Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mank (David Fincher, 2020) • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TJ Wells, Jul 10, 2019.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah that's my pick for supporting actress and would be surprised if someone tops it.

2. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

It's so fucking funny that Oldman and Seyfried are meant to be the same age in this. I know Mank was an alcoholic and looked rough for his age but god damn

3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Yeah Oldman is a good actor but age-wise, a strange choice. Wouldn’t have hurt to go with a Jewish actor who hasn’t abused anyone imo

4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I mean tbh, side-by-side I'd say the real Mank looked older than Oldman.

5. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Already watched this twice, love it so much. Seyfried is a fucking LOCK for best supporting actress.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

She's actually supposed to be just under a year OLDER than him lol.

I Am Mick likes this.
  7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

But like, if you're surprised that Fincher doesn't really give a shit about "historical accuracy" after The Social Network, I don't know what to tell you.

phaynes12 likes this.
  8. Nathan

I’m not surprised by Fincher’s choices, but definitely think there were better choices for this role and any other role he ever gets than Gary Oldman.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

and who didn't say Mel Gibson had some good ideas

Nathan likes this.
  10. Nathan

I hadn’t even heard about that. Gross.

As good as I think the movie is, casting Gary Oldman (particularly as a real life Jewish man in Hollywood with particular thoughts on antisemitism) should come with these discussions.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Stuhlbarg is the first one to come to mind but he's still like 8 years older than Mank would have been

imthesheriff likes this.
  12. radiodead

Trusted

Movie is fantastic. Love it. Love the Oldman casting choice. All the nitpicks I’ve heard so far are noise. Movie is a masterpiece. I love the echoes to the Citizen Kane structure. I love the ensemble. I love the politics. The script is incredible. Boy oh boy. So fun.

13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

Oldman is a fucking piece of shit and the age thing was weird but he was also great in this and it's a much better performance than the one he gave in Darkest Hour, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get nominated.

jordalsh likes this.
  14. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I would. He won't win, but a nomination seems like a foregone conclusion. What else is there? Lindo, Boseman, Hopkins...?

15. Nathan

Hubie Halloween

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Tucci? not sure what's gonna be considered supporting or main for Rainey, Chicago 7 and Miami

17. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Chicago 7 is all supporting
    Rainey is lead

18. phaynes12

kingsley ben adir in one night in miami
    steven yeun in minari
    could honestly see riz ahmed for sound of metal but that’s a long shot, yes

19. phaynes12

also what’s the buzz out of judah and the black messiah for lakeith?

20. soggytime

Trusted

I loved this.

I feel like Karina Longworth would have a good take on this

21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Feel like everyone on this site constantly shit talks the Oscars for being lame and out of touch but can’t go a few pages of a movie thread without talking about who should be nominated and win.

22. Nathan

Trust me, I would LOVE for a movie to come out and no one to mention the Oscars at all

23. Morrissey

Trusted

A spoiler tag but for Oscars. Much easier to skip past

I Am Mick and Victor Eremita like this.
  24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I guess I love the Oscars themselves but hate everything leading up to them. Need to get better at avoiding that.

25. phaynes12

that’s everyone on every website? it’s the awards complex’s sole reason for existence lol