Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester Orchestra Band • Page 133

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

pride, simple math, trees or indentions

fully expecting to get owned for this btw

2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I think in the conversation about losing songs off of Manchester Orchestra albums, I would choose not losing songs off of Manchester Orchestra albums.

Also Ocean and Virgin are both amazing and have been on every ManOrch playlist I’ve made since they came out.

BoldTitan and mad like this.
  3. travisred

Trusted Supporter

A bunch of heathens you all are.

4. Dog Fish

Mutt

christ almighty. 'simple math' is my exmormon anthem.

5. Leftandleaving

cannot stand that song. the only one on that album I don't like lol

I've accepted that I have unorthodox manorch opinions

MrAirplane likes this.
  6. Dog Fish

Mutt

Well, I don't like leaky breaks and know I'm in the minority there

7. Leftandleaving

:(

dadbolt likes this.
  8. Dog Fish

Mutt

I know it was intentional, but being a fan since the release of i'm like a virgin, being blown away by mean everything, and just anticipating for months the closer for simple math. Then interviews were released saying that they weren't going to do a crazy closer and it was heartbreaking.

.K. likes this.
  9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I remember watching live videos of songs that later appeared on METN and thought they big loud songs sounded similar live as they did on the record. Stuff Pride and Shake It Out and so on.

I’ve always felt the record sound should be the best version. When you’re live you have different factors, like indoor/outdoor, the size of the room, the people in the room, the people mixing the show on the board and so on.

I want the record to feel like the record and the live show to be the live show. If you chose to record in live style in the studio with the band members all playing, I want to feel where they are standing in the room and not have it muddled.

Again, good songs, I just don’t like how it was recorded considering they’ve had really great sounding records on everything else since LAVLAC and Bad Books. I get the production choices of Right Away Great Captain for the story of the music.

My thoughts. I don’t go back to Cope as often because of it. I’d rather they just do a live record if that’s the goal.

TSLROCKS likes this.
  10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed. Crazy big closures have added to the lore of bands like Jimmy Eat World and Thrice to some extent. If you got one, put it on the record. Fans love and appreciate those songs and what a great to end an album journey.

11. AshlandATeam

Trusted

As a counter point, I’ve had a couple good friends who absolutely love the band live but never listen to them otherwise because they say the songs sound a lot weaker/thinner/softer. And I can see that - they may be the loudest band I’ve ever seen live, and they play with dynamics more dramatically than any band I’ve ever seen.

I don’t know that I’m here to defend the choice they made on that record. I do understand it, and I personally don’t think the album suffers for it. But I also can tell a difference between it and other albums (though I can tell the most dramatic recording difference with Black Mile. It makes all the other albums sound muddy in my opinion. It’s just so crisp and clean and perfect). So I get folks not loving that aspect of things.

I do think, though, that when you’re as powerful live as Manchester Orchestra is, capturing that in a studio is always going to be really, really difficult.

.K. likes this.
  12. Dog Fish

Mutt

Someone posted an early article about Simple Math that had Apprehension as the original closer.

.K. likes this.
  13. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

leaky breaks gives me wilco vibes and I love it for that

14. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I could listen to Leaky Breaks on repeat for hours.

dadbolt likes this.
  15. That record is like their Sky Blue Sky which I love

dadbolt likes this.
  16. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

agree with all of these except in my teeth. The first five tracks off METN are perfect & in perfect order.

virgin is too overproduced for me. that choir is so unnecessary IMO

Dog Fish likes this.
  17. nah it's spooky for halloween

chewbacca110 likes this.
  18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Fair, Fair Fair.

I just think it was the wrong choice the for that record and it suffers for it in their discography.

They kind of succeeded at something and didn’t need to make a change. I realize that BMTTS was probably a a big change too, but it wasn’t distracting change, in was a complimentary change.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I disagree with all of this list except In My Teeth. I think it messes with the pacing of the album and feels like a b-side. I don't hate the song, but it doesn't make me feel anything.

20. BoldTitan

Trusted

Are you saying you never really needed it anyway?

21. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Uhhh Andys in the studio with Logic?

atticusfinch, JBoch and astereo like this.
  22. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

:hearno::seeno::speakno:

23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

ugh...

neo506 likes this.
  24. Dog Fish

Mutt

Anyone know what the email surprise was for those who were suppose to attend the cancelled show? It was sent out yesterday.

25. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

Tasteful nudes.