Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonegan, November 18, 2016) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

^ The screenplay pdf is floating around online. Spectacular writing if you're interested in that kinda stuff

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

well this just fucked me right up

3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This was great and will undoubtedly be nominated for Oscars.

So much of this hit me hard because my dad passed this year. All the hospital stuff felt very, very real.

4. Rjones1325

What Manchester By the Sea accomplishes arguably more so than the large variety of films this year is the three-dimensional depth of character who is not one to completely root for. We had snippets of tragic characters in several films this year, but Kenneth Lonergan’s film perfectly mixes the joys and tragedy of life. The film switches back and forth of Lee'a past and present of his days of joy with his family before everything crashed down. The film sets flashbacks as numerous as the Rick and Morty episode Total Rickall. It may be in there a lot, but it is completely relevant to the story and Lee's character. We learn more and more about him as the film progresses. It is light-hearted and sweet to see the scenes of the past that when it comes back to present it's depressing as hell. Whatever smirk you had in the flashback, quickly diminishes faster than Cumberbatch’s Sherlock frown.

Casey Affleck hands down give the best performance I’ve seen this year. There are several films that had me shedding tears, but Affleck’s performance made me cry out a river. And honestly its 50% him hand 50% Lonergan’s screenplay that made the tear ducts come out 100%. Once it is revealed why he is so socially inept with everyone in his backstory you start to well up. Once it gets emotional, it hits so hard that it becomes a one-two punch to the gut. When you cry for Lee it isn’t when he’s crying or Michelle Williams is crying but when he’s just interacting with someone while being himself. By the end, you just want to hug the poor man.

Michelle Williams is not onscreen for a long duration of time, but when she is there she takes her wand from Oz and casts you a spell to cry. There is ONE scene (that you even see in the trailer) that makes your stomach churn and elevate your level of depression. It is that ONE scene that makes you think, “ladies and gentlemen your future Academy Award Winner for Best Supporting Actress, Michelle Williams.” She is that exceptional mainly for that ONE scene.

Full Review: http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//...the-sea-review

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Really, really powerful. And hilarious

6. Saw this last night without knowing anything about it. So real. So powerful. Gahhhh.

arewhyayein and dadbolt like this.
  7. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Seeing this today. S/o Quincy S/o Mike Mitchell

8. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Easily, easily the best movie I saw this year. Wow, I loved that.

arewhyayein likes this.
  9. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Good to know. Thanks

11. Morrissey

Trusted

Coming out on Friday. The year is starting to shape up nicely.

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Well I'm emotionally drained after that

dadbolt likes this.
  13. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

i saw it last sunday and im still a little fucked up over it

bradsonemanband likes this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Michelle Williams was incredible in this, coupled with Certain Women she had a small, stellar year.

17. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This was fantastic. It's obviously super depressing but also really funny. Affleck conveyed more emotion in the scene when he sees his brother's body then anything else I've seen in recent memory.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  18. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I don't care about awards and they don't speak anything to the quality of art but after the hell Margaret went through, I'm happy for Kenneth Lonergan's Golden Globe and likely Oscar nominations, the acclaim is deserved.

19. This was fantastic. Utterly gut-wrenching at times. Great performances.

TheWater(s) likes this.
  20. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I had no idea about the allegations and eventual settlement against Affleck.

21. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

22. Wow. News to me as well.

23. relientcasey

Regular

Saw this tonight, absolutely wrecked right now.

I had no idea of these cases either. Disgusting behavior and wish I had seen that before.

On a side note (and not at all to detract from the important story above), did anyone else notice the Polar Bear Club Battle Clash Guilt Pride poster in Patrick's room?

24. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

@relientcasey - was just gonna post about those, you beat me by 10 minutes hahaha

relientcasey likes this.
  25. relientcasey

Regular

I started freaking out when I saw it and my friend was so confused what was going on haha