Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester Orchestra Announce New Album, Release New Song • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 9, 2017.

1. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Which I'm absolutely okay with - as I've enjoyed everything Andy's made. Plus his vocals are so distinctive, no matter how much they depart from their sound, I'll always still sound like Manchester.

AshlandATeam and Jason Tate like this.
  2. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I haven't loved or even liked much from them since Virgin. I am beyond stoked over this song and press release.

3. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

This is great. Excited for the direction on this record.

teebs41 and fenway89 like this.
  4. Dog Fish

Mutt

Fair enough. But please tell me they haven't completely departed from those sweet signature MO guitar bends.

5. Heh, there's guitars and bending.

Dog Fish, fenway89 and teebs41 like this.
  6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

oh you've been holding out on me! Yes!

fenway89 likes this.
  7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is so good. Andy's vocals are always incredible, and I love the production on this.

8. TheZeroKid

I'm Not Holden Caulfield Prestigious

The song is great and I really fucking love that video, omg.

teebs41 likes this.
  9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

There's no way this isn't great

10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

haven't listened to MO much in the past but this song is great

teebs41 likes this.
  11. Bryan Diem

Trusted

This is real nice

teebs41 likes this.
  12. I just revisited Cope the other day thinking all the verses sounded the same with palm muted power chords. I think I like every MO album less than the one before it, but this sounds like it might change that.

teebs41 and Jusscali like this.
  13. LivingInColor8

This is how I initially felt about Simple Math, but 6 years later I revisit that album far more often than METN or Virgin. Virgin probably has more sentimental value because of where I was in my life at the time, but Simple Math has held up incredibly well over the years.

14. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

The new single is good, nothing crazy. But really looking back, they've never really wowed me with a record like KD, BN, or Thrice have

15. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I'd say this single is better than probably anything in KDs catalogue, maybe even Brand News and Thrices, and they are my favorite bands

AshlandATeam and Jason Tate like this.
  16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I thought SM was amazing on first listen, went years thinking it was overhyped and stupid, then came back after Cope and think it is a bit better than Cope, which is half amazing half eh, while SM is like 60% amazing

17. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I've always felt that ManOrch is the most emotionally and thematically heavy band I listen to. I can barely get through Virgin and Simple Math without choking up, and the last stretch of Mean Everything is as emotionally harrowing as music can be. They're brilliant and haunting and beautiful records, and they remain in my rotation because I love them, but sometimes I just am not in a place where I can process everything those albums make me feel.

Cope is the opposite of that - it's my most listened to ManOrch record simply because it DOESN'T destroy me emotionally. Call it a good thing or a bad thing, but it's definitely a thing. I can put it on, enjoy it, and not want to cry several times over 45 minutes. It's a breath of fresh air, I think, and is what their discography needed at the time.

I don't know if the new record will be more in the vein of the first three or the fourth, but I know I'm ready for it.

18. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

That is a ridiculous statement

G. Jordan Norris likes this.
  19. Connor

Its not. But instead of bringing nothing to the conversation by just stating my statement is ridiculous. You could at least try and explaining to me how its objectively ridiculous.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  20. Michael Qualiano Jun 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 12, 2017)
    Michael Qualiano

mikeq

You're seriously saying that this cute little track is better than The Devil and God (tracks like Sowing Season, Millstone, Jesus, Degausser, Limousine, You Won't Know, Luca, etc.), better than KD's (Brooklyn Boy, Ballgame, Just Stay, Bloodhound, Cotton Crush), or Thrice's (Red Sky, Firebreather, Circles, Broken Lungs, etc.) HONESTLY? I could give you 10-15 tracks more from each artist that are far superior. Give me break

I also didn't think that I needed to divulge into the absurdity of that statement

21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I wouldn't say far superior but yea, IDK I do love this song....... it's way too early to tell if its better than the ones you just mentioned..

22. Connor

I basically stopped paying attention to your statement when you called this a "cute little track". Sure maybe I was being hyperbolic, but still this song is definitely on par IMO with every song you listed, and better than Brooklyn Boy, Bloodhound, Firebreather and Broken Lungs. Don't get me wrong, I love everything Thrice has done minus Major/Minor. Brand New is arguably my favorite band, and I love KD.

I personally think Andy is the better songwriter out of all of them. He isn't as heavy handed as Dustin or KD, and he never has the lyrical lows of Bed, In A Jar and parts of Sink. He is very consistent.

With this song each musician in the band is at their best sounding. After burying Tim in the mix on Cope, he is out in full force at drums here. Andy Prince is an excellent bass player, and the guitars are unique as well. And Andy hasn't ever sounded better vocally IMO.

To dismiss the musicianship and songwriting displayed in this as "cute" is so ridiculous that I honestly don't know why I'm even bother responding.

23. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I hate to be this person, but which album should I start with? Always wanted to get more into these guys.

fenway89 likes this.
  24. lava890 Jun 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 12, 2017)
    lava890

Regular Supporter

I doubt we'll get a lot of agreement on this, but I think "Mean Everything to Nothing" is one of their most accessible albums.

coleslawed and Turkeylegz like this.
  25. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

You lost your credibility when you said Andy was a better songwriter than Kevin. (Or Jesse/ Dustin)