Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus of Blink-182 Reveals Cancer Diagnosis • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 23, 2021.

1. KrisArronNev

Trusted

Fuck Cancer. This is the shittiest of news. I hope they've found it quick enough to give Mark a fighting chance.

Jetslickz, Raku and OA23456 like this.
  2. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Wish a mod would have come in here to speak out about it.

3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

People called them a garbage human and a weirdo after they explained their situation. That's indefensible imo

coleslawed, Raku, GrantCloud and 7 others like this.
  4. ZeoVGM

Regular

An embarrassing attempt to spark up the argument that had already ended.

But hey, keep trying to make someone else's cancer diagnosis about yourself.

5. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Anthony has to take any chance he has to be the accountability police even when it’s completely the wrong time and place. People like him are the reason people are uncomfortable talking about accountability in the first place.

6. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Folks, just block him. He’s a toxic person and to be honest, it genuinely will accomplish nothing arguing with him.

7. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

For real, just stop feeding the troll. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s the most blocked person on the site.

8. prattsy

Regular

My boomer moment of the year but... you can block people here? How do I go about doing this? And they just don't show up on forums for me?

falafelmywaffle and beachdude like this.
  9. beachdude Jun 24, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2021)
    beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

As someone also on the autism spectrum, I certainly have had situations in the past where I’ve felt like I didn’t realize how my words would be interpreted. Personally I’ve tried to take most of those as learning experiences and apply what I learned going forward. I certainly know what it feels like to feel ganged up on and it sucks. No one deserves to feel that way.

That being said, I really don’t think re-litigating these old issues that have been brought up constantly on here regarding Blink at THIS particular moment is going to lead to any productive conversation. We don’t even know how serious Mark’s condition is. Why even mention it? The first user to do so realized why people were upset and apologized, which is fair… so why someone else would choose to double down on this after it already died down is beyond me.

I swear there are some people on here who feel like they just have to flaunt their perceived moral righteousness at *every* possible opportunity, even when the timing is wildly inappropriate. In any case, I wish Mark a full and speedy recovery.

10. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

Click on their username and there will be a popup with a block button.

11. OA23456 Jun 24, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2021)
    OA23456

@Anthony_ loves to be the center of attention, and use these situations for his self-serving "holier than thou" mentalities to come through. He could be out trying to make a difference in his community, instead of writing self-serving posts to get his 10 likes from the same predictable people who feel good about themselves, while ironically being counterproductive towards making an actual change to the community. They'll hide behind their keyboards and think they're better than the users they belittle, while most definitely doing little to nothing to try to make an actual change in the world.

Right now someone who @Jason Tate has had very personal interactions with who clearly loves and respects Jason is potentially dying of cancer, and he's getting dragged on the site Jason runs (that he could potentially be a visitor of) This father, son, husband just shared very personal, earth shattering news that will impact his life and many others for years to come, or potentially forever if he doesn't make it through. Instead of wishing him the best, or just I don't know, not saying anything out of respect @Anthony_ decides that's the best time to drag him through the mud, but claim high ground that it was "out of solidarity for a user" Save us the high horse knight in shining armor nonsense. You were writhing for the opportunity to say something negative about this situation, and saw your moment and took it.

It's honestly unfortunate YOU don't have a platform so we'll never know what you're guilty of past/present for us to drag you through the mud for. Clearly you're overcompensating for something. It goes without saying you've never been perfect, and everyone you've come into contact with and had close relationships with are not and have not been perfect. Yet you'll hide behind your keyboard and act like you're the hero everyone needs, and collect your 10 likes so you can feel like you're making an actual difference, when in reality you're being counterproductive. You're driving and have driven women, POC, LGBT and many others off this site for your own self-serving high moral ground non-sense that serves no purpose.

The fact that right now you're liking posts of people calling you out, instead of taking a moment to quietly reflect and think MAYBE just MAYBE you're not as perfect and haven't been as perfect as you seem to believe you are is psychotic.

@Jason Tate Shame on you for allowing users like this and his pathetic minions to continue to drive people who financially supported your site, people who respected you, and allow people to drag someone potentially dying of cancer who is a big reason you ever got a platform in the first place.

12. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

You can click on the profile name and typically, you can block them. If you can’t, go to the side bar menu, go to Options, click on Blocking, and when you get to the menu, type in the name and you’ll be able to block them.

beachdude likes this.
  13. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I don't have a dog in this fight other than kinda chuckling at making fun of someone else for wanting to be the center of attention prior to writing a 5 paragraph essay and pretending to be a doctor offering a prognosis.

Also, as a cancer survivor, don't do this shit.

14. I am sorry for whatever I have done to let you down, or become a source of your scorn, I am sure I deserve it. I am not in any mental space right now to argue with anyone on the internet. Nor do I want my words in a thread about a man who has changed my life to be anything but love for him, and his family and friends.

15. OA23456

Never once offered a prognosis. No one outside of who he wants to know knows how serious it is. You're missing the point if that's what you took from it. Also, happy for you that you survived cancer, and not sure what I said in that quote that offended you, but would be happy to learn from it for the future.

Anthony_ likes this.
  16. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Okay, let me be more clear since statistically speaking you're bound to run into more people who have fought or are fighting cancer.

Doctors get to say things like "potentially dying." They don't, because they're doctors and they understand tact. Random posters using fake accounts on the internet probably shouldn't.

coleslawed, Raku, GrantCloud and 9 others like this.
  17. deflector

formerly pizzatime

I think it's fine to have complicated feelings about a situation like this, which is why I tried to be helpful to Audrey in response to their post. However, copy/pasting their original post with no other commentary does nothing except stir up shit and draw attention to yourself. It is a passive aggressive approach that "begs the question," and in begging the question, distracts from the cancer diagnosis and comes across as self-involved. If you are really attempting to hold a person accountable for their past, people must try to focus their comments on the acts themselves, not on yourself for bringing those actions up.

For people who have these feelings, I recommend a post like:

"Despite how I [personally lost respect for him for working with XXXTentacion] [disagree with how he handled the Tom situation] [find the early blink jokes problematic in 2021] [insert complaint], cancer is a terrible thing and I hope he has a full recovery."

In this case, actually naming the problem, rather than saying "his past actions" or some vague phrasing, is actually better, because it comes across as less trolling. Of course, if you WANT to troll, feel free to disregard. I also don't want to tone police, so if you want to come across as passive aggressive in order to prove a point, that's fair.

18. OA23456

That's fair. I'm sorry I offended you. I'll remember that when speaking on the subject with others in the future.

19. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

man this website sucks.

20. dnaps

This is horrible news. Much love and hoping for the best.

OA23456 likes this.
  21. dzyjay

Regular

I was a paying user on this site for awhile. People like Anthony ruined it for me.

22. You can block people you don’t want to see.

It’s really just that easy.

Making alts to complain or talk about why you don’t support the site anymore is kinda weird. Just block them.

23. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Anyway! Like I said before, really hope Mark makes a full recovery. Despite my severe disappointment and loss of respect for him in recent years, I used to be a big fan and obviously hope he gets through this.

24. MacbethSin

Regular

Everyone is so quick to drag reddit but even they managed to process this news as a community without turning it into this self-centered bullshit excuse for a thread.

My very strongest hopes to Mark to crush this. He's got this.

Raku, gnar182, OA23456 and 4 others like this.
  25. dzyjay

Regular

This is not an alt account lol but nice try.