Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile to the Surface (July 28, 2017) Album • Page 294

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by RuckerPark, May 30, 2017.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I tweeted to everyone asking for them. Here’s the thing, throw them up on your website for $15, it’s digital files so it’s free! Pure profit!

2. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Black Mile is the only Manchester Orchestra album that I can listen to entirely front to back. So good.

CoachBalke and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

METN
    ABMTTS
    LAVLAC
    SM
    HOPE
    COPE

are the only Manchester Orchestra albums I can listen to front to back.

coleslawed and serotonin like this.
  4. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

I know it was a joke but there's so many other releases and live sets that I still have in my rotation. I don't listen to Nobody Sings Anymore that often, but I still listen to You Brainstorm, I Brainstorm, but Brilliance Needs a Good Editor (YBIBbBNaGE for short), Let My Pride Be What's Left Behind (LMPBWLB), Fourteen Years of Excellence, 12 Days of Christmas (although I usually skip the last day admittedly), Live from SoHo... Plus a bunch of fantastic live sets on YouTube.

Now that I think of it I probably listen to way too much Manchester Orchestra, but I love them all in their own way.

awakeohsleeper and teebs41 like this.
  5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I listen to last years acl set all the time

serotonin likes this.
  6. BoldTitan

Trusted

The only reason anyone thinks Cope isn't that great is because it's compared to the rest of their incredibly discography. On it's own in that year and just in general it's a damn good record.

Thankfully we as fans don't have to have those hated albums we don't talk about. If Cope is the "worst" these dudes put out, hot damn that's fantastic.

serotonin and teebs41 like this.
  7. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

Cope will be MO's Daisy.

You'll all come around in 5 more years or so and claim it's the best they've ever done and you felt that way from the start. ;)

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I think that could actually be Simple Math

Dog Fish and irthesteve like this.
  9. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

I used to love Virgin but I think as I’ve grown older I find myself unable to listen to that one in its entirety anymore. Some of the song straight up sound annoying to me.

Simple Math might be their best in my opinion now. METN and Black Mile are both fantastic too. I pretend Cope doesn’t exist.

10. ManchesterOrch8

Cope has become a lot more polarizing than Simple Math ever was.

11. ManchesterOrch8

METN
    VIRGIN
    SM
    BMTTS
    COPE
    HOPE

But it all changes, and Cope and SM are probably my most played the last few years.

12. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Cope is just way too all over the place for me. Some good songs, some not so good. Simple Math is probably my second favorite after Black Mile

Quercus likes this.
  13. AngryMan

Regular

Anyone else think I Was A Lid is a top 5 MO song?

14. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Amazing song! Hm top 5

I can’t do this
    I won’t do this
    I’ll try to do it lol

NO ORDER

Every Stone (hope version) I cant explain why.
    Pride (this thing just goes off so hard)
    The Gold (I can pretend that it isn’t cool to love this song, but dang I love it so much)
    Colly Strings (so predictable)
    The Silence (best closer ever)

AngryMan and serotonin like this.
  15. serotonin

This version is so great. Bummed I missed the Hope tour but it was Chicago (5+ hr drive) on a weekday.

teebs41 likes this.
  16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

it certainly is!

17. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I just watched that video yesterday. It was one of my best friends' birthday yesterday so for whatever reason I was looking at all our past Facebook interactions and I had posted this on his wall back in 2015. Had totally forgot it existed so I watched it.

So good.

teebs41 and serotonin like this.
  18. serotonin

They had a full stream of a show on Yahoo on the Hope tour... I set it to screen record but it messed up and I never saw it posted ever again. That was a great set.

teebs41 likes this.
  19. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Cope’s production is a mess, and most the songs are so one-note to me and run together. Structurally they all feel identical and it’s just not great to me

20. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s why Hope was better, even if it was mostly quiet it still felt more dynamic and the mix is actually great on it.

21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Indentions is the only song I don't care for on Cope. I'd put Every Stone, Trees and After the Scripture in the band's Top Tier songs. Everything else on there is in the range of good to really good.

Brother Beck likes this.
  22. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

There are people on this site that have high def links to it, can’t remember who and it isn’t me.

serotonin likes this.
  23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I remember watching it live, but yeah, I don't think I ever saw it anywhere elsewhere. Used to love when Yahoo did those weekly concerts. Not sure why they stopped doing it.

24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

But they left "After The Scripture" off the album...

It is definitely on my version - I think it is probably the best song from that entire era.

teebs41 likes this.
  25. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I know it's not on the *official* album, but it's on the Deluxe version that I bought from iTunes, so I always just considered it as part of Cope considering I've never had a version of Cope without it (it's the only LP of theirs that I do not own). The deluxe is also on Spotify as well.