Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonegan, November 18, 2016) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Davjs

Trusted

I agree Denzel was the better actor this year, but this movie was so tragic that I think it hit people harder.

2. RonandTammy

Regular

Yea, I felt bad for Lee. I honestly don't know how you'd recover from something like that. Then to see your ex wife pregnant...I even teared up a bit during that exchange.

3. Davjs

Trusted

For sure, this movie just kept packing on the sad.

4. RonandTammy

Regular

Even with the ending. Things were "decent" with his nephew but that's about it.

5. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Finally saw this and thought it was great. All the emotional scenes hit hard, especially his conversation with Michelle Williams towards the end when she breaks down. Most of the things she was saying to him were practically verbatim told to me of an ex of 10+ years and they nailed the sad, stuttering conversation.

6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

And to refer to a post earlier in this thread, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a masterwork and, in my opinion, the best movie since 2001: A Space Odyssey. I think it's perfect.

coleslawed and Fronnyfron like this.
  7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Assassintion is great but, respectfully, see more movies

8. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

There's a lot of movies I need to see, no doubt, but that one still tops the list, outside of 2001.

I think every aspect of it is perfect: writing, direction, narration, cinematography, setting, pacing, story, characters, etc... There's not a single thing I dislike in it.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Nathan

Assassination is great! 2001 is an astronomical bar to set, and there’s a long list I’d put up of films since 1968 that rival it before I’s get Jesse James.

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

For sure, I know what you mean. And to clarify, I know I'm being hyperbolic about it but I really do just love that movie so much!

2001: A Space Odyssey is peak film making. I would even say that it transcends film into a different echelon and I don't think anything comes close to it.

As far as Assassination goes, out of every other movie I've seen, it's the best, so I would say it's second only to 2001. But the gulf between the two is enormous. And there aren't many other movies I would say are perfect or near perfect behind Assassination.

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Prepare for your mind to be blown

coleslawed and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh yes, this is 3rd on my masterpiece list!

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  13. Lucas27

Trusted

This movie means so much to me. I watched it last winter while my mom was in ICU and one of my best friends had just committed suicide. It was therapeutic. The "can we have lunch?" scene is indelible, but the scene where Patrick breaks down in the kitchen got me the most. When the first package of meat fell out of the freezer I knew what was coming. It's the perfect example of how intense grief is triggered by otherwise ordinary things that just get in your head. There was so little relief in this movie, but it made me feel less alone. It's the cinematic equivalent of hugging someone you love right after something awful has happened. Nothing feels right but you're glad you're not alone.

14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

The Assassination of Jesse James is a top 10 film for me. Easily.

coleslawed and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  15. atlas

Trusted

I just saw this last night for the first time and it absolutely floored me. Probably the best/most personally affecting depiction of depression I've seen in a movie ever.

Although I gotta say apparently a lot of people found this movie very funny and I really didn't? Yeah there were a couple good snarky lines ("what happened to your hand?" "I cut it" "for a second there I didn't know what happened") but most of the "gags" as it were are at the expense of Lee's depression and it's like... I've been there and it's not really funny at all. Maybe I'm just misreading Lonergan's intention with those moments but I saw it way more as "ah man, that's unfortunate"

stayillogical likes this.
  16. Morrissey

Trusted

There are a few comedic moments, and they were definitely intentional. Lonergan himself makes a cameo just so the main character can yell at him and call him names.

17. Nathan

Margaret also had some very funny moments in an otherwise intimate and sprawling narrative that would not be called a comedy overall. He’s good at making movies.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

Moonlight got all the attention that year, and it is a great movie, but Manchester by the Sea is a really special and powerful movie about grief and a rebuke of the myth that time heals all wounds. Lonergan is probably the most underappreciated American director.

atlas and stayillogical like this.
  19. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

That fire scene still messes me up.

Lucas27 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  20. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I haven't forgotten this movie, still recommend it from time to time. The editing of the fire sequence with the music and everything is incredible. And the final scene between Williams and Affleck is some of the best acting in any film period.

Brent and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

you had me until the last sentence, which is just silly

22. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Do you have an issue with one of their performances? I think both are incredibly powerful, the pain and emotion both people are feeling. It reminds me of another one of my favorites, the car scene in Before Sunrise. Two people just talking and it's so real. What scenes would you call great acting?

23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i mean, the roulette scenes in the deer hunter? pacino and fredo in godfather 2? the bowling alley in there will be blood? maybe i’ll give you along the best acting scenes of the 2010s but that’s about it

24. Nathan

Denis Lavant throughout the entire runtime of Holy Motors or Beau Travail or basically everything he’s ever been in. Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn threaten “greatest acting of all time” every time they were together but particularly Holiday and Bringing Up Baby. Of course Brando and Mifune in many of their works. Everyone in Certain Women, particularly Dern and Jared Harris are exceptional. Michelle Williams is great in that one, too, plus Lily Gladstone and Kristen Stewart.

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

When Joker shot that guy on tv