Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Magic the Gathering • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

I just put the pummeler deck together on modo. Gonna try it out soon. Excited to see how it does.

theagentcoma likes this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it just feels so powerful, though that was pre pro tour

3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

PT was awesome, there were like 7 different decks/nationalities in the Top 8. Control is alive and well.

But yeah seconding everyone else, I am for sure throwing that Pummeler deck together because it looks like a blast.

4. cwhit

Standard infect pretty much

5. cwhit

whoa, they changed rotation schedules. nothing rotates out with amonkhet now. so rotation every year, 5 to 8 sets at a time (3 to 4 blocks)

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

So this is a "we messed up" situation?

7. cwhit

not necessarily: they changed rotation when the two set per block shift happened so there was a rotation every time a new block came out, which is how the old system was, but because of blocks shifting quicker it just happened too quickly. more of an adjustment after a trial period, rather than a "we messed up". still doing two sets per block but it's an every other block rotation where two move out

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Makes sense. I always thought it was weird how it worked out when they went to the the two-set blocks.

I really like the idea of the next block. It almost makes it okay that we are never going back to Kamigawa.

9. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Wow, rotation change? That actually makes me a lot less hesitant getting back into standard. Spent a good bit last night getting some of the stuff I need for Grixis (don't want to match Shota's build after his comments that were pointed out, but I'd still like to work in that color scheme and I love the idea of a good control deck in standard) and was feeling kinda bad about spending a decent bit on a non-eternal format, but this news excites me a lot more for current standard/the upcoming sets.

Where's this Pummeler list everyone is talking about? I'd like to check it out - I play Infect in modern, so the idea of that in standard sounds really fun.

10. theagentcoma

Here are a couple lists:

R/G Pummeler Deck Analysis by Craig Wescoe - Magic the Gathering (MTG)

Budget Magic: $88 (36 tix) Standard Poisonless Infect

Agree with everyone on the rotation change. It wasn't friendly to newer players and it was a turn off to regulars.

nomemorial likes this.
  11. cwhit

most interesting part of the rotation change is that BFZ/Oath cards aren't rotating out for another long while now. curious to see how the economy changes with that
    gideon remaining a big part of standard for a while. also curious what lands are going to be in the amonkhet block, since they didn't plan for the colorless eldrazi to be part of it, wonder if there's any extra interactions they didn't plan for coming up

12. theagentcoma

Bring back Gods and the devotion mechanic in Amonkhet

Also call the ultra rare cards "Relics"

Also also tribal mummies

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This is fucking dope.

zigbigwig, Luroda and theagentcoma like this.
  14. nomemorial

Got to my LGS a few times this weekend, Friday for FNM, Saturday for Commander.

Ended up running Grixis Control for Standard, a few modifications from Shota's PT list. TiTi in the side with two copies of Kalitas in the MB. Only have one Torrential Gearhulk, so running one Sphinx of the Final Word in place of the other and the card did some good work -- great finisher, but I'll probably move it to the side after getting the other Gearhulk for purposes of the deck. We'll see. Didn't end up staying the whole time, but won my first game against what I guess you'd call Abzan Aggro and lost my second against GB Delirium, but for my first games on the deck I felt pretty good.

Picked up the Atraxa Commander deck and this thing is absolutely ridiculous right out of the box. Hands down the best stock Commander deck I've ever played (and I'm hearing claims of the same for most of the decks from this set). So many fun interactions. Me and a friend were both running Atraxa in a three man game just to test the deck out and we were both doing math on counters the whole time. I had what felt like infinite mana by turn four, hahaha. Still lost, but to the other Atraxa who got totally out of hand -- I think he swung with a 34/34 flyer to finish me off? Just insane.

15. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

Got a season job with the weekends off - my friend said I could borrow U/W Flash but I think it's a bad idea to rely on him, especially bc he's very fickle about his choice of deck. Think I'm going to play this 'Mono White' Humans list -it plays Concealed Courtyard for Scrapheap Scrounger and some lists play Shambling Vent as well. Tom Ross's list on SCG Premium doesn't play them so I think I'll pass on them for now.

16. cwhit

standard is so fucking boring right now, hahaha. as it has been generally for the last few blocks, this one seems just more boring in particular.

17. theagentcoma

maybe that's why I haven't played since Kaladesh Game Day. I built GR Pummeler and haven't touched it since

wordzanddreamz likes this.
  18. nomemorial

I am also pretty bummed with standard considering how stoked I was for it at the start of this set. Built a deck I was psyched on and only played a handful of times. Commander is the only thing that gets me excited any more.

19. theagentcoma

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

There are two Ajani's and two Tezzeret's. lol

21. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

Fatal Push. The push that has been missing. Need to get at least two sets of those.

22. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Really strong cards in this set.

Blue has Disallow

23. cwhit

this set is insane so far, even the uncommons are ridiculous
    power creep is real

24. nomemorial

AER is looking very, very strong. Telling myself I'm not buying a box and getting burnt again, though. I just don't play enough to warrant the purchase any more, so I'll wait and grab singles when it seems to make sense. I just want the formats shaken up somehow. Standard is bland, Modern needs something...more, and Legacy is well outside of my budget to be competitive at all.

25. theagentcoma

Dammit, wrong time to sell my standard deck and start playing another CCG. Set looks awesome.