Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Malazan Book of The Fallen Book Club (Book 2) Book • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, Feb 24, 2018.

1. nomemorial Mar 8, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 19, 2018)
    nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Finished chapter 3 last night.

No kidding, what a cliffhanger! I'm really enjoying just how quickly things are ramping up and how close (in proximity) all the characters are. Fresh off the heels of a few fantasy novels where it feels like it takes FOREVER for ANY main characters to connect at all, it's interesting to see this approach.

There are so many threads being drawn from one place to another with many connecting in-between and it's become quite a bit to keep up with already, but having the character glossary has helped more than I ever anticipated. Part of me thought I'd never touch it, but I've been glancing back at it almost obsessively now.

Sorry might be my favorite character so far? Conceptually, at the very least, since we've seen very little of her. Just kind of cool and intimidating - I like the way that everyone is wary of her almost immediately, but Whiskeyjack seems to be a bit protective of her, though even then he doesn't seem too convincing (as the reactions he gets might imply.)

Right at the end of the third chapter, when Paran gets stabbed (which floored me, like, what??), I was intrigued by the seemingly ethereal sequence of him being spoken to by who I assume to be Sorry or someone related? At least how I was reading it. Was it all in his mind or was he like spiritually transported somewhere? The writing in this book does make certain events seem a bit vague in terms of physical location, so it confused me and intrigued me. Will be blazing through the next few chapters this weekend (hopefully sooner, if the chance presents itself.)

theagentcoma likes this.
  2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Here's a cool scene from the Prologue.

Paran y whiskeyjack.jpg

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  3. theagentcoma

How's everyone doing? Should we stick to the 3 chapter per week thing? Obviously they vary in length.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  4. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Just finished chapter 9 right now, will probably try and carve out another good chunk this weekend.

CH9 My favorite chapter so far, and Lorn's tale of her past interaction with Tattersail, and the subsequent shut down of her revenge once she is reminded of what her role as Adjunct entails, is perhaps my favorite section of the book. I'm really getting a great feel for all of these characters and I'm very impressed with how many characters I already care about only a few hundred pages in. The crew in Darujhistan grew on me very quickly and I'm pretty excited to see how the groups of characters start to weave in closer together as the novel progresses.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. confettirainfall Mar 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 9, 2018)
    Ooo I love this. He’s all:
    “The best life is the one the gods don’t notice. You want to live free, boy, live quietly.”
    Just finished chapter three. Not a spoiler, but after reading some other books then coming back to this series, I have a huge newfound appreciation of how Erikson approaches dialogue. I love how many things are left unsaid, how a single line or brief exchange can hold so much meaning. He’s great at making you care about a character after only knowing them for a page or two.

Also, always a sucker for when fantasy books/video games have their own world unique curses. “Hood’s breath” is awesome

tucah, theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  6. Oh and chap. 3 that scene with Bellurdan and Tattersail .. when you realize what’s in that sack. So brutal.

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

150 pages into Deadhouse Gates and I already like it a lot more than the first book, which I still loved but it's getting so much better. Also I finally printed out a world map...I didn't want to look at one until the books presented one (maybe sometimes spoilery), but I gave in, and it's just insane how big this world is.

theagentcoma likes this.
  8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I got to the end of chapter three on my drive to a bachelor party so I’ll probably be able to start up the next batch on the drive home.

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. tucah

not champ Prestigious

CHAPTER 10: TATTERSAIL NO! I guess she Hairlock'd herself into Nightchill's bones? At least I hope she did :(

Garrett L. and theagentcoma like this.
  10. theagentcoma

Yeah coming back to the first book after reading others in this series makes you appreciate it so much more.

Dang you're on a roll! And yes, the world is MASSIVE.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  11. theagentcoma

Gonna post some pics in the next post, these will only be spoilers if you haven't read Chapter 2

12. theagentcoma

SPOILERS FROM CHAPTER 2

Siege of Pale take 1
    Pale 2.jpg

Siege of Pale take 2
    Pale.png

Siege of Pale take 3
    Pale 3.jpg

They're are great but I think 3 is my favorite!

13. that first pic of Moons Spawn is EPIC.

guys I just finished House of Chains and I’m sitting here overwhelmed with emotions and amazement and I don’t wanna overexaggerate but like..I’m ready to say this is the best fantasy series I’ve ever read

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. theagentcoma

Yesssssss. It took me a little longer than that to crown it as such (since Book 4 is a little different in its approach).

But Book 5. Oh man. That was it for me.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  15. haha that’s funny cause book 5 seems like it’s going to be even more of an outlier, and I was wondering if it’d be as good. so is very reassuring to hear!
    So far book 3 has been my personal fav

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

Book 3 remained my personal fav even after the whole series! That will probably change during this reread.

Anyways sorry everyone for going on and on about the latter books lol

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  17. theagentcoma

Since tomorrow is the last day of the week 1 reading, I'm gonna post another cool pic (chapter 2 spoilers)

This is Quick Ben, Kalam, and Whiskeyjack standing over an unfortunate Hairlock, with Sorry in the background.

Mages.png

18. I read up to chap 3 in the “Reread of the Fallen” TOR thing, very handy resource.

I like how they mention to pay attention to the excerpts like all the poems and such before the chapters. Im guilty of normally skimming that stuff, but I read them closely this time and wow, there’s a lot of good info hidden in those.

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Chapter 13 (no actual spoilers in this post but I do mention a character so just to be safe): This is where I'm finally really absorbed in the actual plot instead of just loving the characters and finding the world fascinating, definitely going to power through the third or whatever I have left in the next day or two. Quick Ben has also become the most intriguing character in the series, he is very easily my favorite so far.

theagentcoma likes this.
  20. theagentcoma

It DEFINITELY helps to read all of the little poems/excerpts. They're really easy to skip over since they can be so vague and refer to stuff that the reader might be clueless about up to that point, but many times they reveal what is about to happen from a historical point of view.

21. theagentcoma

Week 2 starts tomorrow. I know many of us have gone beyond the weekly reading schedule, but would another 3 chapters be good? Chapters 4-6 are pages 118-206 in my book. It's worth noting that each novel in the series is separated into different "books" and "Book 2" occurs between chapters 4 and 5 in this novel. Or we could include chapter 7, which goes until page 236, and concludes the second "book."

I'm mostly trying to keep up a schedule for people in the Goodreads group since many of them are from my friends list on Facebook. Any feedback?

22. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Conclude the second book imo

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I would personally suggest until Book 2/Chapter 7, it’s about equal to the page count from Week 1 and it provides a much cleaner stopping point.

I’m also much further than that obviously so don’t know if I really get a say, hah.

24. theagentcoma

Cool, chapters 4-7 sounds great. Updated the OP.

25. theagentcoma

Week 2! Anyone have any favorite characters/sequences from the first weekly reading? Did we lose anyone already? Casualties are inevitable.