Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Malazan Book of The Fallen Book Club (Book 2) Book • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

They’re probably huge files, right? Google Drive or Dropbox? My flash drive is super small or else I’d just mail it haha

2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

lol Gardens is just 3 massive mpeg tracks. Each of them is over 8 hours long and 300MB apiece. But yeah I can do it through Google Drive!

3. Garrett

I have Gardens, which i think I remember being the shortest :crylaugh:. If we only want to do one at a time while we’re reading, that’s fine with me and super appreciated.

4. theagentcoma

oh shit we're supposed to be done with this by tomorrow lol

5. theagentcoma

so did anyone actually finish?

here's an awesome picture of the resurrected Jaghut Tyrant Raest facing down Silanah and the other Soletaken!

Raest.jpg

nomemorial likes this.
  6. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

I finished last week! Loved it and ordered Deadhouse Gates last night. Glad to see that image as I feel like much of the story felt a bit more abstract by the ending and it was hard for me to picture exactly what was happening.

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. I fell really far behind on my reread (oops), but I'm excited to hear everyone's thoughts now that it's over and we can discuss spoiler free!

theagentcoma likes this.
  8. theagentcoma

I think that on my original read, I was a little thrown off by how easily Raest was defeated. The location of his barrow was this huge build-up through the entire story, and was the Adjunct/Empress' main reason for being in the Gadrobi Hills. His release and subsequent battle with the Soletaken was this huge thing, but once he took Mammot's body he went down rather easily, courtesy of the Azath House, which is a concept I did not grasp at all until many books later.

I like that we got to see how powerful Quick Ben is, as he is able to unleash seven Warrens simultaneously.

However, despite how I feel about Raest's downfall, the real showdown ended up being between Rake and the giant demon unleashed by the Adjunct. Laseen's whole plan revolved around weakening Rake so that he wouldn't be a threat to the Empire's presence in Darujhistan, but we see how that went. The whole scene with him veering into his Soletaken form is pretty awesome and add only adds to his badassery.

Now that I'm going through Deadhouse Gates for the second time, I will say this. Erikson's writing becomes far less action-driven. Gardens seems to grab you immediately and you're flying by the seat of your pants for the duration of the story, with action-filled scene after scene. He does away with that by the second book. That is not to say the pacing is slow and tedious. It becomes much more introspective and philosophical. That may not be some people's thing but I greatly appreciated it, as it gave me more time to reflect on the story and understand the characters on a deeper level.

9. nomemorial

I look forward to less action-oriented writing - I feel those are the moments the story felt the most difficult to follow for me, especially when scenes start flipping between characters and locales. The entire ending segment, as important as it was, lost a lot of weight for me because of how disorienting it felt.

10. nomemorial

Yo! When we getting a move on Deadhouse Gates??

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. theagentcoma

This is the enthusiasm I am here for! I'll post something later today. It will mostly be the same format unless anyone has any suggestions that would make the second book reading smoother.

Also if anyone wants the audiobook for book 2, PM me and I'll hook you up.

Garrett L. likes this.
  12. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I just finished book 5. Series has me seriously obsessed. Now I'm reading the first Esslemont book since thats in the publication order

theagentcoma likes this.
  13. theagentcoma

Oooooh Book 5 is one of my favs. A couple of the best characters in the series are in that one!

Vivatoto likes this.
  14. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I was split because I absolutely loved the Edur side of the story, Rhulad, Seren, Trull, Fear, Udinaas, all of that was fucking awesome but I didn't love the Lether side, mainly Bugg (at first, of course I liked him at the end) and Tehol, similar to how I felt about Darujhistan. Still good but I was way more excited to get back to the other half.

Also my favorite character of the whole series so far is Karsa Orlong who is fucking insane. And I love the Crippled God

15. theagentcoma

You guys ready for this?

81xAF-yaxaL.jpg

This is the cover I have lol

new thread or just update the title and OP? I'm thinking 100ish pages a week will still work, but if anyone wants to speed up/slow down the schedule, speak up.

nomemorial likes this.
  16. Garrett

I’m currently listening to a hard science sci fi book, but once I finish that, I’ll pick this up and listen through like I did last time.

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. nomemorial

I think same thread, new OP! And the same pace is perfect for me - just enough to get my fix while still having time to read other stuff.

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. theagentcoma

OP updated! We're going to start the 2nd book Deadhouse Gates next week! It will be the same format, Mondays to Sundays, around 100 pages per week. Our first reading next week includes the prologue and the first 2 chapters, which is 86 pages in my book. A little shorter than what we're used to, but I figured it'd be ok since it's a whole new book and will surely take some adjusting.

I will re-post the link to the Good Reads group, even though activity there is practically nonexistent:
    Malazan Book Club

And the all-important reread resource for those of us who are confused while reading:
    Malazan Reread of the Fallen | Series | Tor.com

Can't wait!!

19. theagentcoma

We start Deadhouse Gates tomorrow! The prologue and chapters 1-2 is the scheduled reading.

nomemorial likes this.
  20. theagentcoma

wow this book sucks too

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. Garrett

I’ll probably be starting it on Saturday

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. Garrett

I have started. Thanks again for the audiobook :)

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. theagentcoma

Yes! No problem!

Garrett L. likes this.
  24. tucah

not champ Prestigious

life got in the way but i'm really trying to finish up deadhouse gates this week, have about 200 pages left. i like it but despite the clear improvement in the prose, i'm not nearly as enthralled by the book as i was GotM - i don't find the area as interesting yet and there are few characters i find half as intriguing as quick ben or rake or whiskeyjack or tattersail (mappo, icarium and [LIGHT SPOILER] the handful of returning cast, and that's mostly because of previous attachment aside). i'm still enjoying it but i'm more looking forward to getting back to the group i grew fond of in GotM. who knows though! maybe the last 200 pages will blow my mind and i'll get just as attached to this half of the story! i hope so!

theagentcoma likes this.
  25. theagentcoma

Last 200 pages include one of the most memorable sequences in the entire series. It's what many point to as one of the most intense parts out of all ten books! I understand having a hard time with different characters/locations. It took me 3 tries to finish Deadhouse Gates lol. After that third time, I didn't stop until I finished the series.

I want to start talking about the first several chapters but I don't think everyone is caught up yet. Technically we're supposed to start week 2 of the book today but I'll post something tomorrow morning schedule-wise.

In the meantime, I'll post this picture. It's the priest of Hood made up of flies that comes running towards Felisin in the beginning of the book.

erikson03_a5_b.jpg

tucah likes this.