MCU film

That's some grade A trolling

SpyKi and RyanPm40 like this.
  10. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Checkout that dude’s bio though lol

11. RyanPm40

Huh I searched chorus for Hulk and all I get are posts from this thread/Avengers and a bunch of other random places lol

12. Zach

Trusted Supporter

He meant the twitter thread haha

RyanPm40 likes this.
  13. RyanPm40

Lmao wow I'm dumb

14. Zach

Trusted Supporter

No you’re not, I did the same exact thing haha

iCarly Rae Jepsen and RyanPm40 like this.
  15. PauLo

43% Burnt

Me too! Glad I’m not the only idiot haha

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Deadpool discussions happening?

coleslawed, morgantayler and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

thats pretty fucking cool

20. Tim

I know this is gonna be hard to believe, but that Comic Book Movie Dot Com headline is Misleading & Dumb.

The actual quote:
    Which means... the same thing that everything has been pointing to since the merger. Their permission to exist & be R-rated has not been revoked. A third Deadpool film continuing that continuity is probably on the way before too long. However, there is still no evidence of those films being in Kevin Feige's Marvel Cinematic Universe; even their "hopes" are just playing a little bit "in that sandbox."

Until an actual new official update is released by Marvel Studios and/or Kevin Feige, the best assumption tbh is that Deadpool exists in its own universe but might be able to use MCU elements in non-MCU-canon ways (like the Dark Phoenix cast's cameo in Deadpool 2), which would also be the best case scenario for all parties involved.

coleslawed and RyanPm40 like this.
  21. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. RyanPm40

I was watching a fan theories video with Kevin Smith and thought this one was funny: Degrassi is in the MCU because Kevin Smith was in Degrassi as himself, and Stan Lee was reading a script for Mall Rats in Captain Marvel lol.

coleslawed and ECV like this.
  23. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

24. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I just hope Feige isn't spreading himself too thin