Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Major Climate Report Describes a Strong Risk of Crisis as Early as 2040

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

A landmark report from the United Nations’ scientific panel on climate change paints a far more dire picture of the immediate consequences of climate change than previously thought and says that avoiding the damage requires transforming the world economy at a speed and scale that has “no documented historic precedent.”

The report, issued on Monday by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group of scientists convened by the United Nations to guide world leaders, describes a world of worsening food shortages and wildfires, and a mass die-off of coral reefs as soon as 2040 — a period well within the lifetime of much of the global population.

2. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

Bad.

3. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Very very bad.

4. Dead_Presley

And trump will say “fake news...lets do more coal plants and close down wind farms!”

5. defmytones

Regular

And yet the majority of the world will do little to nothing in regards to slowing this impact down. Christ.

Random, but has anyone seen the (decent) movie Elysium with Matt Damon? The scenes depicted on Earth eerily scare me for what is to come of this planet for some odd reason.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  6. nemotheemofish

#govegan

7. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Yep, this is definitely the darkest timeline.

8. brothemighty

Trusted

Vote. It might be a formality at this point in terms of the sustainability of our species, but might as well throw up the finger at the shortsighted, savage stupidity of humans in power as they take all of us out with them.

I wish that was a better-executed movie, because the premise is exactly what's going to happen. Short of an orbital space colony, I mean. Rich people might live underground or some shit.

9. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Fuck this. If this isn’t enough motivation to vote, I don’t know what is.

red8ge likes this.
  10. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

inagreendase likes this.
  11. DearCory

Regular

"I'm just going to say a prayer, and God will help us."

....bitch this is God saying. "change your ways!"

12. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

13. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Lampshades on fire when the lights go out! This is what I really call a party now!

Mary V and jorbjorb like this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I'm not sure we deserve another planet if we literally destroy this one by torturing and killing countless living creatures for no other reason than glutony ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. jorbjorb

7 rings

rooting for these guys

16. Iamhollywood315

Regular

We need to vote all these republican shit stains out and anyone else that thinks climate change is a hoax

17. zachmacD

Trusted

I'm not super informed on how environmental issues were brought to the mainstreams besides the movie an inconvenient truth. I grew up in a very conservative household and my parents didn't believe a word of that movie solely because Al Gore was a part of it. Obviously I'm happy that movie was made but I can't help but wonder what the result would've been if someone independent or someone who isn't known for being political presented it.

If anyone is knowledgeable about this topic and wants to discuss this respectfully, I'm very interested. Specifically, has there been any talk or studies done about how democrats being for protecting the environment caused republicans to not believe in it. Not that I agree with them, but I can understand why republicans feel they way they do about different social issues but the lack of believing in climate change just baffles me

18. rxbandit89

I can see where you're coming from about An Inconvenient Truth. It seems like a fair argument to make that partisanship has guided determinations of whether something is true or false.

That being said, I'm not sure that an "independent" or "non-partisan" messenger would be considered as such, at least in 2018. If the audience already considers a certain position to be a liberal or conservative one, they will just assume the messenger is a liberal or a conservative.

What is it that you want to discuss?

Raku and zachmacD like this.
  19. zachmacD Oct 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 10, 2018)
    zachmacD

Trusted

I agree 100% that in 2018, environmental issues are labeled as liberal but what about in 2008? Do we think it would’ve been received different back then or was this already a liberal idea. I was only 17 then and very uninformed/brain washed being raised in an evangelical home (my parents believe in the rapture to the point that I thought I wasn’t going to get to go to warped tour because the world was ending...I’m not kidding). I guess it doesn’t matter but I guess my question is what’s being done to try and change the minds of conservatives? Obviously presenting the facts isn't working I see how cruel both sides are on social media and I just feel like nothing is going to get done this way.

I went to toastmasters the other night and if I remember correctly, one of the presenters said 19 billion gallons of plastic go in to the ocean every day or a trash truck worth every minute. Like holy fuck, this is just insane.

20. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Raku likes this.
  21. rxbandit89

As someone who grew up in a conservative household with what sounds like a loose relationship with the sciences, I'd like to hear what you think can be done to try to change the minds of conservatives?

zachmacD likes this.
  22. dlemert

Trusted

As someone else who grew up in a conservative religious home, I will reiterate that one of the main reasons conservatives don't want to believe in climate change is because it's become merely a partisan issue in their minds and so it's automatically associated with liberal ideology.

The other reason, which is way more inexplicable, is that because God created the world then he is also the only one with the power/authority to destroy it. Therefore, we humans simply don't have the means to destroy the earth even if we wanted to. It's selfishness and an affront to God to even consider that humans have the agency to destroy the earth on their own.

zachmacD likes this.
  23. zachmacD

Trusted

I think also a lot of Christians think they are either going to die or get raptured first so it's not their problem

24. rxbandit89

So what can I/we do to change their minds?

zachmacD likes this.
  25. zachmacD

Trusted

Honestly? I think this goes for just mending the relationship between conservatives and liberals in general but I think we need to be nicer to each other and be respectful of other peoples views. I think at least that's a start. These people aren't trolling, they really believe these things. I know it's hard and Trump definitely doesn't deserve our respect but constantly making fun of him, calling republicans idiots, pointing out Trumps bad behavior, etc just doesn't work in my opinion unless the person is already on the fence. Especially when he's claiming it's fake news.

I'll use this as an example: I was dating this girl and everyone told me it was a mistake, she was doing things behind my back, lying, etc and I just couldn't accept it. I was too invested and my ego couldn't take being wrong about her. It wasn't until I came to that decision on my own that I was able to see through the bs. I was thankful afterwards that they tried to warn me but I wasted months of my life. I can tell you that the friends calling me an idiot didn't help. They came off jealous and not like they were telling me for my own good. If someone would've been nicer about it and said "hey man, I really care about you and want you to be happy but this girl is not good for you", I might've been more open. The same goes for political issues. Like conservatives think liberals are mad because they don't agree wit them. Also, no one wants to admit that they are wrong.

I also think more people need to get our there and actually volunteer or hand out flyers instead of writing articles or protesting. I've never protested but I volunteered countless times last year in different capacity's. Like honestly, how many people even in this thread have volunteered for a cause that they believe in? I ask people from my team at work to volunteer and NOBODY does it. Everyone has an opinion but no one wants to do anything. I work at one of the biggest finance companies in the world so it's not like these people don't have the means to help.

I appreciate the responses and enjoy the conversation. I do not mean to sound hostile at all so i hope it doesn't come off that way

Raku likes this.