Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Martin Shkreli Is Convicted at Securities Fraud Trial

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Associated Press:

Martin Shkreli, the eccentric former pharmaceutical CEO notorious for a price-gouging scandal and for his snide “Pharma Bro” persona on social media, was convicted Friday on federal charges he deceived investors in a pair of failed hedge funds.

A Brooklyn jury deliberated five days before finding Shkreli guilty on three of eight counts. He had been charged with securities fraud, conspiracy to commit securities fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

Raku likes this.
  2. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Good.

Raku likes this.
  3. I wonder what that sentence entails? I saw he could get up to 20 years in jail.

Raku likes this.
  4. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Feeling good this Friday afternoon.

Raku likes this.
  5. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

Good. Fuck this guy

6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I hope he sells the Wu-Tang Clan album in order to pay for his finances. PLEASE

Raku, beachdude42, honkytonk and 6 others like this.
  7. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

lol

Raku likes this.
  8. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Hope he gets the full 20

9. bdoyle0182

He won't get more than a year or two in prison at most. He is a first time offender, the twenty year number was if he was convicted of all counts but he was only found guilty of three. Plus the fact that he actually made money for the investors he took money from. He did something illegal, by taking their money without their permission and using it in his hedge funds but he ultimately made them money. The judge will take all of that into account. No matter how much of an asshole this guy is, he's not going to see much jail time.

10. This is what I expected. Thanks for breaking it down!

Raku likes this.
  11. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

It does highlight that whether you're doing white collar or blue collar crime (but especially the former), you probably should avoid the spotlight instead of trying to become a CEO celebrity. It will come back to get you!

Raku likes this.
  12. Saephon

Regular

The same sociopath tendencies, inherited money, and lack of experiencing consequences that create a person like this, are also what frequently leads to them being blatant assholes/liars in public. They've never gotten burned their entire life because of the power and money that protected them, so being careful or empathetic doesn't occur to them. See Donald Trump.

13. CSWAPPO

Regular

FUCKER

Raku and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  14. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Karma for Pharma BRO

15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Co-sign the fuck this dude

FUCK this motherfucker

Raku likes this.
  16. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

fuck this dude so much. his obsession with lauren duca is really really disturbing

17. hoodrat

Regular

Apparently he played a bunch of it on his live stream today hahaha

Raku likes this.
  18. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

CoffeeEyes17 and Essie like this.
  19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

He's honestly probably not super bummed about this. He seems to get off on being a "villain"

20. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

So we gotta hope he gets killed in prison then.

That's what I took away from that.

21. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Shkreli: hey can i get something to eat

Warden: gonna cost you $10,000

Shkreli: i thought food was free in prison?

Warden: the price just went up unexpectedly

*end scene*

22. Ska Senanake

Trusted

That's pretty harsh even for scum like farty marty.

23. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

It was bdoyle0182's idea, not mine.

24. Raku

Regular

I forgot about this evil SoB, but now I remember reading about him on here earlier after looking his name up on Wikipedia.

According to Wikipedia, he used that album as a bargaining chip. If Hilary Clinton became president; he was going to destroy it. While with Donald Trump he was going to release the album (along with other unreleased music he had in collection for free). Scumbag didn't fully live to his promise. Only releasing the intro, and parts of two other songs.

Knowing him, he's probably waiting till 2020 (and possibly future elections) to hold the album hostage again =/