Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus Explains ‘NINE’ Title

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mark Hoppus confirmed on Reddit the meaning behind Blink-182’s new album title:

NINE. this is our ninth album, as decided by me and travis. some count buddha, some not. some count the mark tom and travis show. some count greatest hits. some count dogs eating dogs. i’m counting buddha, cheshire cat, dude ranch, enema of the state, toypaj, untitled, neighborhoods, califronia, and now NINE. nine is also the number of universal love. and the number of uranus. remember to like and smash that subscribe button, or whatever it is the kids say now.

BG9352 likes this.
  2. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Feel so much better now with the explanation.

Orla and joey-wan kenobi like this.
  3. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Makes sense to me. Dogs Eating Dogs was an EP not a full album. Live albums shouldn't count.

4. Eml182

Regular

Saves The Day also named their 9th album 9. Not Nine, but 9.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

smashin that subscribe button right now

Chase Tremaine and slimfenix182 like this.
  6. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I thought Buddha was a demo (and pretty much unlistenable at least to me) so surprised it counts. It's their band so whatever works. Curious to see how this does and also if they can mount another tour to support it or not.

7. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Screenshot 2019-07-26 at 18.16.34.png

...I'm upset.

8. BradBradley

Regular

Fun fact that Mark forgot to mention - in Germany, this album’s title roughly translates to “No.”

9. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

BUT KILL BILL Vol 1 and 2 ARE TWO SEPARATE MOVIES!!!!

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  10. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

Nein, tut es nicht

Matt Terry likes this.
  11. aniafc

Trusted

Depends. “Blame It On My Youth” and “Darkside” are probably the best songs from this album. If only because “Happy Days” and “Generational Divide” seem to be them trying too hard to right a typical blink song.

This band just doesn’t work with its current lineup IMO

thechetearly likes this.
  12. 333 GANG

ACAB

There’s been 4 of 15 songs released, and you’re saying 2 of those 4 are the best songs from this record? I don’t understand your logic here.

13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s sad people need it explained.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  14. 333 GANG

ACAB

I mean, they used to openly not count Buddha as an album. It’s why when Untitled was released the smiley logo had five arrows, and why they added a sixth when Neighborhoods came out. I completely understand the confusion.

Orla and Daniel182 like this.
  15. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Literally whenever I’ve read about Buddha, it’s been referred to as an EP.

16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Two EP’s equal and album?

It’s called Nine. The band also had an album called Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. I feel like less people needed that explained than Nine.

Maybe the missing album is +44. If it’s Mark counting, I’d sure want to count it even if I didn’t want to say it (Travis was in on that count too)

17. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I mean it's 14 tracks which is nowhere near EP classification so whoever has written that is wrong

palebluedot, Chase Tremaine and Orla like this.
  18. Daniel182 Jul 26, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2019)
    Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Mark explained that he decided to count Buddha as their first album, which makes this their 9th album.

This was confusing because throughout the entire history of the band, Cheshire Cat was considered their debut album, and Buddha was a demo cassette. They also said Neighborhoods was their 6th album.

That’s really about it.

333 GANG likes this.
  19. bluecharliedeltaecho

Regular

When I first heard the title I thought they were counting Dogs Eating Dogs, but it makes sense that it's Buddha since although it is typically considered a demo I can definitely see how the band could see it as their real first album, as it was their first important release.

20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

How many people were actually listening to Blink before dude ranch? I am not trying to be condescending or anything, just curious.

21. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I’m not sure, and I’m not personally one of them. I am just referring to the way the band has historically described their discography.

22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Historically speaking, I guess this is now how Mark’s counting (with Travis).

I thought it was funny how Rolling Stone said Blink 182 was releasing their eighth album Nine so quickly. I do think it’s a weird choice from the perspective he’s the only member of Blink who’s been on all 9 Blink.

I think Skiba has done 9 Alkaline Trio albums.

Daniel182 likes this.
  23. aniafc

Trusted

Key word: probably