Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus of Blink-182 Reveals Cancer Diagnosis • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Probably better to just stop and let it go at this point.

2. devenstonow

Noobie

it's a weird feeling not knowing what to say or how to react to this because I've looked up to him so much for literally most of my life that I feel like there's literally no chance in hell that he doesn't beat this

3. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

I would, but if I'm not understanding something offensive about my wording it's important for me to learn how to word it better for the future. I'm learning just like everyone else, only with a curve. It's very upsetting anyone would think I want someone to suffer from cancer of all things and that I came in here to be an asshole about it.

4. deflector

formerly pizzatime

If you truly want to do better, then you should be aware that by saying "despite his actions" in your first post, you imply that he has done something wrong in the past worthy of commentary. The ambiguity with which you say it makes people think you are holding on to a deep criticism of him as a person, something beyond personal dislike. Though you don't literally say this, the implication, particularly when talking about a musician/famous figure in the year 2021, is that he is a criminal/abuser of some kind.

In a thread about a person's cancer diagnosis, this is callous and goes against social norms. Continuing to defend yourself also takes attention away from the diagnosis, which many will say is self-centered. Truly hope this helps.

5. Audrey Horne Jun 23, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 23, 2021)
    Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

I didn't realize making such a personal comment and expressing the gravity of the emotions that came with that while trying to keep it short and respectful that the assumption would be that he did something abusive or criminal. It was hard for me to understand why it was that part people were honing in on when I didn't say anything malicious. I made the assumption that more people would understand the context and that was my mistake.

But for the record, after someone who is having difficulty understanding a concept explains to you that they have something like autism and still calling them names is an incredibly shitty thing to do. Especially when they aren't arguing with you or returning the hostility in return and are expressing grief, confusion and sadness. I get emotions are very very high with this news, obviously, but I was responding in good faith because of the nature of the thread. That said I hope I didn't trigger anyone by not understanding, even with the name calling. If you need to speak to me further please feel free to DM me.

6. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Awful to hear, I can only hope they caught it in an early stage and he makes a full recovery.

dumpweed41 likes this.
  7. dzyjay Jun 23, 2021
    dzyjay

Regular

Seriously maybe the most uncool comment I’ve read on this website and I’ve been around for a long time. Just say “I hope he makes a full recovery” why add that fucking jab in.

8. dzyjay

Regular

Love you mark we are all thinking about you!

RaginCajun likes this.
  9. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

Sorry that your comments didn’t find you joy. Maybe indulge in a different thread.

10. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

A while back mark mentioned having a “health scare”… I guess it changed into the real thing. Wishing him well, he has seemed like a decent dude over the many years in the spotlight. Hopefully he pulls through! I can’t imagine a world without Mark Tom and Travis. They’ve been in my life since I was 12

summertimejesus likes this.
  11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm not the biggest Blink fan, and I, along with numerous others, have made our issues with their actions known on here (it's mainly with Matt and Travis anyways). Having said that, I really don't think now is the time to bring your negative thoughts on Mark in here during this time. *shrug*

AP_Punk likes this.
  12. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

What the fuck is wrong with people that they're name-calling someone with autism for respectfully sharing their opinion?

I agree it wasn't the time or place, but they were respectful about it and are trying to learn. I'm just as upset by this news, but let's be respectful of each other here.

Not gonna speak to this any further, but I'm really appalled by the lack of understanding.

13. dubey

Regular

Really wasn't expecting to see news like this get derailed by some attention-seeking weirdo but here we are - hope this gets cleaned up.

Sad news especially with the influence Mark and blink have had on this site, the members of this site, and beyond.

j0nnymarrzbar likes this.
  14. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I can understand that and I am sorry people are piling on. I think in the future it would be best not to say things that turn the focus to you, especially if it has nothing to do with the topic at hand (Mark’s cancer). Hope that helps.

15. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

So consider it a learning experience.

16. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Zero excuse for petty insults and name-calling. There are respectful ways of teaching others.

As I mentioned in my original post, I don't want to speak to this any more past that. I don't wish to derail this tragic news any further.

17. dzyjay

Regular

I think it’s pretty apparent that no one was aware of autism being involved. Obviously impossible to tell over the internet.

I hope you can understand why the comment frustrated us. And I apologize for my involvement.

Much love everyone. And most importantly I hope mark gets better!

18. Allthegiganticthings

Regular

Damn. Sorry Mark. Pulling for you bro

19. Hang in there, Mark! Your music means the world to a lot of people.

hongfong00 likes this.
  20. gbuffers Jun 23, 2021
    gbuffers

England.

I wish him all the best and desperately hope for a speedy recovery. It’s a terrible thing to face as a family but we can only hope that we don’t have to endure what he, and countless others, are going through, personally. To this day I’ll never forget hearing that dreaded ‘c’ word and the fear it has inevitably brought him but I hope he and his loved ones can stay strong and pull each other through this torrid time. All the best to him, as someone who has given me music to enjoy and as a husband, father and human being.

21. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

Except having autism means I literally did not "know" I was going to upset anyone and you're stating it as if I did. That was the purpose of sharing that I have it. To put a better understanding out there that my brain literally does not process some things the same as everyone else. When I made the comment, my brain was literally one note and that was, "this hurts, how am I processing this?" It wasn't about making it "about me" or the snide insertion you made (I'm such a wonderful human being). I don't wish to derail this thread any further but since I have said multiple times now I've still been called a weirdo, been told I deserve to be called names for having a learning difficulty and now this vicious take as if I did it on purpose.

I am having an extremely difficult time right now with the reaction to this when I have apologized and explained things repeatedly. Please try and extend the same compassion you're reaming me for insisting I don't have having made a mistake due to a learning disability.

That's the last I will post in this thread, but please be mindful of how you speak to people when they have a legitimate reason for a genuine misunderstanding, especially when it comes to concept they literally do not grasp and are asking in good faith to be understood. Once again, I hope Mark makes a complete recovery.

22. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

This news really sucks. I genuinely hope treatment goes well for Mark.

Not to beat a dead horse here but after reading this entire thread I'm genuinely curious what "actions" Mark has done that can be seen as suspect? Can anybody point me to a situation or circumstance that has happened that involves him? The only thing I can think of is somebody not liking the potty humor during live shows...

23. gbuffers

England.

I have edited my post to remove what I said. Whilst I stand by it, I am sorry that you essentially feel ganged up on and for adding to that. There is no way to reconcile our differing views. The focus of this thread has completely shifted away from where it should be and I am guilty of perpetuating that.

24. Punkrocker

Wiping brings down the rainforest

Terrible news. So many emotions are flowing through my brain after reading this. I've Idolized Mark since I was a kid and have loved blink ever since they first made it big on the scene. Somehow it always seems shocking that something like this can happen to anyone. No one is invincible. It's a lesson that has to be on repeat. We can't take anything for granted...

I hope for nothing but the best and wish him a speedy recovery. No one should have to go through something like this.

25. DarkHotline Jun 23, 2021
    DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I can understand not being able to understand how that can upset people and I will not use that against you. However, this is an upsetting situation to a lot of people who grew up with Mark, myself included, and comments like that can invoke bad responses and upset emotions with people. It doesn’t make you a bad person however, we make mistakes and you made one, I’m not gonna hold it against you. Let’s all just not be shitty to each other, especially in a time like this.