Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus of Blink-182 Reveals Cancer Diagnosis • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Mark Hoppus is the reason I play bass.

To say I am shocked and sad is truly an understatement. I know I don’t “know” him, but people, things, art, film, sports, or what makes our community of Chorus spin; music, that effects a lot of us.

Early on like many people I only listened to one kind of music and it was heavy metal. Then I saw this video for a song called Thr Rock Show, and it all changed. Punk rock was like this other girl I was seeing, and metal couldn’t know.

The bass player seemed like a cool guy too. He played a p bass, he was funny, had a few extra lbs, and he didn’t get credit for being the best technical player even though he was.

Mark Hoppus made me want to play music. Without him I wouldn’t love it the way I do. I wish him a fast recovery because he still has people to enrich like myself

2. steve187

wow what a shitty thing to say

hoping the best for mark

3. Internet is a weird place. This thread went a direction I never imagined it would.

Let’s refocus and direct our energy on something positive. Top five favorite Mark-centric songs:

- Stay Together for the Kids
    - I Miss You
    - Ether (Simple Creatures)
    - What’s My Age Again
    - Sober

4. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

M+M’s forever

5. dzyjay

Regular

Let’s goo.
    - Waggy
    - Dammit
    - roller coaster
    - Apple shampoo
    - going away to college
    Extra (non blink)
    - baby come on

blink180ryan and Frinet42 like this.
  6. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

WMAA
    Roller Coaster
    Wendy Clear
    Don’t Leave Me
    On Some Emo Shit

blink180ryan likes this.
  7. dzyjay

Regular

The fact I left Wendy clear and what’s my age again off my list shows you can’t do a Mark top 5, it’s impossible.

8. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I had to cut Little Death and Strange Love. The guy is too talented.

koryoreo likes this.
  9. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Wendy Clear is tops for me. That’s what got me hooked on Blink.

Jetslickz and falafelmywaffle like this.
  10. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Josie
    Apple Shampoo
    Going Away To College
    Adams Song
    Baby Come On

I could go on for days. I always preferred Marks vocals and he seems like a genuinely great guy. This news sucks, but I’m hoping they caught it early and he beats this as quickly as possible.

Jetslickz and Frinet42 like this.
  11. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

I don’t regularly listen to blink but found myself rocking out to them the other day and did a quick search to see how old the guys were now—49 is so young and this is hitting me so hard as someone who (like many others) identifies blink-182 as a core part of their adolescence. Really wishing him the best.

Jetslickz likes this.
  12. razorburn

Trusted

Godspeed, Mark. You got this.

13. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Fuck, this sucks so much.

All the best Mark, you got this!

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  14. prattsy

Regular

I would argue that the top 2 aren't Mark-centric. In fact, doesn't Tom dominate "I Miss You" after the first verse?

But I will play too!

- Going Away to College
    - Every Time I Look For You
    - Cliff Diving
    - Don't Leave Me
    - Dammit

15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Loving the respect for his +44 material! The basslines on that record are seriously top tier.

Anyways, I was heartbroken to read this. Even though I’m not a fan of the newer Blink material with Matt - like most of you - I grew up watching Blink. Mark has always come across as such a kind soul and if anyone deserves to recover in peace - it’s him.

Sending positive thoughts his way ❤️❤️

Jetslickz, JamesMichael and prattsy like this.
  16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Cancer sucks. Everyone knows someone impacted by cancer. It doesn’t care about your age, race, your belief system, where you live, your social class, anything. In a world of such divisiveness you’d think the world could come together against this.

17. theredline

Trusted Supporter

-Man Overboard is my favorite Blink song and I’ve always said it might be the best song they’ve written. It’s perfect in so many ways!
    -Rock Show
    -I Miss You

falafelmywaffle and .K. like this.
  18. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

This has hit me hard. Mark is the first person I remember idolizing as a kid. He has always been like a superhero to me.

As I am reading the outpouring of love and support, it's been incredible to see how many people Mark has inspired!

We are all behind you Mark! You got this! Sending you positive vibes!

Jetslickz likes this.
  19. soggytime

Trusted

This was a gut punch to read. I never would have guessed this was the reason their shows were getting cancelled and the album was getting delayed.

fuck cancer. Wishing Mark nothing but good vibes and a speedy recovery

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  20. dp619

Regular Supporter

My mind went to blink immediately, but wow did I forget about Simple Creatures. Those songs have been awesome.

Here's Your Letter is probably my favorite Mark-centric song. My favorite thing about Mark though are all his guest vocals. Wrecking Hotel Rooms w/ MXPX, December w/ Neck Deep, I'd Do Anything w/ Simple Plan. And let's not forget he was the producer behind Commit This to Memory - an all time album.

The dude is a first ballot hall of famer in the Chorus.fm / Absolutepunk Hall of Fame and I'm looking forward to him beating this thing and getting back at it.

21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Despite how I may feel about his actions, I hope he makes a full recovery.

22. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Always have to be the center of attention, huh? Now we’re taking the words of someone who said they have autism and twisting them for your narrative, in a thread about someone having cancer.

Raku, Furry Werthers, OA23456 and 2 others like this.
  23. Anthony_ Jun 24, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2021)
    Anthony_

Well not that this is the place for this discussion but he featured on a song by noted homophobe and abuser of women XXXTentacion, helping to perpetuate the whitewashing of his public image after his death, for one thing

GrantCloud and theagentcoma like this.
  24. Anthony_

I completely agree with Audrey's sentiment, so I'm making the same post in solidarity because it's frankly disgusting (but not surprising, for this site) how they're being treated in here.

I would've quoted their post but I don't know that they want to be dragged back in here after what they've dealt with already.

25. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Wishing him the best and a hopeful speedy recovery. We love you Mark:heart:

OA23456 likes this.