Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Many Websites Go Down After DDoS Attack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Quite a few websites and services (Twitter, SoundCloud, Spotify, etc.) are down today after a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack on the DNS provider Dyn occurred this morning. Gizmodo has the full list of sites and more information:

Domain Name Servers (DNS) act as the internet’s phone book. Basically, they facilitate your request to go to a certain webpage and make sure you are taken to the right place. If the DNS provider that handles requests for Twitter is down, well, good luck getting to Twitter. Some websites are coming back for some users, but it doesn’t look like the problem is fully resolved.

2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

This is actually pretty unnerving. Also, why the NHL? What did hockey ever do to anyone except be awesome?

Davjs and amorningofsleep like this.
  3. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

This was the one that pissed me off the most. This is officially a terrorist attack.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  4. Turkeylegz

Trusted

PayPal is down. bummer. no frivolous spending today.

coleslawed and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  5. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Walked to work without listening to music today. I survived, but man.

6. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

hm, was wondering what was up with Twitter

7. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

everything seems to be ok for me? Also, what is a DDOS attack? Cyber-terrorism?

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Distributed Denial of Service attack. Basically the attacker floods the host with a lot of requests in order to overload the server/website.

PandaBear! likes this.
  9. Strikegently

close cover, strike gently

The attack was against a Dyn, a DNS provider, not these websites directly.

Distributed Denial Of Service attack. It's just flooding the target with more requests than it can handle.

PandaBear! likes this.
  10. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

Having issues logging into Amazon video services and getting the DDoS indicator

11. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Pretty glad I stopped using Spotify because lord knows I couldn't make it through the morning without streaming

12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

does this mean anything for users of those websites other than an inconvenience?

13. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

The short answer is probably not - by themselves, DDoS attacks don't typically compromise user data.

It's concerning that a DDoS attack on a single DNS provider is having such a widespread effect though, and symptomatic of a larger problem - that security is typically an afterthought for a lot of tech companies.

14. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Made me so happy I still have my iTunes stocked. Would have been a dark day.