Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester Orchestra Announce Tour Openers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Manchester Orchestra have announced that Foxing and Tigers Jaw will be the openers on the band’s upcoming tour. You can find the dates below. (It’s a little disheartening that Surfer Blood keep getting tours though.)

9/5 – ORLANDO, FL – HOUSE OF BLUES*
    9/6 – TAMPA, FL – THE RITZ*
    9/8 – HOUSTON, TX – HOUSE OF BLUES +
    9/9 – AUSTIN, TX – STUBB’S +
    9/10 – DALLAS, TX – HOUSE OF BLUES +
    9/12 – TEMPE, AZ – THE MARQUEE*
    9/13 – SAN DIEGO, CA – OBSERVATORY NORTH PARK*
    9/14 – LOS ANGELES, CA – THE NOVO*
    9/15 – SANTA ANA, CA – OBSERVATORY*
    9/16 – SAN FRANCISCO, CA – REGENCY*
    9/18 – PORTLAND, OR – CRYSTAL BALLROOM*
    9/19 – SEATTLE, WA – THE SHOWBOX*
    9/21 – SALT LAKE CITY, UT – THE COMPLEX*
    9/22 – DENVER, CO – OGDEN THEATRE*
    9/23 – KANSAS CTIY, MO – CROSSROADS*
    9/24 – CHICAGO, IL – CONCORD MUSIC HALL*
    9/26 – COLUMBUS, OH – NEWPORT MUSIC HALL*
    9/27 – DETROIT, MI – THE FILLMORE*
    9/29 – NEW YORK, NY – TERMINAL 5*
    9/30 – WORCESTER, MA – PALLADIUM*
    10/1 – PHILADELPHIA, PA – THE FILLMORE*
    10/3 – SILVER SPRING, MD – THE FILLMORE*
    10/4 – RALEIGH, NC – THE RITZ*
    10/5 – NORFOLK, VA – THE NORVA*
    10/6 – COLUMBIA, SC – MUSIC FARM*
    10/7 – ATLANTA, GA – TABERNACLE*
    * – Tigers Jaw and Foxing
    + – Foxing and Surfer Blood

cwhit likes this.
  2. cwhit Jul 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 7, 2017)
    cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

thanks for posting that surfer blood article, jason. it's so exhausting, i convinced a local promoter to cancel a show they put on a few days ago and then seeing this right after is just the worst feeling. hate that abusive white dudes keep getting more opportunities than some very talented poc and non dudes

Arry, fenway89 and Serenity Now like this.
  3. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Had no idea about surfer blood. Thankfully they aren't on the Portland date.

Serenity Now likes this.
  4. Yikes @ playing with Surfer Blood, even if it is only a few shows. Strange/surprising that MO would be okay with that (if they're aware of the band's history).

Serenity Now likes this.
  5. cwhit

the band's history has been swept under the rug so hard and forgiven by media outlets (just look at that quoted pitchfork interview in the article jason posted) i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know.

just look at the huge community support the band got when their other member passed away. tragic situation of course, but people definitely forgot about this.

Serenity Now likes this.
  6. charlie foti

It's crazy that the all the people are calling a boycott because of information they pulled off a clerk of court website. If you read the actual statements from the girl and the guy in question it seemed like it was an unhealthy relationship and this was an unfortunate means to an end. Both individuals have certainly grown and learned a lot since then. The fucking dude has to live with the regret of his actions and has to see her hurt eyes in his soul everyday, you think that shit-talking the only thing he probably does good is beneficial to anyone? Dude probably needs counseling. Someone obviously abused him to where he abused someone else. Thats how it works. Shunning people because their mistakes is wrong. Society is messed up!

Just my take I honestly never even heard the band... dont like hipster vampire weekend music lol

xburningcoffin and Serenity Now like this.
  7. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Yeah i think we might be chastising him a bit too harshly as well. Not excusing his actions, OR not entirely taking accountability for them, but it sounds like an unhealthy relationship got a little out of hand.

