Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Magic the Gathering • Page 43

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

do you think mono blue can come back as an instant-speed/flash deck? im very very interested in playing a deck like that

2. theagentcoma Jul 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 12, 2019)
    theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Look no further:

Simic Flash Deck for Magic: the Gathering

It's a Simic Flash deck that has been showing up online in the past week or so. It plays everything on the opponent's turn. Nightpack Ambusher, Frilled Mystic, Spectral Sailor, Brinehorn Cutthroat, etc. It's very frustrating to play against lol. I think Simic is in a good place right now, it's a color pair that gained a lot with M20 and little Teferi isn't as prominent.

But yes, mono blue is also very doable in this new meta. It was the first deck I made on Arena and here's the list I'm running now. It drops the Pteramander and all the sorcery speed stuff and adds the pair of aforementioned blue flash creatures:

Mono-Blue Tempo by Oscar_Franco Deck

zigbigwig likes this.
  3. zigbigwig

what happened to lil teferi?

that simic list looks so good im tempted to buy it since everything is on sale rn. i was only planning to upgrade my mono white but man i am all in on that simic flash deck. i think i have a lot of the cards on that list

4. zigbigwig

i regret not buying a stormtamer set so badly. there was a time i could’ve bought it for 2usd and for some reason didn’t

5. theagentcoma

yeah I'm thinking of building the simic deck too. From what I can tell (and this is just on Arena, not in paper magic) little Teferi isn't as prominent right now. He'll definitely be back as the meta adjusts and settles, but it's pretty open right now.

zigbigwig likes this.
  6. zigbigwig

bought a set of all the scrylands for about 25 bucks. not sure if it’s going to get any cheaper but it’s a pretty good price considering this will last quite a while

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

I haven’t really looked into all of the M20 stuff yet because I’ve been so busy. But I’ve been playing Bant midrange and Dimir midrange in standard before that. What are some Bant/Dimir staples from M20? I’ll eventually go through the entire set when I can but just curious.

8. zigbigwig

didn’t gain that many tools for now, but i think we need to let the meta settle a bit more. people are too excited with simic because it got a lot of new toys

9. zigbigwig

i got 6-1 in the metagame event and got 20 packs. i would’ve gotten 7-0 but messed up fighting the simic flash deck. was playing around counterspells and realized too late that the opp boarded them all out

that was a good game 3 though. props on my opp for the bamboozling

John Lopiano likes this.
  10. John Lopiano

Okay cool. I’m gonna do a bit of looking through the set today.

11. theagentcoma

Yeah unfortunately those two color combos didn't really get much. There's not much going on in the way of Bant, but Esper Hero is still around.

Nice! Did you go with the mono blue deck?

Also the top 8 of SCG Worcester today is pretty diverse. There's a mono blue aggro, a mono red aggro, Temur elementals, 2 Orzhov vampire decks, Boros Feather, Esper Hero, and something else I can't remember. Nothing crazy but still wide open.

zigbigwig likes this.
  12. zigbigwig

@theagentcoma i played mono white without any m20 cards. i used to play the azorius version but after tons of games with them, i think mono white is better.

baffling end, gideon, ajani, adanto - there’s too much good stuff for sb and it’s just more consistent. teferi, dovins veto and deputy are great cards but not worth the occasional mana screw.

i love History of Benalia too much. my favorite card right now

13. theagentcoma

got a list? I run mono white too as one my main decks but I only ever play Bo1 so I'm curious about the sideboard.

14. zigbigwig

Weenie White - HEROtsukai @ mtgtop8.com

this is a good one to start with. if there’s too many mono red you can move some adanto to the sideboard. i haven’t actually used ajani yet (since M20) but only cause i havent come across that many control decks. tomik might be good against nissa (the few times that those interaction happens) and i’m still trying to figure out how to beat mass manipulation simic but normally it’s just a matter of being able to kill them before they can do anything so post sb i just try and make my deck super fast against them. if you learn anything new let me know haha

baffling end shuts down so many things. i often run 4 of them vs gruul and other creature decks

15. zigbigwig

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. zigbigwig

[​IMG]

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. theagentcoma

Whoa

Break out them Faerie cards

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I fucking hated fairies when I first started playing. I'm sure I will continue to hate them.

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. theagentcoma

At least it's a new plane and we won't have to deal with Lorwyn faeries again

20. theagentcoma

new set gonna be revealed at SDCC today

21. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

MaRo said that fairies are only a component of the new set, not the focus.

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. theagentcoma

wheeeeeww boy, so apparently the new set is "Camelot meets Grimm's Fairy Tales." Color me SUPER interested. Here's a link to some of the art showcased so far:

Some incredible stuff in there. More than a few you might recognize from fairy tales you grew up with!

zigbigwig likes this.
  23. zigbigwig

24. John Lopiano

I was playing casually tonight with some friends and one of my buddies plays a Sultai midrange. It’s so obnoxious and I love it but I also hate it lol the combo of Command the Dreadhorde with Wildgrowth Walker and the all the explore cards drove me insane. And Hostage Taker just stealing the best stuff on my board to add insult to injury.

zigbigwig likes this.
  25. zigbigwig

yeah sultai and esper are not fun to play against

John Lopiano likes this.