Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester Orchestra Band • Page 51

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

oh yea, damn i wish I was around for that!

2. BoldTitan May 30, 2017
    (Last edited: May 30, 2017)
    BoldTitan

Trusted

I listened to it when it was shortly leaked on a soundcloud link by Concord and posted to reddit.

3. RuckerPark

Someone else is in my place. Supporter

4. BoldTitan

Trusted

Has this forum ever done an album rate of their discography? Each poster going song by song rating 1-10 and commenting and then an overall 1-10 rating of the album?

teebs41 likes this.
  5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This forum does like ranking things. I'm interested in the commentary if it happens

6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I'd have a hard time ranking most of the songs anything lower than a 9!

Anthony_D'Elia, teebs41 and fenway89 like this.
  7. BoldTitan

Trusted

I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child

1. Wolves at Night - 9.5 - This song kicks the album off and makes you instantly think "This band has something special" from the keys to the vocals to the guitars kicking in.
    2. Now That You're Home - 9.5
    3. The Neighborhood is Bleeding - 9
    4. I Can Feel Your Pain - 7.5 - I do enjoy Andy's soft songs, but I feel like the older he got, the better he got at making them a bit more fully fleshed out. Still a good song.
    5. Where Have You Been? - 10 - I love how in the live versions of this song he interchanges the lyrics with "Child, Where have you been?" and "My Son, where have you been?" along with a lot of others you can find on songmeanings website. Dives into his relationship with God and how it is ok to be angry with God and question him and how that doesn't change who he is or his love
    6. I Can Barely Breathe - 10 - This is one of their best live songs that made me really appreciate the song more.
    7. Sleeper 1972 - 8.5 - A step better in the soft haunting songs about death.
    8. Golden Ticket - 8 -
    9. Alice And Interiors - 6.5 - Nothing really special about this song and usually a skip
    10. Don't Let Them See You Cry - 7 - Too similar to I Can Feel Your Pain and isn't as good
    11. Colly Strings - 11 - I have a lot of connections to this song. This one is about meeting his wife and their first issues. It really encompasses everything Manchester does great. The soft build up to the hard heart wrenching explosion.

Album Rating: 8.8 - Incredible to think Andy was 17-19 during this first album's creation. Some great songs that still work even to this day when he is almost 30 years old. Includes my favorite song by them. Awesome start to a new band.

(I'm going to try to rate these a little tougher than I normally would rate things because Manchester is my favorite band and there really isn't a song I don't enjoy by them. These are just my opinion and I am by no means a music critic. I am ranking as if 5 is Meh, mediocre, not a failing F, 7.5 is Good, 9 is awesome, 10 is INCREDIBLE! and each album gets one 11. Going to leave comments for some-most of the songs)

8. Larry David

You nailed the top 3 songs on the record. When my fiancee and I started dating she was doing overnights at the hospital so the "You're the reason I love losing sleep" line gets me always in "Colly Strings"

ChiliTacos and BoldTitan like this.
  9. AngryMan

Regular

Wolves at night has to be one of the sickest opening tracks on a debut that I've ever heard. Their performance of it on Letterman was so epic. I'll post this any time I have an excuse to, even though the audio is slightly off sync.

As much as I love Tim and how well he fits MO, Jeremiah's style was captivating.

10. AngryMan

Regular

It just dawned on me how similar the end of Wolves at Night is to that old song Runaround Sue.

11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Great and comprehensive overview. I think I'd agree with you on the whole. This is still my favourite album by them (followed by Simple Math) and seeing all the songs here broken down just highlights how good it is. Great job.

12. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I've seen their other Letterman performances but had no idea this one existed. Thanks for sharing! Is that not Robert on guitar?

13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Was listening to ILAV on my way to work today (I feel like all I've been listening to has been ManOrch since the new album hype began in earnest this past week) and it still strikes me to this day how damn good that album is for someone at that point in his career. It just comes right out the gate and says "Something special is happening here." And nobody could've been prepared for what was to come next, either.

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  14. Larry David

This performance is great

15. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

truelovewaits and AngryMan like this.
  16. AngryMan

Regular

That's Robert! His hair is just a little longer than it's been in awhile and the lo-def makes it tough to recognize him.

17. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

coleslawed, .K. and fenway89 like this.
  18. Larry David

What is everyone's favorite live song of this band?

I'll go one off of each record I've seen them live for(Didn't see them supporting Cope or Hope)

Virgin: Where Have You Been?
    METN: The River
    Simple Math: Simple Math(seeing this live bumped it into top 5 of their entire discography)

19. Anthony_

20. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I'm on the line with that number. Keeps playing different sounds

21. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

called it and i think i'm listening to stems or song clips or something

fenway89 likes this.
  22. Kevin360

Choose 0 - 9.

I just called the number and holy heck.

Single release on June 8th, I believe.

Mary V and fenway89 like this.
  23. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah thats what I'm getting as well

24. Anthony_

Damn I don't want to wait a week wahhhhhhh

Bo Joiner, h8bit and Kevin360 like this.
  25. Kevin360

I have to say, I love the way they're doing this. Super fun.

Mary V, Anthony_D'Elia and fenway89 like this.