Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Malazan Book of The Fallen Book Club (Book 2) Book • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Those pictures are sweet. one of the first things I did was see if I could find a graphic novel in this universe, ha. At that point Tattersail is probably my favorite character. Everything with Hairlock probably the most interesting aspect.

My favorite character of the book is Rake who I believe has been mentioned by name at this point, but my reasons for liking said character come later.

theagentcoma, tucah and Nate_Johnson like this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Tattersail is also mine.

theagentcoma, tucah and Vivatoto like this.
  3. tucah

not champ Prestigious

+1 Tattersail

Vivatoto and theagentcoma like this.
  4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Fans of mages in here huh? I kinda like Hairlock as a puppet. It's such a ridiculous picture lol.

How did you guys feel about the Deck of Dragons? It went way over my head the first time I read the book. It becomes a major plot point in the series so it's good to kinda understand what it is and does.

Also Whiskeyjack is goddamn badass.

"Is this what's left of your squad, Sergeant? Two desert marauders and a blood-hungry recruit?"

Whiskeyjack's tone was flat: "I have seven left."

"This morning?"

"Fifteen."

Something's wrong here. Feeling a need to say something, she said, "Better than most." She cursed silently as the blood drained from the sergeant's face. "Still," she added, "I'm sure they were good men, the ones you lost."

"Good at dying," he said.

Vivatoto and confettirainfall like this.
  5. It makes my heart happy to see all the Tattersail love! Shes my favorite at this point too. As a girl, it’s always great to read badass, smart women in fantasy books.

I know he’s only there briefly, but I have to give a shout out to Toc the Younger because it’s gotta be nice for Paran to have someone be friendly towards him, instead of people like Topper and his sister, and, I don’t know, literally getting stabbed lol

I loved his little pep talk to Paran before he leaves:
    “Out of your depth, Captain? Don’t worry, every damn person here’s out of their depth... start with what’s right in front of you and forget the rest for now. It’ll show up in its own time.”

Good life lesson.
    (But now that I typed it, I’m thinking it can also be read super meta and it’s directed to the reader struggling to figure out these books hahah)

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  6. Vivatoto

Toc is a solid character.

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. Garrett

Non-book thing: I’m gonna get behind because depression is stupid and spikes any time I read right now. I’m enjoying the book and will catch up as soon as I can.

8. theagentcoma

There's an awful lot of shrugging in this book lol

9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Hope you're ok and you have people around you. It's always tough but I hope you know you're a valued person, even by someone who only knows you through a username on a screen.

10. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Finally finished Gardens. Enjoyed that a lot overall. It definitely frontloads a lot of world's backstory and lore in a way that makes it seem overwhelming so I understand the reputation but it was much more manageable than I thought it might be. Great cast of characters for the most part, though it felt like some of the smaller roles weren't quite as defined as they could have been, and an incredibly rich and fascinating world.

Now we reach spoiler territory ENTIRE BOOK Lots of little threads hanging that I assume set up things in books to come. Besides just general mystery around characters like Rake, Quick Ben, Tattersall, Toc...I could probably go on here for a while, I'm curious about the events mentioned towards the end of the book - the Seven Cities in revolt (going to guess this is the plot for Deadhouse Gates, knowing that it involves no one (almost no one?) from GotM and the Pannion Seer (which I will guess will be a major fixture in at least book 3 or whenever we meet back up with Whiskeyjack and crew).

Going to stat Deadhouse Gates tonight I think. I've heard so many people say that as good as GotM is, Erikson vastly improves with the second book so I'm very excited.

11. theagentcoma

Damn, you're in it for the long haul it seems. Finished up tonight too. I'm breaking all the rules of the club. Ah well, weekly readings are merely a suggestion.

tucah and Nate_Johnson like this.
  12. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Hah, yeah, wanna keep rolling with this while the lore is fresh in my head. I might pause at some point to knock out a Wheel of Time book, but for now I'm going full steam ahead.

Question: Where should I be slotting in the Esslemont books? In between certain novels (publication order)? Should I wait until I finish the main series?

13. theagentcoma

I've actually never read any of the Esslemont books :(

This page of the wiki has several suggested reading orders:

Suggested reading order

14. theagentcoma

Concerning the reading for week 3, I think that the novel is separated into manageable chunks by virtue of it being composed of several different "books." Book 3 "The Mission" is pages 237-326, which seems like a good schedule for week 3. Unless someone is opposed, I'll updated the OP with the week 3 reading later tonight.

15. Garrett

I finished book 2 today. So that works for me.

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

damn, killing it! Did you like it??

17. Garrett

To clarify, I meant within Gardens. And I thought it was an interesting writing choice to switch the group of characters (unless I really missed something). I’m enjoying the book—it’s not as dense as I feared at all. But I do find the writing stilted at times.

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. tucah

not champ Prestigious

About 150 pages into Deadhouse Gates and the talk of Erikson’s writing drastically improving between books was no joke.

Vivatoto and theagentcoma like this.
  19. Garrett

You can definitely tell this first book was a script before it was prose.

I’ll probably end up a couple books behind everyone. I can’t afford to buy any of the next ones for awhile. But hoping to finish this one by tomorrow evening. Last weekend’s depression episode was weird, but thankfully passed and gave back reading quite quickly (which is unusual).

theagentcoma likes this.
  20. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Man, this is so great.

Finished up this week's assignment and for a non-spoilery statement on everything I've read so far, I just really love the ambiguity of good and evil and wrong and right in this world. It brings it to life, in a way, the "greyness" of almost every character.

Kruppe is amusing -- definitely a goofy, almost Tolkien-ish character in my mind. A lot of things unfolding with the thieves and assassins of Darujhistan and I'm enjoying the political side of the world coming to the forefront a bit more.

Like others seem to have said, this book is not nearly as dense as I had prepared myself for and I'm actually forcing myself to stop reading at the end of each assignment (to get through the other books I'm in the middle of, haha.) It's a dense world, sure, but the book itself still reads in a relatively accessible way that makes it easy to keep moving forward at a solid pace.

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. theagentcoma

Kruppe is amazing! I think I was annoyed with him on my very first read through (which was like 7 years ago) but he's honestly one of the best characters. The audiobook narrator does a great job with him too lol.

oh and since Rake was introduced in last week's reading, I'll post a few pictures of him. He is one of the top 5 most badass characters in all of the Malazan world.

Rake.jpg

Rake 2.jpg

nomemorial likes this.
  22. Vivatoto

Rake is the best

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Ugh this thread is making me think crazy thoughts, like I could read both this and wheel of time at the same time. If all of you could just stop and wait for me to read 8 wheel of time books so I can participate that would be great thanks!

nomemorial, theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  24. theagentcoma

you have 5 days

nomemorial likes this.
  25. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Haha 8 wheel of time books in 5 days? No problem! No, enjoy your book club. Eventually when I read malazan I'll read through the thread and pretend I'm part of the discussion.

theagentcoma and nomemorial like this.