Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus of Blink-182 Reveals Cancer Diagnosis • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Alt comment was directed to the paragraph above you.

2. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Processing feelings around this can be a bit tricky since I don't know the guy at all, but still feel like he's been a friend/cool older brother for the last 25ish years due to the songs, shows, and countless random goofy video clips that have orbited the majority of my existence. His influence on me and most of my closest friends is immeasurable.

I'm glad he seems to be in good spirits and is getting the support he deserves from docs/family/friends/fans. Next time he's on stage is going to be fucking awesome.

Allthegiganticthings likes this.
  3. Earnie Banks

5 is TOUGH

1) M&Ms
    2) Emo
    3) Waggy
    4) Don't
    5) Lemmings

I love the man, and have been influenced by him since I was in 7th grade in 1997. Prayers up

fredwordsmith likes this.
  4. meekers

Baseless claims without evidence. Go back under your bridge you antisocial troll.

5. Jason

Regular

Blink's best song IMO.

6. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

Y'all can't be shocked that @Anthony_ is a clown lol.

7. ItsAndrew Jun 24, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2021)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Like I said in an earlier reply I think there’s a time and place to make a fuss about Blink’s questionable actions. They’re not immune to criticism and have definitely done things worth criticizing. That being said, now is absolutely not the time and it feels weird bringing those past actions up now, especially when they primarily are from Matt and Travis. It’s not as if Mark has done something horrific and it’s forever intertwined with him. Obviously call the band out when they need to be called out but come on, there’s nothing to gain from bringing stuff up yet again (that again, is more @ Matt and Travis) when the dude just got diagnosed with cancer and could die.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. I don't want to add to the mess. I just wish I'd gotten here sooner because anyone who went after Audrey after she explained her autism should be ashamed of themselves. Beyond that, coming into a thread dedicated to someone's cancer diagnosis to stir shit up is narcissistic and tasteless. It really should not be that hard for neurotypical folks to know how to conduct themselves in a thread like this.

Fuck cancer, bottom line. Wishing and hoping for all the best for Mark.

9. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

This was all good and well until wanting censorship. Having a site with people that share only your beliefs and not wanting anything counter is scary.
    I wonder how many people have me blocked :tear:

Raku likes this.
  10. simonbelmont

Regular

Amen you can't even like certain artists without being accused of sharing their supposed beliefs. Nobody's perfect, but you wouldn't know it by glancing through these forums.

There's a boatload of people here who are totally right with God on every moral issue (even the ones that oppose others!) and also have friends who are perfect and families who are perfect as well. You won't find any flawed people here. They don't hesitate for a second to put you down if you don't comply fully with their views on everything with either.

I mean just look at what happened with the people who deify Mark... they just trampled on a person with autism because this person dared to say what they felt.

Any more I just read. What's the use in sharing your opinion if it runs counter to what the perfectionists believe? God forbid you have an opposing viewpoint from the people who constantly believe they always have the moral high ground.

Anyways I think it's perfectly fair to say I dislike Mark Hoppus, but I wish him a speedy and full recovery because cancer doesn't give a f*ck what you think about everything. It kills us all just the same. So I hope like hell he dominates this sickness and gets back to doing what he was put here to do play f*cking bass and write killer music.

Anthony_ and Raku like this.
  11. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

Never the kind of news you want to hear about someone, especially someone who has probably had an impact on many of our lives here as we were growing up. All the love to you, Mark. Get well soon!

12. prattsy

Regular

Wow. That's wild. Just blocked him and voila - out of sight out of mind. Granted I'll be really confused the next time something like this happens without the context but I think it's okay to not read that garbage and move on.

Thanks for the tip!

Anthony_, DarkHotline and David Parke like this.
  13. IbanezRX

I agree with you. I learned recently that you can’t actually share your opinion on here without people jumping down your throat. Kind of a shame :/

Anthony_ and Raku like this.
  14. I didn’t know what was happening for a while. It’s great.

Anthony_ and prattsy like this.
  15. dzyjay

Regular

Go might be the best mark song.

16. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

This was near tops on my list but since Tom screams the chorus I didn’t count it.

