Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonegan, November 18, 2016) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Dog with a Blog

:heart:

2. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Saw this earlier. Incredible film. I loved it

3. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Finally got to watch this last night and really loved it. Maybe it was just me, but I thought Patrick's reactions to his dad dying were a bit strange. I get that everyone grieves in their own way and what not, but it seemed like he didn't really care that his dad just died and just went on living his life like it was no big deal.

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Well he and his family knew for years about his heart defect was going to cut his life short.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Ah yeah I suppose that's true. And it seemed like he was in the hospital a lot so I guess they probably expected it at any time.

6. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

As someone who lost a family member at around his age I was actually stunned by how realistic that reaction felt to me. I remember looking for any distraction to just not think about it, I think that's definitely how some teenagers (and probably other people too) choose to deal with grief.

7. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

This movie felt so incredibly real to me. I've not dealt with the loss of a close family member, but my dad has had Esophageal Cancer since around June last year and was in the hospital for a week being told he was going to die in September. Luckily they were wrong and he made it through and is still fighting. That experience was unlike anything emotionally that I've been through and going back to work the next week felt empty and meaningless after spending a week with my dad just fighting to live. I'm still struggling with giving a shit about work and daily tasks while knowing what my dad is dealing with, as well as my mom taking care of him. Given Lee's circumstances in this movie, I can completely understand how somebody in his shoes would end up with his attitude toward everything.

The scene where he pulled the gun out of the officer's holster and just said "please" as he tried to kill himself after the fire hit me hard. I've read a lot of people who disliked Patrick or thought that he was a brat. I get where they are coming from as he actually seems to be a popular kid as opposed to the bookish loner that you might expect to see in this kind of movie. Knowing that his dad had heart problems probably helped him have less of a severe reaction than he would if his death occurrsed suddenly without warning. We're seeing very different types of mourning that both seem plausible and real to me.

I think this is the best movie I saw in 2016.

8. TedSchmosby

Trusted

What a fantastic movie. Casey Affleck is so good. He's managed to pass me for way too long. The only other thing I've seen him in is Gerry, which is also great, but before that I barely knew he existed

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

He is a very good actor. He's great in Gone Baby Gone and the Assassination of Jesse James and the Oceans movies.

10. Night Channels

Trusted

He didn't know how to deal with it.

The scene in the kitchen when he fell apart was very real. Reality hit him in that scene.

11. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Finally watched this yesterday. After hearing all praise for Afflecks performance I went in expecting one of those classic overacted "give me the oscar" type performances. Was absolutely delighted to see a performance so understated and lived in!

12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I've never hated a movie in my life as much I hate Gerry. I get mad even thinking about it. Watch The Assassination of Jesse James asap. It's incredible

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  13. Morrissey

Trusted

Gerry is a masterpiece. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is good for stretches but far too long and boring.

jawstheme likes this.
  14. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

he's so good in TAoJJ. instant fan after that.

I Am Mick likes this.
  15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I genuinely don't know, but calling Gerry a masterpiece while saying The Assasination of Jesse James is boring makes me think you're fucking with me.

Dinosaurs Dish, Connor and CarpetElf like this.
  16. Morrissey

Trusted

No. Gerry took months to get over. A truly moving film.

17. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Gerry peak Van Sant for you?

18. Morrissey

Trusted

I think so. Elephant is close though.

Aregala likes this.
  19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Last Days is my favorite Van Sant tbh. His Gerry-Elephant-Last Days run is impeccable.

coleslawed likes this.
  20. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I wrote a paper comparing Gerry and Elephant for university one year and it was one of the most satisfying papers I've ever written

21. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Watched this again today and like it even more now -- some incredible writting and acting in these amazingly subtle ways.

22. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Hope this wins tonight

23. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Affleck has got it

24. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious