Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonegan, November 18, 2016) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Night Channels

Trusted

I can't beat it, Patrick.

Devastating.

jkauf and chewbacca110 like this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

do you think Patrick forgot about what happened to his cousins because he was so young? I get that Lee was too traumatized to explicitly say "hey this place has terrible memories for me I cant stay here" but I was kinda surprised Patrick couldn't pick up on that

EngineDown likes this.
  3. Morrissey Dec 18, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 18, 2016)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Made by any other Hollywood director, Ben Affleck's brother would have moved back to town, gotten back with the girl from Dawson's Creek, and started coaching the kid's team.

4. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Such a great movie. Deserves all the praise it's getting.

5. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I think it was him just being a selfish teenager and not realizing the pain that his uncle went through/ was still going through.

6. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

Michelle Williams* (give her the credit she deserves!) :teethsmile:

7. Morrissey

Trusted

The fact that she was able to emerge from that garbage show is enough credit. Joshua Jackson was never treated fairly.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Van Der Beek is fantastic in Rules of Attraction

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

he was great on Don't Trust The B in Apt. 23

Kerrbs likes this.
  10. I still want a Mighty Ducks 4 where Joshua Jackson becomes the new coach

Garrett L. and coleslawed like this.
  11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

That idea was actually floated around Hollywood 10 years ago.

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I don't want yo life.

Sorry, had to do it.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  13. Whaaat

Clearly I have proven myself as a screenwriter

coleslawed likes this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

I was always less than appreciative of the way they wrote off so many ducks in the third film. It was a lot of "uh yeah their mom wouldn't let them play anymore".

15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I didn't know how much I needed this but I need it.
    introduced my gf to Might Ducks last week when we saw D2 was on Netflix but she hadn't seen any of them.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

chewbacca110 likes this.
  17. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Think I'm finally going to see this tonight. So pumped.

18. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

yuuuuuuuuuuuup this fucked me up hard. God. Deserves all the praise it's getting. God damn.

19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

As of just right this second, this and Arrival are jockeying for my favorite film of the year. Plus I still have so many I need to see though. I really do want to see this again, even though I know what kind of emotional investment that entails lol

20. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Didn't love this as much overall as I was hoping -- was especially turned off by some of the musical and editing choices -- but holy shit Michelle Williams.

21. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

FINALLY got to watch this earlier this evening. Lonergan is ridiculous, I know he was kind of forgotten about after all the weirdness with the Margaret release, and I'm sure he already pretty much could, but after this movie Dude should have carte blanche to do whatever he wants whenever he wants.

And of course the obligatory Michelle Williams and Casey Affleck absolutely killed it comments, but Kyle Chandler was perfect as well that guy is a legit screen gem.

Did anybody else notice the Polar Bear Club poster in the nephew's bedroom?

anonimito likes this.
  22. This was good. I don't think the tonal shifts worked for me as much as most in here, though. Might click with me better on a re-watch sometime down the line. Still, there were a couple scenes that really got me.

23. Dog with a Blog

Man. Not being familiar with Kenneth Lonergan and really having no real idea what this film was about, I had no idea what to expect but this pretty much blew me away. I can understand why someone might not like the tonal shifts, but to me it made the heavier moments all that more powerful, especially having lost my father somewhat recently. This probably gives me a biased opinion, but the ability for it to have me laughing my ass off and then the next scene have me on the verge of tears just felt incredibly true to me. I guess what I appreciated most about this movie is how restrained it felt. There were multiple times where it could have gone down some dumb cliche Hollywood road but it was just like....NOPE. I easily could have watched 15-20 more minutes.

24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Check out Margaret and You Can Count On Me. He's a master.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  25. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I, too, lost my dad recently. Hope you're doing alright. The first half of this film was absolutely gut-wrenching to watch from my perspective.

Bloodsucker II likes this.