Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Magic the Gathering • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Both planeswalkers have some amazing art as well.

2. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

This new set is tempting me to get back into standard...

3. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

Yeah seriously, this set is bonkers so far

4. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

So expeditions are a permanent thing.

-Now called Masterpiece Sets
    - Each is specific to the block its from
    - Kaladesh has "kaladesh inventions
    - 30 in kaladesh, 24 in Aether Revolt
    - cards confirmed so far: Gauntlet of power, mana crypt, hangarback walker, and The Gearhulk cycle from Kaladesh

5. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

This has led to a lot of discussion with other players in my community as a hopeful way to see some odd loophole bypass to the Reserved List so we can finally get even an "uber rare" reprint of some reserved list cards. That'd be beyond awesome. Totally just wishful thinking, but I do like this becoming a permanent idea - makes buying sealed product seem a bit more worth it again.

6. LightWithoutHeat

It's a smart play. Gets product sold and makes Standard more accessible.

7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

That Hangarback Walker art is beautiful, shame I'll never open one ever

8. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

Kaladesh seems to be on track to be one of the most liked planes. I guess whether it will be a favorite or not will all come down to how Wizard's writes the story arc for the plane. Also, Aetherborn's look awesome as a tribe.

9. nomemorial

This set feels like a hearkening back to older days of Magic (and I mean that in a very good day). From the art style to the power level, I think this is the most exciting set we've seen in quite some time.

10. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

This whole set is fantastic.

11. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

Didn't even need the Masterpieces, imo. The Masterpieces feel like the cherry on top of a free cake that goes with the already delicious cake that is Kaladesh.

Edit: a word

12. wordzanddreamz

well, i used up my luck. wife bought me a box for our anniversary. 7 packs in had Chandra and masterpice Mana Crypt

13. LightWithoutHeat

Fuck... that's awesome man.

14. LightWithoutHeat

Excited to draft this set all weekend.

wordzanddreamz likes this.
  15. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

16. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

cwhit likes this.
  17. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

I play this pretty damn casually.

theagentcoma and michael_gatto like this.
  18. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

So.... any tips for a noob? Started a month ago, and have filled two of the Innistrad gift boxes not counting lands... went way overboard and now barely even know what I have. I come to you after abandoning the RNG rage of ETCGs like Hearthstone and Elder Scrolls. I mostly have Eldritch Moon, Origins, Innistrad, and Core '15.

Particularly, my roommate mentioned a database site he used in college where you enter your collection so you can search by keyword/ability and all that good stuff. I'm an organizational freak so I'm super interested, but don't know what the best resource is for that kind of thing.

19. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

do you know what format you're looking for? assuming you're starting with standard, or mostly just kitchen table play where you don't need to worry about card restrictions?

20. nomemorial

As far as organizational sites go, I know TCGPlayer has a collection manager function. There are other sites like that, too, but I can't quite recall exactly which. Alternatively, there's the Decked Builder app for Android (the iOS version was garbage last time I used it) that's great for keeping track of your decks. Good image quality, huge database, etc. Past that, if you're on Android, MTG Familiar is a must for its Trade Calculator alone (make sure you're not getting ripped off in a trade).

As far as formats go, here's the general run-down for competitive (read: any event outside of your kitchen table, from FNM to bigger stuff) play -

Standard - Just rotated as of 9/30, so the legal sets are BFZ, OGW, SOI, EMN, KLD. This is the easiest entry point for new players because set restriction makes sure you're not extremely overwhelmed by hundreds of sets worth of cards. Depending on your investment/preference, I find standard can get frustrating to long-time competitive players because it requires constant revamping due to sets rotating out (and that means more money spent or a deck becoming near obsolete).

Modern - All "modern-bordered" sets, 8th edition and onward (I believe). Reasonably sized ban-list to nerf some over-the-top decks and vary up the meta in the competitive scene. Huge metagame, but you tend to see the same 10-20 competitive decks in most large events.

EDH/Commander - 100 card singleton -- 99 singular cards (no copies except basic lands) and 1 legendary creature as a commander. You can only include cards within the commander's color identity (in their mana/ability costs). Very small ban list, considered an "eternal" format because you can play with pretty much every card ever. In my opinion, it plays more like a war-game than basic Magic does, simply based on how expansive the decks are and how long games can last. Considered a more "casual" format because there's a much smaller competitive scene and most games are multiplayer. Tons of fun.

Stuff that exists, but I'd recommend staying away from unless you're trying to dump your life savings into the game.

Legacy - Basically every card ever with a small ban-list. Smaller than modern competitively, but growing rapidly and popular for its high power decks. Wildly expensive due to things like dual lands. Many decks hitting the $3k-$4k mark.

Vintage - See above, but just vintage-bordered cards. Access to wildly powerful/expensive stuff. Pretty small meta, I know very little about it outside of that.

And a general pro-tip if you want to play competitively - DO NOT BE AFRAID TO NETDECK. This advice is often frowned upon, but there are pro-players for a reason - they make and break the best possible decks in the format, decks you'll likely be seeing at your local events. Even if you don't want an exact copy, at the very least look up tournament reports and decklists to get an idea of what works and what doesn't, use it for inspiration for your own decks or copy it outright to see how you like it.

Sorry for the novel, but hope it helps!

21. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Yeah I'm doing modern technically, but literally 100% of my games have taken place on a kitchen table haha. Super casual.

This is massively helpful! Pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks a bunch!

nomemorial likes this.
  22. nomemorial

Anyone watch PT Kaladesh? I didn't get to watch as much as I wanted, but definitely kept tabs on the decks that interested me. Shota Yasooka's Grixis Control looks so good - will definitely be building that for standard ASAP.

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. wordzanddreamz

For what it's worth he urged people not to play it in standard. Said it was specifically turned for this event and won't do nearly as well in the real meta

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  24. nomemorial

That's good to know! Missed that part of commentary and it's a bummer, because this thing was so fun to watch.

25. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the pummeler deck was really fun to play with
    when i tested the aetherworks deck i didn't like it very much, so inconsistent

theagentcoma likes this.