Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

March Madness NCAA Basketball (2015-2016) [ARCHIVED] Basketball • Page 61

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Schmidt Apr 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I tend to side with @Brenden on this topic, but this really is getting into a whole other debate. The kids and parents know full well what they are signing up for when they go with a "sports factory". The degree, if they get one will be generic and watered down in "most" cases. There are certainly legit student athletes at every school, but it's not the norm for the big time factories. I don't think there is any question that way UNC was running its athletic department for the major sports was unfortunate at best. It would have been one thing for them to self-report these issues, but to sit on it and allow it to manifest itself the way it did was unacceptable imo.

Edit: This gets into how we view pro and amateur status. Saying everything above, I have no problem with student athletes making money outside of the school for signings, commercials, etc. If the school wants to increase their food stipend on top of the overall package, that's on them, but I do believe in a separation of professional and amateur status. I also think kids should be able to go pro directly out of high school.

2. DontTellMom Apr 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2016)
    The allegations against Louisville took place between 2010-2014, and directly impacted the recruitment of current Louisville players. The allegations against UNC came out in 2010, and happened before that, when most of their current players were in middle school. None of the current UNC athletes have taken any sham classes.

I went to a major university that wasn't UNC, and this happened at my school as well. And since we're throwing anecdotal evidence around so freely, I'd like to add that I have several other friends that went to different schools and claim it happened there too.

No formal allegations have ever been charged against the UNC basketball program. The NCAA Notice of Allegations did not mention the men's basketball program.

Yes, yes that is clearly it. Its definitely not likely that many of them grew up Heels fans and dream of playing for their favorite team, or that some of them wanted to wear the same uniform as Michael Jordan, James Worthy, and many others. Its not that they wanted to play for a hall of fame coach, in a historic building, on a stunningly-beautiful campus. No no, its much easier to just sit behind a keyboard and assume that since they play for a team you don't like that they're total human scum dead-set on celebrating the depravity of the world.

They were "probably" advised not much will happen simply based on the fact that the basketball program wasn't mentioned in the NOA.

3. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

uconn didnt do this for us but maybe thats because they cant give us classes off that often B-)

Snewt likes this.
  4. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Burn!

5. Blaupunked

Any prize for first place? ;-)

Screenshot_2016-04-05-09-57-39.png

6. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Probably nothing but a :clap:...what is "AbsolutePunk.net"...?

patrickhowell and Jason Tate like this.
  7. But the east coast is more important.

8. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I mean it was two east coast teams.

9. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Which means nothing in terms of getting as many television viewers as possible

10. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

It was joking but ok.

11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

12. LOL that was their response after Geraldo Rivera tweeted that Villanova beat the Panthers last night.

13. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Heh, that's how I felt last year. Packers + Wisc football and basketball

15. lolol Charles Barkley

Ryan Garner likes this.
  16. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

his daughter graduated from Nova

17. it's an amazing celebration I want to use that gif for anything good that ever happens now

Ryan Garner likes this.
  18. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

19. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

What is he saying though?

20. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Almost 24 hours later and I still can't believe last night happened.

22. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I will say good for Jay Wright. He seems like a good guy.

23. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Lol Daniel Hamilton from UConn hired an agent. One of the worst decisions I've seen in awhile. He shot 38% from the floor. So not ready.

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  24. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Mr. Serotonin and Ryan Garner like this.
  25. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Yeah, that's impressive as hell

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.