Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mansions - Big Bad (June 26th, 2020) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, May 29, 2020.

1. Yeah, I'm loving this. I think it works on two levels, both as the strong introspective songwriting we're used to and as a stylistic shift towards beautiful ambient electronic music. Enjoy it much more than Doom Loop after a couple of listens.

zachmacD and nohandstoholdonto like this.
  2. zachmacD

Trusted

dude this is awesome!

3. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Actually really enjoying this. Love Leader of the Pack.

zachmacD and falafelmywaffle like this.
  4. zachmacD Jun 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 27, 2020)
    zachmacD

Trusted

Enjoyed the record when I listened to it on the computer, but its a much different and better listen on noise cancelling headphones. A lot more layers than I originally thought. Going to be on repeat for a while, I think.

my order as of now is

DUTD > Big Bad > Deserter >best of the b-sides > new best friends / Doom Loop

5. Iago

forbidden chalice.

god i love this album so much

6. Best of the B's!

zachmacD likes this.
  7. zachmacD

Trusted

I didn’t include that since it’s technically a comp. if we want to include everything, we’d have to include the self titled, when I sleep ep, as well as that bonus disk that came with NBF haha. I’ll edit and throw it in

8. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Get Loose reminds me of a NLAQ era All Get Out song and I'm super here for it

astereo and zachmacD like this.
  9. I only bring it up because it's my favorite/super underrated, haha

zachmacD likes this.
  10. zachmacD

Trusted

agreed. Let’s be sad together, unwell, never enuff, tangerine (alternate version) are some of his best songs. I’m pretty sure Doghouse had them put that out just to fulfill their contract. IMO they really shit the bed with Mansions. They have a diehard fan base with 0 promotion and deserve so much more recognition

edit: sorry about the rant. The fact that this band never got big is infuriating

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. halowithascrewloose

Newbie Supporter

Thank you. They are just a concept based off old space comic book scenes.

mad likes this.
  12. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

I've always felt his voice conveys so much emotion.

13. Iago

forbidden chalice.

the low harmony in Leader of the Pack speaks to me so much

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  14. Nick Jun 28, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 28, 2020)
    Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Leader of the Pack is top tier Mansions.

This feels like more of a direct follow up to DUTD than Doom Loop.

15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i don’t really love anything else this band has done but i’ll check it out since thomas put it out i guess

zachmacD likes this.
  16. zachmacD

Trusted

What’re everyone’s thoughts on Black and White? Definitely my least favorite on the album and sounds the most like Doom Loop IMO.

17. zachmacD

Trusted

Have you listened to Dig Up the Dead yet?

18. zachmacD

Trusted

Definitely agree on this sounding more like a follow up to DUTD. One of the things I loved about NBF was Chris’ use of electronics. DUTD is my favorite of his but I’m glad he brought the electronics back after they were missing from DUTD and Doom Loop.

Iago likes this.
  19. phaynes12

yes many times. i listened to it when it came out lol. it’s fine.

20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I would have thought DUTD was right up your alley.

21. Iago

forbidden chalice.

i have to admit that i initially was kinda disappointed that the whole record was on the lowkey but now it's all i've been able to listen to lately. it definitely makes sense as a "DUTD follow up" instead of the DL/Deserter follow up i initially wanted. i love it all the same though; so many great things about the record.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  22. Interesting you say that, because I feel like it’s a really natural follow up to DL/Deserter. It still has some crunch, with more mood.

Iago likes this.
  23. Iago

forbidden chalice.

i can definitely see that, now that you mentioned it! i guess i was hoping for the "chaos" of stuff like Flowers In My Teeth, Falling Down's second verse, the dial tone in High Numbers, the entire progression of I Feel Worse, etc.. in my mind i was envisioning a step like Foxing's Nearer My God or something. but im over it now and super into what we have! i love the direction a lot.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  24. phaynes12

there are moments on the album i like a lot but no particular song that i love. and dudes voice doesn’t do much for me. a little sleepy.

zachmacD and Nick like this.
  25. zachmacD

Trusted

I get what you’re saying about his voice. I personally love it, but my buddy and I went to see la dispute with mansions opening. As soon as they started, my buddy turned to me and said he hated his voice lol.