Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Malazan Book of The Fallen Book Club (Book 2) Book • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, Feb 24, 2018.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

here's the link: Malazan Book Club

DO BOTH

dammit we haven't even started yet! /s

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. hahah I’ll do both. Joined the goodreads one too. Im read for full and complete Malazan immersion.

My friend back home and I always pick fantasy books to read and discuss together .. She wants to try the series again and join the goodreads group too if that’s cool?

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. theagentcoma

yes yes and yes, the more the merrier!

4. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Two chapters in - digging it very much.

Also how do I join this group??? I don't know the answer.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

I really wanna do this but I'm still only a few hundred pages into Oathbringer. I just haven't had the time to read

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. theagentcoma

hahaha you don't have to know the answer, it's just a dumb option they had. unless I missed something...

request to join and I'll add you!

nomemorial likes this.
  7. theagentcoma

also sounds like some of you jerks have already started /s

I'll go ahead and go with the earlier suggestion of reading the first 3 chapters, which is to about page 118 depending on your copy. Obviously people are going to have their own pace but for the sake of spoilers, we'll try to abide by the weekly page count for discussion (unless everyone just flies through it uninhibited lol). I'll update the OP.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I’ll stick to the suggested pace for at least the first week because my dumbass started The Hero of Ages yesterday and it’s my listening priority this week.

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. GBlades

Trusted

Yes!! Personally, it turned into a slow read towards the end then BAM! I got Sanderson'd and could. not. stop.

theagentcoma likes this.
  10. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Since getting most of his works on Audible, I’ve finished anything under 30 hours in 3 days or less so I rarely have a problem powering through his. He’s so damn great it almost makes me mad

Kvothe and theagentcoma like this.
  11. Nate_Johnson Mar 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 4, 2018)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This starts tomorrow? If so, I’m totally in!

Edit: Set up my Goodreads account and just need to get access to the group.

I’ll have the book ready to go by tomorrow!

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.

12. “Sanderson’d” hahah I know that feeling.
    Hero of Ages is my favorite of the trilogy I’m so excited for you !
    I just finished Warbreaker it was also good (of course)

Kvothe and Nate_Johnson like this.
  13. theagentcoma

Yes, welcome!!

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  14. GBlades

Trusted

Excited for this to start! First 3 chapters, here I come.

theagentcoma and Nate_Johnson like this.
  15. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Just requested - thanks!!

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

nomemorial likes this.
  17. GBlades

Trusted

Requested to join the Goodreads group! Inactive GR is now active once again.

18. theagentcoma

Wow we have 12 members! I was fully intent on having just the 3-4 from my Facebook friends list. This is super cool.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  19. theagentcoma

hey guys I wanted to plug another cool thread, the Chorus Music Club Society. @JediMasterKevo182 runs it and I've only been in it for a month or so but it's one of the most wholesome places on the site. You are matched up with another user and you each recommend an album or two to them and they do the same for you. You then review their recs and vice versa. It's pretty awesome! Through that thread I listened to my first Blink-128 album and witnessed someone listen to Metallica for the first time. I've had a ton of fun over there. You should join!

The Chorus Music Club Society

20. theagentcoma

Also since we're finishing starting when the clock strikes midnight tonight, I would like to reiterate the usefulness of the Malazan Reread. They go over every single chapter and there's tons of good discussion to be had. It seriously helped me appreciate the series so much more, although it's definitely not necessary to read it. I'll post the link in the OP.

21. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Also before everyone starts posting impressions, etc., it's probably a good idea to set a spoiler baseline - I'd suggest tagging spoilers based on chapter number, with the chapters covered in the previous week fair game for unmarked conversation (so we tag everything this week, starting the 12th anything up to chapter 3 can be unmarked)?

22. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Your welcome! Lol!

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Just a few tips that have helped me so far. No spoilers.

The character list isn’t going to mean much to you until you are about 50 pages or so in so don’t worry about that too much, but as soon as you’ve run into a character multiple times you should use it a lot. Same with the glossary at the end, I have used that a lot and so far it has had every single answer I’ve felt I needed.

This might be obvious and I might be dumb but the first map in the book is not anywhere close to a world map,it actually seems comparatively small to the rest of the world. There’s a lot of stuff early on that’s off map.

And again this might be obvious but it really threw me for a loop. Different societies use different calendars so if it looks like a drastically different date it might just be a different calendar.

Honestly shouldn’t be too bad for anyone familiar with fantasy. Thus far there aren’t too many povs to keep track of and the characters are really well done as easy to grasp. If you’ve read ASOIAF I really don’t think it’s any more complicated to dive into the world. It does throw you right in but you eventually get the exposition needed, just be patient.

tucah, Nate_Johnson and theagentcoma like this.
  24. theagentcoma

I like this idea. Just indicate the scope of spoilers before you post, like "Spoilers up to Chapter 2" or something equally easy to understand. And yeah everything is fair game after the 12th.

I expect many casualties.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  25. GBlades

Trusted

All good ideas. Maybe update the OP with the set baselines for any newcomers/people who forget. Enjoy the start, both new and old readers. Wish I could forget it all and start again but will be fun. I'm gonna go in with a fresh mind and try and forget everything I knew and hopefully experience it all again.

theagentcoma likes this.