Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

March Madness NCAA Basketball (2017-2018) Basketball • Page 58

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 11, 2018.

1. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Guess what? If Spellman comes back for his Soph. season (he should IMO), they have a shot to be there next year, too with Quinerly and Swider coming in added to what they already have

waking season likes this.
  2. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I think Spellman will come back. He clearly has an NBA future but he can still improve on the defensive side of the ball.

3. Last ten years, sure. All time? No way.

4. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

well, now that march madness is done do we get an actual investigation and stuff? Probably not.

5. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

He's got 2 titles and a player of the year

Look at the list of college players that have that and get back to me. I will wait.

6. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

imagine trying this hard to be relevant

7. If you think titles is all that matters on a college basketball resume you’re just wrong. There’s at least 5 people that have won player of the year twice. If you think Brunson is a better college player than Tim Duncan or Ralph Samson, you’re just wrong.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  8. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

better college player =/= better college resume necessarily. Sampson won player of the year 3 times by the way, so I would certainly say he is above Jalen.

and titles absolutely DO matter, a lot. Especially when you are the driving force behind 2 different titles.

remember, Brunson is still only a Junior, too. He won't be back next year, but still.

MAYBE saying top 10 was exaggerating a bit, but I would say top 20 for sure.

9. I’m just here to spread the word of College Basketball God, Bill Walton

aoftbsten likes this.
  10. Also I’d give Brunson top 20 now.

11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

if brunson is that high, how high is kemba?

12. Re: Brunson

Just mens, *maybe* top 30.

Y’all ignoring way too many players you never heard of with records that have lasted decades. Players with no titles with resumes that are way more impressive for a college career.

13. Kemba and Brunson almost had identical seasons statistically in their first two years.

Obviously Kemba had that fucking ridiculous junior year when UCONN won the title. Though I think he missed Player of the Year because of NBA great and Chinese Legend, Jimmer Fredette

14. Larry Bird. No titles. Insane college stats. Danny Manning’s resume is ridiculous. Glen Robinson. Pete Maravich. So many players with resumes and scoring records that still can’t be touched. Receny/fan bias getting in the way.

RuckerPark and zmtr like this.
  15. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I seem to never remember who wins this award. I looked at the last 10 winners:

Frank Mason III, Buddy Hield, Frank Kaminsky, Doug McDermott, Trey Burke, Anthony Davis, Jimmer Fredette, Evan Turner, Blake Griffin, Tyler Hansbrough.

It’s funny how little this award, in the modern era, translates to future success, unless you are the rare freshman to win it.

Winning the Naismith pretty much means you can look forward to life as a career backup. That’s an interesting dynamic.

RuckerPark and Jason Tate like this.
  16. cwhit

i'd say kemba was a bigger part of his first tournament, brunson was like a fine rotation guy but kemba had one huge game in the elite 8. the obviously kemba's final year carried that team while nova would have been good without brunson.

he's maybe top ten this decade but he's nowhere close all time, potentially not even top ten in the last 20 years

17. cwhit

i mean the best college players are very often upperclassmen, and if you're still in college as a senior that means something regarding your scouting reports

18. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

its close. Very similar careers.

19. Has Brunson said he's declaring? Just glancing at this draft class, I can't see him going in the top 25 or maybe even the first round. Someone could obviously reach for him, which typically happens.

He might even be able to raise his stock staying another year. We haven't seen next years talent play yet but I know it's mainly a race for RJ.

20. Looking now top 50 is very hard to crack. You have all time scorers in the league and conferences on that list.

21. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

hes 100% gone. He is graduating next month, as is Bridges. He will be an end of the 1st round pick IMO

Nothing left to prove in college.

get out of here. He is 1000000% in the top 50. Easily.

22. There are ten players with better resumes just in the ACC.

23. You really putting him over someone like David Thompson or James Worthy? Jason Williams has a better college resume.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  24. If we're talking relatively recent you can argue JJ, and Hansbrough are two of the best college players ever.

25. cwhit

i mean, if you're weighing the fact that he was on two championship teams a lot more than being an integral part of a deep tournament team for several years, sure.

this was the only year where he was really THE GUY on his team, and he still wasn't even like, by far the best. he didn't carry the team. there are players that stayed all four years and were very important on their team for three of those