Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Malcolm & Marie (Sam Levinson, 20??) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Written & directed by Sam Levinson (Euphoria on HBO), starring Zendaya as Marie & John David Washington as Malcolm.

Apparently Zendaya called up Sam Levinson in March, when production on Euphoria season 2 shut down due to the pandemic, & asked if they could find a way to make a movie in the meantime. So, they did. Read the full story here.

Dunno when or how it's gonna be released, but thought the story of secretly & (seemingly) safely throwing a movie together during all this lockdown was interesting enough to for it to deserve a thread now.

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Tim likes this.
  3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

oh wow

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

oh my god

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Oh. That doesn’t sound promising.

8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I borderline hated this. JDW and Zendaya are great at times and others, just swinging for the fences when they don’t need to be. The cinematography is great and makes good use of the limited space.

The big problem is with the writing. This movie comes from a privileged white guy who’s the son of a big director, has a runaway hit HBO show and for some reason, is big mad that he got weak reviews for something. Zendaya’s character acts as a challenge to all of his complaints, but doesn’t feel like it lets the movie off the hook entirely (She also has a cringy monologue about how celebs don’t actually care about humanitarian or political causes because all celebs are are people that play dress-up for a living.)

The movie explores a few interesting avenues like how women that act as muses to men are treated. But so much of it is JDW complaining about critics not getting their art and the how black writers and directors are characterized by the media (I pray to god that the N-word in here was ad-libbed by JDW and not written by white-as-Hell Sam Levinson) that I just don’t see why Levinson decided that this needed to be made in secret during a pandemic. The hubris is astounding.

I feel bad for the Zendaya stans, who I assume are expecting a romance and instead and will tune in to see her listen to JDW complain about the LA Times for almost two hours.