Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marriage Story (Noah Baumbach, 2019) Movie • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by username, Jul 23, 2019.

1. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Also the internet has Chris Hemsworth at 6’3” but I feel like he’s 6’4”

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

pretty much any actor can look much taller/shorter respectively based on cinematography. im sure some of it might have to do with shoes too. also, when you're standing next to RDJ and ruffalo, you're gonna look massive haha

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  3. PepsiOne

I’m 6’4 and I’ve stood next to him a bunch and clocked him at or very close to my height. But maybe his beefcakery gives him an inch lol

EASheartsVinyl and phaynes12 like this.
  4. phaynes12

you've stood next to chris hemsworth a bunch?????????

riotspray, EASheartsVinyl and mad like this.
  5. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Ever since watching this I keep thinking about when she ties his shoe in the final scene and it makes me want to bawl. Even after getting a divorce and never wanting to be with someone again, sometimes you can still do a small gesture or say nice things like that that show there’s always going to be some sliver of love and friendship there. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Perfect ending.

6. PepsiOne

For work! He’s a sweetie

riotspray and phaynes12 like this.
  7. phaynes12

man, you must have a p dope job haha

riotspray and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  8. PepsiOne

As of the spring I’m solely an editor, but prior to that I was doing a lot of camera which was much cooler for sure lol

9. tdlyon Dec 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 21, 2019)
    tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yup, this is absolutely phenomenal. It's like 2h15m and it felt like maybe 45 minutes had passed, I was glued to it the entire time. SO well-written and amazingly acted on all fronts. I really love how it really doesn't clearly present one side in the right (though for a while towards the middle it seemed really sympathetic to Charlie and kind of painted Nicole in the worse light but that definitely isn't the case by the end)

I actually really want Phoenix to win the Oscar still just because I want him to have one lol but Driver was just incredible in this and deserves it just as much

10. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

How the fuck did Phoenix not win for The Master? What won that year?

11. phaynes12

DDL, and deservedly so. It’s more insane that Christoph Waltz beat PSH for supporting based on Django

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. SpyKi

I've never seen Lincoln but I can imagine DDL did a great job. PSH was definitely better than Waltz though.

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The Master may be the best movie ever made. I'm still baffled that people were lukewarm on it at first. Idk how you could have anything but an intense, visceral reaction to it.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  14. phaynes12

it is easily one of the best of the decade. i still would take TWBB over it.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  15. SpyKi

I was kinda lukewarm on it back in 2013 or whenever I watched it, no idea why now. I rewatched it last week and it's an easy 10.

16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I was also lukewarm on it when I saw it in theaters but because it was just so different than what I expected, or wanted, or I don’t really know. Then watched it again years later and realized it’s a masterpiece.

17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Watched this today and I think it confirmed it for me. I don’t want to ever have kids.

riotspray and CarpetElf like this.
  18. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Finally watched this and absolutely loved it. Wow, opening scene of the year.

19. chris

Trusted Supporter

Finally watched this last night, really liked it a lot and loved the performances, but this is what I have thought about most since then

OhTheWater likes this.
  20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Right? Like it feels weird to be so dismissed for this opinion. Being able to kind afford a NYC and LA apartment and a high class lawyer is nowhere near relatable to me, and that took me out of how naturalistic or “normal” these characters are supposed to be

chris likes this.
  21. yung_ting Dec 24, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 24, 2019)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I relate far more to being a mob hitman than I do to having shortcomings in a relationship

I get what @OhTheWater is saying but about how this is more naturalistic or meant to be relatable I guess, but that’s still manufacturing intent. Things can hold universal truths even if they are miles away from your personal experience, and I still saw every failing as if it could’ve been my own on a much smaller scale

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I absolutely connected to some of the characters in The Irishman far more than I connected to anyone in this, if you wanna make that weird comparison. Nothing in this was super truthful or meaningful to me. It happened, the acting was okay and I walked away. I mostly appreciated the introductory scene and then got less interested as it went along. Dern and Alda and Driver were all good, but I am not thinking about this anymore. It passed over me like The Holiday passed over me

23. Maverick

Trusted

The apartment scene particularly when Adam Driver covers his face crying was extremely relatable to me.

24. yung_ting Dec 24, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 25, 2019)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

That definitely sounded snarkier than intended, I guess I just don’t see why this is taking a lot of flack due to the financial situation of the protags when so many other recent, highly lauded films are way more out of the realm of what I assume is the personal experience of most average folk

It’s fine than this didn’t work for a lot of people, I’m an admittedly easy mark for Baumbach, I just don’t put much stock in that argument personally

I maintain that this is a very humane film and I saw a lot of my best and absolute worst inclinations in both of these characters

25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I’d consider anyone who can’t relate to this movie lucky.

supernovagirl and DrAlanGrant like this.