Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marriage Story (Noah Baumbach, 2019) Movie • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by username, Jul 23, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

phaynes12 and Kate like this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

love 2 see it

3. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

My favourite thing to come out of the discourse is the mafia movie stan accounts calling this depiction of a failed relationship “unrelatable” because they’re middle class

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I would call them upper class, as much as Adam Driver says he does not have money

5. phaynes12

they’re upper class but it isn’t because of adam driver’s finances lol

OhTheWater likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh, I know. Her mother was an actress

phaynes12 likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Nicole also probably still got royalties from when her movie played on tv
    also him being in debt because of the theater company is still privileged in a way, having the ability to pursue art while his wife works for him and he has a kid and a nice Manhattan apartment is a lot

supernovagirl likes this.
  8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I haven’t seen the Twitter arguments about that, but their privilege did take me out of the film a bit, and certainly became something I thought about when I looked back on it

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The courtroom scene where you see all the everyday people waiting while their bullshit goes on at least acknowledged the privilege to me. The movie knows these people are well-to-do and don’t have to worry as much about some things as the average person.

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I loved when the judge said that specifically.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

see that part is where I’m conflicted. It is clear what the scene is meant to do, but I dont know if that’s enough to get me fully invested in the characters

12. phaynes12

the rest of the movie didn't get you invested in them? you have to know if they have a 401k or not to have interest?

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

To be honest the movie didn’t leave me with a strong enough feeling to engage in a better argument. It happened, the acting was solid, and it left me.

imthesheriff likes this.
  14. Nathan

I can invest in privileged characters, the ultimate conflict of Scarlett Johansson feeling voiceless and Adam Driver’s obliviousness to their issues spoke true to me independent of everything else

SpyKi, skoopy, TEGCRocco and 4 others like this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah, I recognize that aspect of it and can relate to it. I just don’t know how connected I was overall

Nathan likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Me being pissed at SJ for all the dumb shit she’s said over the past year(s) honestly may have impacted how I felt about the film and I don’t know what I can do about that

phaynes12 likes this.
  17. Nathan

So many actors are idiots. It’s fair, but learning to just take in the performance is where I try to come from first with a movie (especially as long as the actors aren’t violent). It’s tricky though. I get it.

riotspray, CarpetElf and OhTheWater like this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This is just about the only ScarJo movie you could get me to pay for at this point. I love everyone else so much that I couldn’t skip it. I wouldn’t say it hurt my enjoyment much at all except on a meta level.

19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I thought this was great. A strange mix of depressing and light-hearted. It made an interesting choice for a date night movie haha. Alan Alda and Laura Dern stole the show for me.

It leans a little too hard on Charlie's side though. We see how selfish he really is this relationship, but it still asks us to feel for him a little more than Nicole.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I was on Nicole's side but I was also coming at a place where I know this guy so even when she was acting out at counseling or met with the lawyer it was like yeah he wouldn't listen to reason I get it

but you're right she "wins"

21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The only thing I would have wanted to see that wasn’t included was more from her perspective further into the story. The beginning was pretty evenly split on showing what each of them was going through and how they were getting on, but that shifted pretty sharply later on to focus on Charlie. Seeing more of her success on the show and especially her experience in the director role for the first time would have been great to help maintain an equal balance for who to invest in.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah I hated how they made her movie and the tv show seem kinda dumb, and we didn't know how she felt about that teen movie which men decided was dumb and horny

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  23. Kate

Trusted

What GG film???

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

little women

Kate likes this.
  25. Nathan

The movie is largely from Charlie’s perspective but I wouldn’t say it takes his side or asks us to sympathize with him more than her. Part of what works so well for me about it is that it starts out with her unleashing all these feelings that she’s obviously kept inside, and he sort of doesn’t try to understand them and he gradually pays more and more for it.

I have seen some talk that her struggle is told (her monologue to Laura Dern, what comes out in their arguments), while his is shown (his struggles finding a lawyer, his kid’s attachment to LA/his mom), and I can understand that, but it works for me. If you come from a place of believing her character, the scenes with Driver don’t read particularly sympathetic to me. It also I think truthfully puts her character in a place of having to instigate everything because of who he was, his inattentiveness, and then bafflement that everything wasn’t fine because everything felt fine to him. Obviously the film is autobiographical in some respects and Baumbach is coming from Charlie’s perspective, but it feels unflinching in admitting flaw.