Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonegan, November 18, 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 24, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Aug 24, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 24, 2016)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Starring Casey Affleck Michelle Williams Gretchen Mol Kara Hayward Lucas Hedges and Kyle Chandler

After the death of his older brother a man learns that he is now the legal guardian of his teenage nephew

2. Seems real oscar-baity but I may just see it!

I Am Mick likes this.
  3. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

I'm an absolute sucker for Casey Affleck he is definitely one of this generations underrated actors, so even accounting for that built in bias and all this looks great.

fenway89 and coleslawed like this.
  4. Morrissey

Trusted

This is basically the premise of Horsin' Around, but Lonergan has been so great so far that maybe.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and I Am Mick like this.
  5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is apparently phenomenal

6. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Nobody in Quincy will shutup about this movie because of that one line in the trailer.

Anyway, looks pretty great.

7. brandon_260 Sep 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 4, 2016)
    brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Very excited for this one. I haven't been completely wowed by Lonegan's work yet (though I saw Margaret before I had a grasp on cinema) but the word surrounding this is amazing.

8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Big fan of Casey Affleck, this looks good but that trailer is pretty much begging for Oscar nominations

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Word from most that have seen it is that the trailer is an awful representation of the film and I've even seen people warn against watching it.

10. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Margaret is one of my favorite films of all time, if this has similar depth and nuance I can't imagine how they'd market it, so making a generic, Oscar-y trailer is basically the way to go. Lonergan has earned my investment.

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is so devastating.

12. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

REALLY want to see this.

13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This is definitely one of the best films of the year.

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I'm not as big on it as others, but it was a solid depiction about quietly dealing with grief and the cast was pretty great.

15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I assume Kyle Chandler is hardly in this?

16. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

He's in most of the flashback scenes and they're spread around throughout the entire film. He's not in it for any long stretch of time at once but he is in it often.

anonimito likes this.
  17. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

This ruled and Casey Affleck is exceptional in it. It's like a sad love letter to northern Massachusetts so check and check for me there

18. Nathan

I'm wrecked. Lonergan is 2/2. Margaret is one of my favorite films of all time and this one hit me just as hard, though in the immediacy I think Margaret is on its own level. Still. Exceptional. Just hard to talk or think about.

19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

What about You Can Count On Me?

20. Nathan

Whoops, completely slipped my mind, haven't seen it.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

You Can Count on Me is something that has to be seen. Margaret is good, but You Can Count on Me is an important drama and one that shows the value of showing the interactions we have between "major" events and not the events themselves.

fenway89 likes this.
  22. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

can't wait to see this

23. arewhyayein

Regular Supporter

Well I went to see this tonight pretty much knowing nothing about it...
    Wowww. What a punch in the face.
    Great movie, would highly recommend.

24. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

This movie was great. Casey better win an oscar

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the dialogue in this felt so real and human which shouldn't be a big deal but it totally is