Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus in Latest GQ Magazine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mark Hoppus from Blink-182 is in the latest issue of GQ magazine and there’s quite a lot of information revealed, here’s a few bits as compiled from Blink-182 Italia:

Hoppus still isn’t quite sure what tomorrow holds, exactly. But who is? He hasn’t really thought about what blink-182 might look like now that he’s cancer-free, but he’s open to any permutation of the band, really, including line-ups with Tom back in the fold. “We haven’t really talked about that, but I’m open to anything in the future,” said Hoppus. “I don’t know how that would work if it’s all four of us. Like we’re all going to live in the same house again?”

And:

For Hoppus, the past year not only deepened his appreciation for his family and friends, but it taught him how to handle unexpected horror with humility, grace, humor, and—this is the new one—an open heart that’s still learning how to feel deserving. “I’m totally overwhelmed with the support and love,” he said, pausing. “I don’t know. People online I have never met sending support. Cancer survivors of the same lymphoma that I had even put together a video where they covered a Blink song, and it made me cry.” That song, of course, was “All the Small Things.”

Before I left, Hoppus wanted me to take a close look at the top of his head. He was excited: His hair was showing tiny signs of growth. Of returning to normalcy. “My armpit hair is still totally gone,” he said, “but if you look close, all this white hair is just the shitty cancer hair, and then you can see the actual dark hair growing back in a little bit.”

You got a free bleach job, I joked.

”I know,” he replied, beaming. “I wish I’d had this in the mid-90s.”

There’s also more on the Reddit community.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

It gets said every single thread, but he seems like such a genuinely good person. Obviously he has a lot of things to be thankful for in his life, but you see how much his wife and son love him too, even on something as dumb as social media.

That’s part of the reason I think it hurt so much to see something like this come for him. I hope he has a long and healthy recovery to continue to be a husband and a dad. And if we get a tour or music out of it, that’s just gravy.

3. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I would love to see them reunite for a show/tour. It seems like it would genuinely be fun for all of them and that's all that matters. And if Skiba could work his way into that - all the better.

This line in the article made me laugh: "Mark was the glue guy, holding the center; Tom was the experimental one with big ambitions; and Travis was the only one who knew how to play his instrument."

Long live Blink.

4. Punkrocker

Wiping brings down the rainforest

Haha, I was going to comment the same.

I also think it would be cool if all 4 of them went on a tour together as well. I always will have a place in my heart for more Blink with Tom. Weren't they working on a new album prior to Mark's diagnosis? Is this on hold now?

5. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Around September, Skiba said the album was pretty much done. But the other week on twitch, Mark said he plans to get in the studio soon to start on the next batch of blink songs.

So I don’t think we really know yet! This was originally only going to be an EP that turned into an album later on. Lots of changes for this one, so I think it’ll be an interesting album when it is finished.

6. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

I’m glad Mark survived it all, cancer is hell.

Separately, I’ve always thought blink would have never ever reached the heights they have without Travis. It just would not have happened. It’s kind of fun to think of the parallel universe where Travis didn’t take over.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  7. Allthegiganticthings

Regular

Agreed! I was a teen just getting into music…I remember when Travis joined the band and being intrigued that this guy from a band called aquabats was replacing Scott. Didn’t think much of it, but definitely recall thinking Travis was a good fit. Then he always seemed like the perfect balance because he dominates on drums but also seemed content to let mark and Tom take over from a personality standpoint.

8. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I do like the idea of hearing Tom back in Blink. And how it work with Skiba. blink as a four piece could be interesting. More guitar parts, more harmonies, etc. But I do worry about so many people with unfair expectations because so many people just want Enema/Jacket Pt 2s.
    Personally I’m a big fan of Neighborhoods so if we got the perfect mix of later Blink and the best parts of AVA it could be really cool. If the tunes had some Up All Night, After Midnight, Wishing Well, Even If She Falls vibes. And if Skiba is there and adds his vibes…could be really good!

Allthegiganticthings likes this.