Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Malazan Book of The Fallen Book Club (Book 2) Book • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I think this is the next book I'll be starting so I might be starting a few days early, and will probably read it all in a week, but I'm here for the discussion. If I feel like posting a lot I'll spoil tag with page numbers or whatever, you know the drill.

theagentcoma and Garrett L. like this.
  2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I like your enthusiasm!

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Tbh if I get engrossed enough in the audiobook i’ll power through as well. I’ve got a ton of driving coming up.

theagentcoma likes this.
  4. tucah

not champ Prestigious

it is highly likely i will also almost certainly not hold myself to 100 pages a week.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. theagentcoma

well then maybe we should change it to 900 PAGES A WEEK?

or something less. I have what I believe is the 1st edition (with the terrible cover) and it is 657 pages long. From what I remember, chapter lengths in this series vary wildly. I remember a few of them being brief early on, and then some of them push like 50 pages later. Is a page count too restrictive do you think?

6. tucah

not champ Prestigious

no, i think the page count makes sense. not everybody is going to want to marathon it, or will have time for more than 100 pages or so a week, so keeping it to something around there to keep this book club friendly to all sorts of readers is necessary imo. we can see if we want to alter the rules based on who stays active in this thread but to start i think the first week should be ~100 pages or wherever the easiest cutoff point around that number is.

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  7. Vivatoto

I agree with tucah, we can use spoiler tags for anything over the 100 pages, and maybe try to focus the discussion more on that section (though I know I'll still want to post my awe when crazy shit happens, of course spoiler tagged). I mean just judging from the Brandon Sanderson thread at least 3 of us will probably finish it in a week, lol.

theagentcoma, Garrett L. and tucah like this.
  8. Garrett

May be better to do chapter than page number. I’m (the only one?) doing audio so I’ll have no clue what is where.

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. Garrett

Man, all five of us slugging through Oathbringer was great. That thing was a behemoth.

theagentcoma and Vivatoto like this.
  10. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Yep, we definitely need to figure it out by chapter to sync digital/audio/print. Oathbringer (and Sanderson in general) was a ton of fun to mostly simultaneously go through, he's always good for some HOLY SHIT I NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS NOW moments and boy did he deliver on that front with Oathbringer.

theagentcoma, Vivatoto and Garrett L. like this.
  11. Garrett

I’m real scared I’m gonna fall in Love hard with this series and not have enough Audible credits to keep going as fast as I want.

theagentcoma and tucah like this.
  12. tucah

not champ Prestigious

i had a lot of amazon credit so i dropped $80 for the full series on kindle, i'm set

theagentcoma and Garrett L. like this.
  13. Garrett

I’ve got four credits (but one of those is going to Hero of Ages) until June. Then I get another 12.

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. GBlades

Trusted

Update once we know the pace. Can be a slow read sometimes depending on travel etc

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. tried to do these by audiobook but it was hard to keep all the names/cultures/people straight. And a TON of “whoa holy shit I have to flip back and reread this part now that I know this one thing” moments, and referring to the maps and glossaries.

In my book addition, chapter 3 starts p86 and chapter 4 starts p118. Either of those checkpoints sound doable for the first round?

It’s this version btw, if anyone has the same. It’s quite beat up cause I read/reference/love it so much haha

057930A2-006A-4DEC-8C9F-D88BD38E42DA.jpeg

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

the condition, it's beautiful. My version has the same pages for those chapters. I say let's go to page 118 and read the first 3 chapters, but I'm a fanboy.

Also I'm fully prepared for someone in this thread to hate it.

Also also I have like 5 people from Facebook who are doing it too. I don't really know what to do with them, maybe I'll start a little Facebook group lol

here's my funny little version

IMG_20180228_173526938.jpg

confettirainfall likes this.
  17. Vivatoto

@theagentcoma you could also create a Goodreads group. I've still got one going from when we tried to make a book club out of Blood Meridian, ha.

18. Vivatoto

I'm such a sucker for maps and these look to deliver (haven't started, just peaked)

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. theagentcoma

oh it gets so much better

dammit the 5th needs to get here! good thing February is a short month.

20. theagentcoma

finished Sabriel. Got the Goodreads group up and running for the non-chorus members. It's about to be open season!

21. Garrett

Post the link here so we all can join? I know most of us are already friends on there.

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I use Goodreads far less than I should.

23. ahh goodreads. Another wonderful website I use daily but never use socially lol

I’m so torn. I’m mid series...and I want to stop to read along for the first time with everyone .. but I also can’t put the fourth book down because it’s so good it’s taking over my life.

theagentcoma likes this.
  24. Vivatoto

(250 pages in...This is dope as hell)

25. Garrett

Chorus.FM: We suck at book clubs. But at least we’re reading!

:crylaugh: