Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester Orchestra Band • Page 125

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. BoldTitan

Trusted

$20 a month tier because of course. The live shows and podcasts have been great. The shows in particular are phenomenal. Not sure they’re $20 great. But I want to support them as much as I can.

astereo likes this.
  2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

As far as releasing a record to go with a tour...Let's not lose sight that MO has been a band for 15 years now and for the past 6-7 years they've been consistently playing decently sized/respectable venues (1-2K capacity). At this point of their careers, I'm not sure there is anything they could release to significantly boost the size of the venues they'd play or bring them a swarm of new fans 15 years in. Not saying it's not possible, but that's most likely the reality for bands like them at this point of their careers.

I feel like if they have music that is ready to release it, why not? Most fans will still be there for them if and when touring can resume - which again, could be anywhere between 6 to 12 to 18 months from now. There are plenty of bands/artists who are putting out records during this time knowing they cannot tour off them, but are releasing the music anyways.

Most fans are going to support their favorite bands/artists when touring returns - regardless if they have new music to tour off of. Don't think it'll make a difference if there is new material or not, fans will just be excited to go to concerts again (that's IF fans feel comfortable enough to go back to concerts or IF bands/artists can even book tours given the fact many venues will close and many venues will give the cancelled 2020 tours first shot at booking).

The band will do what they feel comfortable with - and honestly I don't care what they do. Selfishly, I want music ASAP, but they can do what they feel is necessary for them and their families but at the same time, not sure how much sense it makes to delay releasing music for 6-12-18 months if it's ready now. There are just so many unknowns about the future of touring right now that it almost seems silly to delay other aspects of your business in order to fall back on something that we don't know if and when it'll return.

3. Dog Fish

Mutt

That's why I was very surprised with Phoebe's decision to release. Highly rated album, currently exploding, and can't tour. If she can do it, anyone can.

4. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I would be interested in seeing tour numbers with and without new music. Anecdotally, in my area, with similarly sized bands over the years, I’ve definitely noticed a difference. For example, Motion City Soundtrack sold out a venue touring for a record, and then came back a year later and didn’t sell it out. TBS, NFG, Yellowcard, Alkaline Trio - none of them sold the place out when they weren’t touring new music. Jimmy Eat World did, touring on a new album, and ManOrch did, touring on an album.

That’s one decent sized college town, and this genre of music doesn’t do as well as country or hip-hop. But anecdotally, having a new record seems to help. Or maybe I just have a bad feel on band audiences and those aren’t actually similarly sized bands.

5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Could also release Sinful Math in its entirety to a wide audience to appease fans/make a few bucks on top of the Patreon and Andy Demos earlier this Spring. That would help delay expectations for a new album.
    Or still and EP like I said.

Tough decisions. It’s puts a lot of faith in your fans to release an album now.

The other scenario of waiting to release until touring is possible puts a lots of faith in citizens following guidelines, venues being able to open, tour crew/manager, feels feeling comfortable/safe attending venues and the bands and their families being comfortable too.

6. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

selfishly I'd prefer they release a new album now, or at least when it's ready. Personally I feel I've been buying more music from artists web stores and supporting them in otherways outside of just going to shows, and I think it would be good to get those merchandise sales and streaming revenue if they can't tour.

Mary V and .K. like this.
  7. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

My old post from Reddit still holds true.

“Releasing a new album in this current world would be a nightmare. Physical productions are either extremely limited or all together halted. If they can’t physically produce a record, or do a proper ‘roll-out’, they risk it just being forgotten. Losing major sales opportunities. Most people are not thinking about buying a bands new record right now. Countless bands and movie studios have delayed releases during this pandemic for the same reasons.

But, even if they did release a new album as download only. People would complain and keep asking why/when is it being posted to streaming services. Like people JUST DID with the B-Sides albums Andy posted a few weeks ago - even though they can still stream them right now for free on bandcamp.”

irthesteve likes this.
  8. ManchesterOrch8

While anything can happen, and we all adapt to the new world from day to day, I still think it’d be bad business to drop a record without everything else.

They could, and still may, just say ‘fuck it’ at some point. But I think we’re months away from that.

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

There is no right or wrong answer. We’re in unchartered territory and everything is an unknown right now.

10. Sal Paradise

Trusted

The other aspect with the release is that it sounds like it’s not 100% done. I feel like it was a little different for say Phoebe or Bright Eyes who both were on the verge of announcing their records right around the time COVID hit. Phoebe seemed to go along as planned where. Bright Eyes sat on it for a bit before eventually just moving forward. The fact that MO hadn’t started the album cycle in any capacity gives them added flexibility to “wait and see”

coleslawed and BoldTitan like this.
  11. WornSoThin

Regular

I’m also Sheffield based and as you say it was bad enough before, with Leeds or Manchester being much better served so hopefully the industry will get through this.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Nice to see someone else from Sheffield!

WornSoThin likes this.
  13. softanimal

It's my mum's dodge caravan

Coincidentally I may be having to move to Sheffield in September if I get a new job, so really hoping the funding package makes a difference!

awakeohsleeper and WornSoThin like this.
  14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Anyone with a decent music taste is welcome as far as I'm concerned!

softanimal likes this.
  15. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Uhhh there's a new RAGC album out???

16. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Nevermind is not new

17. shea

RIP Supporter

this demo alternate take of april fool they just put on patreon is great.

18. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

the version of "Shake it Out" from the Patreon live is soooo fucking good

this band > other bands

19. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Is the live album full band?

20. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

just Andy and Robert so far. Tim was on the first podcast though, and I think they talked about doing full band when they can do it safely

21. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Nice! Might sub for this.

22. BoldTitan

Trusted

They’ve released three concerts. First two was just Andy and Rob. Third had Prince and Tim but was stripped down versions of the songs. They just put the first concert up as an album to download.

23. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

anyone able to send the album to me?

24. BoldTitan

Trusted

Kind of defeats the purpose of supporting the band.

atticusfinch, JBoch and coleslawed like this.
  25. ManchesterOrch8

Will pay if someone was to get a TA flexi.