Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester Orchestra Announce New Album, Release New Song

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Manchester Orchestra will release their new album, A Black Mile to the Surface, on July 28th via Loma Vista Recordings. Today they’ve debuted their new song, “The Gold,” and pre-orders are now up. You’ll find the album artwork, track listing, and a full press release below.

Manchester Orchestra will release their new album A Black Mile To The Surface on July 28, 2017 via Loma Vista Recordings. First single “The Gold” premiered yesterday on SiriusXM’s Alt Nation and its accompanying video — an evocative and surreal animated collage by directors Mike Dempsey and Johnny Chew — can be seen here. A Black Mile To The Surface is available for pre-order now, with “The Gold” coming as an instant grat download with purchase.
    Always a band to push themselves creatively with each subsequent release, Atlanta-based Manchester Orchestra has expanded their dynamic sound to peak form on the cinematic and epic A Black Mile To The Surface. The album — featuring production by Catherine Marks (Foals, PJ Harvey, The Killers), John Congleton (St. Vincent, Explosions In The Sky, Angel Olsen), and their longtime studio partner Dan Hannon — showcases a band that rethought, deconstructed, and rebuilt their songwriting process to propel their music into a new emotional arena, drawing on singer/guitarist Andy Hull and co-writer/multi-instrumentalist Robert McDowell’s unique experience scoring the 2016 Sundance hit film Swiss Army Man (directed by The Daniels).

“We’re a band that loves to use heavy, crunchy guitars,” says Hull. “We wondered how we could limit the use of that, so that when the guitars come in they can be creative and impactful. For Swiss Army Man we had to make seventy minutes of music with our hands tied behind our backs. When you’re creating all the sounds you need just from the human voice, it allows you to rethink what is possible, and determine what is really needed. We wanted to make an album in a ‘non-Manchester’ way if there is such a thing.”

Throughout recording A Black Mile to the Surface, Hull and McDowell — along with bandmates Tim Very (drums) and Andy Prince (bass) — opened up their collaborative process and pushed themselves to go against their first instincts at every turn. Lyrically, Hull found a new freedom in mirroring his personal experiences through fictional characters, examining the ultimately universal themes of family, shared history, hope, and valuing the time that we’re given.

A Black Mile to the Surface is a bold record of vision and purpose, inspired by and dwelling in a sensory and imaginative experience. It’s a reinvention of sorts — both musically and personally — and an evolution of the band, while also retaining the sweeping, melodic, and anthemic sounds for which Manchester Orchestra has become known.

[​IMG]
    Manchester Orchestra – A Black Mile to the Surface

Track Listing

1. The Maze
    2. The Gold
    3. The Moth
    4. Lead, SD
    5. The Alien
    6. The Sunshine
    7. The Grocery
    8. The Wolf
    9. The Mistake
    10. The Parts
    11. The Silence

fenway89 likes this.
  2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

HERE FOR IT!! What a song!

3. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I was always curious how Swiss Army Man would influence MO's next record. I think we are seeing the start of it. Great song and an exciting and fresh new direction for them. I think it's the culmination of Swiss Army Man + Hope. Can't wait to hear the record in full.

4. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

With scary music this video would be horrifying.

5. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This kind of reminds me of The Dear Hunter.

6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I definitely hear Casey's influence on this. Andy and Casey are really close and have toured together so it sort of makes sense. Pretty sure Casey showed up to the studio for a few days to help out too.

Chase Tremaine and fenway89 like this.
  7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I absolutely love Hope, which was a beautiful re-imagining of Cope, and this song definitely reminds me of its lushness. I hope there are still some crunchy, heavy moments on the album, but I'll gladly enjoy an album in this vein.

Chase Tremaine and fenway89 like this.
  8. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I've never not loved a Manchester Orchestra record.

This song leads me to believe that streak will not be broken.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  9. Dog Fish

Mutt

Zack Zarillo said via Twitter "Have had the album for a while and it will not be what you expect." I wonder what he meant by that...

@Jason Tate ?

fenway89 likes this.
  10. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

The single art for "The Gold" would make a great TWIABP album cover.

coleslawed, Sybil and fenway89 like this.
  11. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

Only shipping option is priority 2-day for the vinyl. kinda pricey to ship to seattle.

12. tape_deck_heart

New song is great, I think I'm in the minority who prefers their softer sound (I'm Like A Virgin or Hope) to their heavier stuff. Excited to see what this album sounds like.

13. I am absolutely blown away by how incredible this song is. In every way.

fenway89 likes this.
  14. AngryMan

Regular

This is apparently the hardest song on the record.

15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

not true from what I've heard

16. AngryMan

Regular

Didn't Jason say that? Or that it was one of the hardest on the record?

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Can't really get into it but he said there are two songs that connect the new album to the bands past work and this was one of them, but said another one was the "heaviest" on the album

fenway89 likes this.
  18. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Not that i don't appreciate Manchester's slower side, especially after COPE, but I'm a little disappointed to hear that this song is 50% of the faster side of the record.

19. The press release sounds like the band is trying to redefine what "heavy" means for them, and to take the elements of heaviness and use them in different ways.

KidLightning likes this.
  20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Really enjoy the song. It sounds extremely familiar to something and I can't quite put my finger on it.

21. AngryMan

Regular

All That I Really Wanted and Never Really Been Another Way Out?

22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

That's it yep. I guess it should have been obvious haha.

AngryMan likes this.
  23. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I never take anything this guy says seriously.

24. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Probably just means not to expect it to sound like most other Manchester stuff. Seems like they are going for something more heavy, but more in reference to the feel and not like the crunching guitars. Like heavy as in atmosphere. Anyways I'm guessing thats more or less what he means about it being not what we expect.

25. The album is a pretty big departure from their last album (and what the band is kinda known for sound-wise). I'm guessing that's what he's referring to.

fenway89 likes this.