17. GSDubs

This news is heartbreaking. So young and such a meaningful part in the lives of so many. Remember when I was at a blink show at shoreline here in the Bay Area and Tom was nagging mark to give his bass away to some fan and mark was like I only have like 2 more basses for this tour and of course he gave it away and Tom gave away his guitar and Travis gave away his sticks. Such a great memory. Wish I was in the front row to score some of that loot! But anyways, any cancer diagnosis is tragic and just sending prayers and good vibes his way.

Favorite Mark song: going away to college, came out when I was graduating junior high, different moment in life, but similar emotions.

summertimejesus likes this.
  18. Jetslickz Jun 25, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2021)
    Jetslickz

Mark will forever be one of the most influential celebrity/musician's in my life. In fact, if you had granted me a wish to meet any celebrity, I would likely have said Mark Hoppus. Imagine how many people would say the same thing, especially on this website? How many fans got through hard times thanks to music from Blink or +44? He's had such a positive influence on people's lives. Anyone who hates Mark for minor gripes (i.e. featuring on 'problematic songs' thanks to Travis' influence) needs to bare in mind he's been in the spotlight for decades now and nobody is perfect. We would all get dragged for *something* as you can't be everyone's friend. One or two misteps (it's not like he's a criminal) is never comparable to the astronomically positive influence someone has made.

Beyond his music, Mark gave us an insight into his life and personality with all these documentaries and home videos that Blink have released. Growing up watching the Urethra Chronicles and seeing these charismatic superstars having the time of their lives with their best friends and making beloved hits really influenced me to pick up the guitar and molded my personality. Blink's jokes may be considered outdated now (in hindsight) but they made you feel like you were having a laugh with your friends and that helped boost their popularity to stardom.

summertimejesus and prattsy like this.
  19. Jetslickz

Also, it's bittersweet going through Mark's likes on Twitter, reading all the support and anecdotes on how Mark has positively influenced their lives. I can't imagine the emotions he is going through right now but to know you have the support of a loving family and even millions of fans supporting you must be incredible motivation to kick cancer in the ass... just like Tom did!

Best of luck, Mark.

blink180ryan likes this.
  20. DaveDalva Jun 25, 2021
    DaveDalva

Representing the 514

This is a tough pill to swallow, but I'm hopeful he'll make a full recovery. Gonna rock blink-182 all day today at work - they can complain about the noise as much as they want, I don't give a fuck. :)

21. prattsy

Regular

Great posts.

Maybe I misunderstood, but did Tom fight cancer as well?

22. DaveDalva Jun 25, 2021
    DaveDalva

Representing the 514

So hard to choose only 5!

- Apple Shampoo
    - Lemmings
    - Going Away to College
    - Wendy Clear
    - A New Hope

This is off the top of my head, so I'm sure I forgot a bunch of gems. He's such a beautiful man.

EDIT: I've already come up with more than 5 songs.

Earnie Banks likes this.
  23. Jetslickz Jun 25, 2021
    Jetslickz

Thank you! Yeah, that's right. Tom had skin cancer back in 2010 that he thankfully recovered from. I don't know too many details about the situation but it sounded like he spotted it early so it got treated quickly and was able to put it past him.

Here's a 2020 insta post from Tom that references his former cancer battle and shows him taking preventive measures against something similar to possibly occur again (highlights the importance of checking your body for any abnormalities):

He did momentarily bring the fan-favorite Boomer character back for a 'Boomer Loves Boobies' campaign to help the sponsor Keep A Breast on tour. The source below explains that in detail.
    Source:
    Exclusive Interview: Blink-182's Tom DeLonge on beating cancer, DJ AM and dancing with himself - Alternative Press

Not trying to compare it to Mark's situation as it's obviously different but just trying to remain positive/hopeful and wishing him the best in his road to recovery.

Raku and prattsy like this.
  24. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

although new music is not the focus here at the moment, i am curious to know if this will result in darker blink music.

Jetslickz likes this.
  25. DooDooBird

Trusted

My Top 5 “Mark songs”

Online Songs
    The Party Song
    Wasting Time
    Apple Shampoo
    Wendy Clear

Man, he’s got some real gems during those prime Blink years.