Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Magic the Gathering • Page 58

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

@Shrek i moved the convo here so it’s more on topic haha

theagentcoma and Shrek like this.
  2. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

dudeeee thanks so much! i will jump on this literally rn. i have had no idea where to start haha. so much new lingo and shorthand ive gotta learn, too. the subreddit is in a different language basically as far as im concerned.

when you say standard event, do you mean the "Traditional Standard Event" that i see when i switch to "All Play Modes"? im so fucking confused by the menus in this lol

theagentcoma and zigbigwig like this.
  3. zigbigwig

i played arena since beta and has been on and off since then, so I've been playing for a while now. f2p route for a while, and then spent maybe a total of 70-80USD on the game.

Standard Event is best of 1, lower entry price but lower rewards
    Traditional Standard Event is best of 3 with sideboard after every match, higher entry price better rewards

and yeah the arena UI is a mess, i also have trouble finding my way around the different play modes. once you get better at the game i also recommend spending crystals (or 5000 gold) to do drafts. my only concern doing that early is you really have to be familiar with the sets, so if you're still getting set up i suggest do that later. but it's really fun and that was my main way of getting booster packs (back when i was more active). i never bought packs using gold.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Uh oh we got another one /s

zigbigwig likes this.
  5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This thing is busted

6. zigbigwig

i guess technically it replaces itself if you mutate it

7. zigbigwig

i'm trying to figure out how to make that curve well in constructed. we already have Risen Reef and that one is ETB. simic doesn't really look like it's hurting for card draw/filtering with Uro, Cavalier, Nissa and Krasis.

in limited that is extremely powerful

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm really loving Rakdos sac right now. So many games ended by abusing Mayhem Devil. Lots of rage quitting. I'm surprised more people aren't playing it. Everyone seems to be running planeswalkers or RDW right now.

edit: I guess this is just on Arena. Looks like it makes up 10% of the meta rn lol

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. Shrek

so im more or less totally new to the game, functionally speaking. much like Pokémon, MtG has been frequently a big part of my pastime but only in a very shallow capacity. a lot of kitchen table and little else. ive done cubes and drafts and commander etc but never with any real set restrictions etc. and even then, i haven't played since Kaladesh - i moved around then and my binder of rares was definitely stolen by my exroommate which really killed my drive to play.

getting into Arena has been a joy and also has absolutely overclocked my blood pressure. i haven't seen literally almost any cards in the game given where i dropped off so it feels like anyone could throw any curveball at any moment, even in Limited, and my ass is always on edge.

did a traditional draft and got creamed 0-2, only picking up a single winning round outta both sets. now started my first ranked draft and am faring much better, hit 2-0 before deciding i needed to do something else for the night. in that im running a white/blue that is built around enchantments and token spam, with Commanding Presence and Nadir Kraken really doing heavy lifting.

so much fun tho

10. zigbigwig

glad you’re enjoying it. and sucks about your cards getting stolen.

so i need to draft THB for some cards but I’m just not in the mood recently

i don’t have a lot of THB cards which i hate. and my collection between physical and arena is so different that sometimes i try to build a deck on arena only to find out i only own the cards on paper lol (looking at you Lovestruck Beast and Temples).

Shrek likes this.
  11. zigbigwig

btw i tried adding you an arena but it just said invalid display name or something

12. Shrek

this exact issue arose when my irl buddy tried to add me and we wound up having to use emails. whats your username ill try yours

13. zigbigwig

zigbigwig lol

14. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

Arena has been giving me so many issues lately. Granted I’m running it on bootcamp on my iMac but still.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Happy release day.

[​IMG]

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. Shrek

went 4 wins on my first premier draft in Arena yesterday. mutated the shit outta Snapdax for a couple of them. feels like this set was built for wild drafts.

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Don't forget, you can use the code PLAYIKORIA for three free packs

18. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

I haven’t paid for a premiere draft yet and I’ve done 8

19. zigbigwig

what’s premier draft?

ive been so out of the loop with ikoria i didnt know it’s already out

20. Shrek

new draft mode in Arena that more closely simulates paper draft. 8 players actually all pick from the same set of packs. after that you play whoever else queues up in the premier draft mode, not necessarily players from your group.

rewards are better than bot draft and its more expensive, 10,000 gold or idk how many gems. draft tokens are usable on it and everyone gets a freebie one.

21. Shrek

not the craziest mode to go undefeated on, but this felt so fucking good

standard.png

22. zigbigwig

this deck is wiiild

Shrek likes this.
  23. zigbigwig

theagentcoma likes this.