Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mansions - Big Bad (June 26th, 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, May 29, 2020.

1. zachmacD

Trusted

Interesting. Those are my least favorite mansions songs lol

2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I looooooove Get Loose too.

loudasallgetout likes this.
  3. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I'm pretty torn on this album. There's some songs I love and others I find kinda boring. I would have loved a couple upbeat songs mixed in here to spice things up.

The_Pioneer and Jusscali like this.
  4. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Yeah this might be my favourite.

5. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Leader of the Pack, Get Loose, and Do It Again are my highlights. I really like every song but those three especially do it for me in a big way.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  6. Mustache_Band

I'm super happy with it. I think it's gonna be a big time grower as well.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'm kinda surprised, but I enjoy this album. It's much less obnoxious fuzz and much more kinda stripped back almost acoustic feeling.

8. As much as I really love Doom Loop, I wish he would have also done an acoustic Doom Loop. Acoustic DUTD is how I really fell in love with Chris’ songwriting.

zachmacD likes this.
  9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I never got into Doom Loop at all, just not my thing at all. New Best Friends is the benchmark that will never be beat for me, I liked DUTD but it felt like a step back to me. Anyway, enjoyed this one, the chill vibes worked for his music

10. I never understood the adverse reaction to DL. I thought it was nearly perfect. Each record is so different though, I can appreciate folks’ unique takes and personal favs.

One of these days I’ll get around to writing about his pre-Mansions work. The evolution of his songwriting is a joy to behold.

zachmacD and irthesteve like this.
  11. Doom Loop is fine, the good tracks are really good, but it feels spottier to me than than the others. Just never really clicked with me.

nohandstoholdonto and zachmacD like this.
  12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Doom Loop is ok. Has some of his best and some of his worst.

nohandstoholdonto and zachmacD like this.
  13. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Yeah that's pretty accurate. I feel like half the album is amazing and the other half is very meh.

Edit: ^^ what that person just said.

nohandstoholdonto and Aaron Mook like this.
  14. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This was just okay. I prefer doom loop. Check out manbox as well if anyone in here hasn’t. It’s Chris and Brian from Weatherbox.

15. zachmacD

Trusted

Dig up the dead had these really cool atmospheric parts and I felt like the whole album dripped with emotion. The guitar in “you got cool”, the explosion in sound at then end of “seven years”.
    I couldn’t listen to that album without listening to the whole thing. I’m not a musician but it seemed like Chris did a lot with not that many resources.

doom loop was a “rockier” (for a lack of a better word) record and I didn’t think the music matched his voice at all. I could listen to Chris sing over beats or an acoustic guitar all day long. For whatever reason, Doom Loop didn’t really feel like a mansions record to me except for a few songs.

16. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

agreeing with the general consensus here re: doom loop, a few songs I really love, a few I forget exist. 100 Degrees is sometimes my fav Mansions song tho.

zachmacD and loudasallgetout like this.
  17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Climbers is great, the the run from La Dentista to The Economist are brilliant. 100 Degrees is good. Everything else is worse than most that came before in my opinion.

zachmacD and nohandstoholdonto like this.
  18. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I’m p fond of flowers in my teeth and two suits as well

Leftandleaving likes this.
  19. I agree with you, then remember Flowers and Two Suits and Falling Down exist.

20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I don't really like Flowers. It feels like a worse version of Blackest Sky (probably my least favourite on DUTD) to me.

21. Really loving this the more I sit with it. So many gorgeous moments.

22. Iago

forbidden chalice.

I go back and forth on this a lot but I think Doom Loop is my favorite record from them (the other being DUTD). I think my favorite overall sound is what they did in Deserter though, especially during the first 3 tracks.

23. Emotherapy

Regular

Is that pre-Mansions stuff available anywhere? Been going through the discography and would love to hear earlier stuff.

24. It's not. And it's been hard to track down. I'm going to check with Chris before I post and share.

I have both Once More (Than Never) records, the Good Driver record, and some more assorted rarities.

25. This album is so good. "Strugglers" is a perfect closer

Jacob Tender and loudasallgetout like this.