Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus Wants to Experiment More With Blink-182 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 30, 2019.

1. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Tom didn’t give a fuck about this band for years and probably still doesn’t. We likely wouldn’t even have a new song much less yours if he were in the band. I don’t understand this pining for him. You can’t time travel and get 2001 Tom back in the band.
    Both!

AshlandATeam and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  2. 44DeLonge

how can you do this with John Feldmann?!?!
    bring back Tom thats all you need for another great blink 182 album...

Raku and AllenRicketts like this.
  3. The last like three news posts about the band have been them working with other songwriters and producers...

4. Jacktheskipper

Regular

.... just realized that, too ... either you now have a cool line up, that's creative enough to experiment and has fun playing music or ... na ... whatever pays the bills I guess ... don't get me wrong here, new Blink is better than no new Blink, but I really hope I'll dig a couple of songs and it always leaves a stale taste in my mouth when bands like Blink work with songwriters heavily ...

5. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I bet Tom would argue that point about time traveling.

6. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Here's the thing - they have experimented. "Love is Dangerous" is a WEIRD song! But it's great, because it's still got the blink-ness that most people love about the band.

Whatever the hell song they just wrote with Steve Aoki is fine and catchy but it's not Blink.

I agree that ditching Feldmann is the best move, and I even like California quite a bit! But if they want to get weird, get REALLY weird.

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Agreed! I listened to Neighborhoods the other day and it still holds up very well for me.

Raku and AllenRicketts like this.
  8. DooDooBird

Trusted

Experimental Blink doesn’t do it for me. I’m in this minority camp that believes Enema and TOYPAJ is light years better than Untitled.

9. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Not minority at all. I still think TOYPAJ is their best front to back record.

Raku likes this.
  10. somethingwitty

Trusted

Bringing in outside songwriters never seems like a great idea...always seems to be a precursor to bands chasing trends or making the jump to Top 40.

Just get the 3 of them in a room and give us a tight 6 song punk rock EP. I really hope they don't go the jock jam route like FOB and Panic did with their cowriters.

11. I disagree. :shrug:

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  12. SpinelessYesBloke

Co-host of The Wasting Time Podcast

Could also be called an Enema of the State 3?

13. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  14. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Joe4th and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  15. FrankieThe4th

Joe4th and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  16. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'm down for some experimental blink. As I go back through my favorite blink tracks, a lot of them are the "non-traditional" (from a pop-punk perspective) ones. From the last album, "San Diego", "Misery", and "6/8" were a few of my top tracks. "Kaleidoscope" was my favorite track from Neighborhoods. So yeah, bring it on. I think blink-182 has done a great job of still connecting with their core sound (especially considering the line-up change) while not regurgitating the same songs over and over.

I'll always have a love and respect for New Found Glory, but their must hasn't connected with me in any meaningful way since 2007. And I'm not blaming the band at all. I've changed, and I don't think the music has. I still listen to their albums from time to time (especially with my twin two-year-olds since I have to be more careful with profanity and whatnot--they already have excellent music taste). But it just doesn't stick with me in any way. That being said, From The Screen To Your Stereo Part II was awesome, so I've got high hopes for Part III.

17. DooDooBird

Trusted

Those songs you mentioned were all good Blink songs and aren't what I would consider "experimental" Blink. I'm just worried we'll end up getting crap like Love Is Dangerous, Bottom Of The Ocean Floor or whatever, Fighting The Gravity and all that stupid shit I can't stand. Maybe it's just me. I dunno. Also, no Interludes either. Not big on Travis's instrumentals and flange and industrial sounding beats and all that. Just no. And no old ladies reading letters before the song begins either. Lame.

Ok. End of rant.

18. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Stopped reading when you dissed Stockholm Syndrome's intro. Doesn't mean as much when it's your last point but whatever lol

russvanderhoof likes this.
  19. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I’m not actually a IV haha it’s more to do with my last name

FrankieThe4th likes this.
  20. FrankieThe4th

oh haha, now it makes a lot more sense why that guy asked if we were related