I also don't thinking taking a plea deal means her version of the story is the absolute truth. It very well may be, but they both had marks on them... if his different story goes up against hers in court and they both have marks on them, he doesn't have a shot in hell.

Serenity Now likes this.
  8. [​IMG]

9. AshlandATeam

Trusted

This is a sincere question:

Once something like this happens, should a band/artist just be done in the public eye, or is there something that can be done/time passes with good behavior so that the slate is wiped clean?

In sports, it's a question that comes up a lot with various offenses - a guy cheats or is suspended for domestic violence, and some fans hold it against them forever and some just totally seem to forget after a certain amount of time. And in general, it depends on how 'likeable' or useful to win games a player is.

With this, the guy got arrested in 2012. He is legally responsible, the charges are dropped when he does what needs done to get them gone, and then it's all over in 2013.

So, should he still be penalized in 2017 for a crime from 2012/13? Is what he did the sort of thing that makes it so he simply shouldn't be in a position to be looked up to/have access to fans? Or does 4/5 years without incident change things?

I'm curious as to what you all think about that.

10. Tigers Jaw is dope

KennedyBN and Snewt like this.
  11. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Yo, I'm with you every step of the way on getting this band out of the public eye and away from further opportunities, especially with someone so seemingly remorseless as Pitt, but this is a super cold stance of you to take. Everything with Fekete's death is such a whole different thing and to put it in comparison is uncomfortable.

fenway89 and Aaron Mook like this.
  12. Cody

Like, I definitely don't think the rest of the band Surfer Blood shouldn't receive emotional support after a (presumably) close friend's passing just because they continue to support an abuser whom, if I'm being honest, I would also wish emotional support upon during a situation like a close friend's death. Maybe that last part is a bit too much empathy, but I don't know. Two completely disparate situations that require some compartmentalization.

Aaron Mook and FTank like this.
  13. Cody

Regardless, point is this one's a no-brainer and it's weird and bad they're on this tour. This whole thing with Pitts has always felt like borderline covered-up to me and it's gross. Dude has a real punchable face and such a privileged-sounding name so of course nobody talks about it anymore.

14. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I'm excited for foxing. If they play an upbeat set I think this will do big things for them.

15. CMilliken

Trusted

Tigers Jaw and Foxing for the SLC date?! For sure going now!

fenway89 and Turkeylegz like this.
  16. cwhit

I never once said it wasn't tragic and not a horrible situation! And it deserved the outpouring of support for it, but it's still just very interesting how this situation was forgotten amongst all the support.

17. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Foxing is daddy af. Tigers jaw is dope too

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Is "daddy" an adjective now

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

God I hope not. Either way, I refuse.

20. Serenity Now

Brings up a good conversation about how much faith we put in rehabilitation methods and second chances in this county. I always struggle with this issue when I hear of a kid (pre-18) convicted of a felony who has to pay for it their entire life by not being employable and eventually becoming dependent on social welfare.

Would like to hear from the early posters on this thread to get there thoughts. Something beyond a GIF would be great.

21. cwhit

this guy has shown literally zero remorse for the situation, he deserves nothing.

22. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. Serenity Now

So then if he comes out with a public apology that shows sincere remorse & humility, you would be more comfortable with them continuing to book gigs?

This is a sincere question and not an attempt to be antagonistic.

24. cwhit

after years of denying he's done anything, i'm not too sure. it would take a lot of work to get back into the mindset.

there's a horrible mistake happening and then there's denying it's happened. he has done the latter, so fuck him.

25. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I'll be there as well! I mean I bought my ticket the instant it went on sale so I didn't care who opened, but this is an added bonus.

As to the more important discussion. It's all about the way people handle things. If this dude had been remorseful from day 1, admitted he was guilty and done the time/punishment and then spent the rest of his life trying to make amends then I would be fine with him touring with bands, being successful.

In another thread someone brought up Michael Vick. He is a good example for someone that, owned up to what they did. He did his time and his spent his time since his jail/prison (can't remember which he got) time being an advocate against animal abuse. People have accepted him cause he did it the right way.

With this dude, too much time has passed to where if he tried anything else it would seem so hollow

CMilliken likes this.