Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Magic the Gathering • Page 34

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

anyone has spare arena codes? I wasn't able to attend the PR (but I also heard that all of the redeem codes were removed from South East Asian PR packs)

thanks in advance

2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Prerelease was fun. Surveil is sooo good if you can make it work. That 2/2 Defender on turn one with enough Surveil support gets out of hand quickly, as does the Spybug. We went 2-2 in 2HG, had a lot of fun.

3. Windowsdown

Todd Stevens has been fired from Starcitygames, banned from the SCG Tour and dropped from his team for allegedly "sexually harassing" women at parties. There's no other info available. I wonder what he did precisely, but I'm disappointed. He seemed like a decent dude, and he was a great player.

4. zigbigwig

Ugh that sucks. I've only recently started following SCG so I don't have that much background on him but it seems like he was a very popular figure.

Good on SCG for taking quick action.

5. Windowsdown

Yeah he was one of the faces of their brand and one of my favorite active players tbh. Dude was the best with fair creature decks and was really likeable on his podcast / stream. He was fired from his podcast too last night so things must be serious. There's a lot of toxic players in the MTG community but I really thought he wasn't one of them. :-/

6. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

zigbigwig likes this.
  7. Windowsdown

I was playing Bant Spirits against UW Miracles in Modern this Monday and I made a dickish, but legal bluff:

He was at 10 life with an active Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin, a Celestial Colonnade and a bunch of mana on his side of the table. I had a Geist of Saint Traft, a Selfless Spirit and a Rattlechains in play (meaning, I had lethal), and a Spell Queller in hand.

We were in the additional turns and he had revealed a Settle the Wreckage, which I wanted him to play instead of activating the Colonnade.

So, before attacking, I pretended to be hesitating to send in the whole team and I said "hmm, but he has Settle in hand..." out loud. Dude played the Settle, I exiled it with Spell Queller and went on to win the round.

What's your stance on this ? Everyone in the shop was watching the final turns and my opponent and his buds seemed preeeeetty pissed at me.

8. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Doesn't seem dickish to me - bluffing is part of the equation in some scenarios, I think you were just taking proper advantage of the situation.

Also, Magic seems to bring out the worst in some players. I love the game, but it truly has so many sore losers.

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. zigbigwig

lol his fault for being baited that easily. that’s hilarious.

10. theagentcoma

Yeah that was a good bluff on your part. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  11. zigbigwig

i was playing casual standard at the office one time where I had 3 lands in my hand. I was using the UW cycle deck from last rotation and I kept bluffing I had a settle so my opponent kept chipping away using only 2 creatures instead of his full force.

during the attack step, i keep pausing and doing fake math in my head (making him believe I'm trying to just put the most value on the "settle" I had in my hand). I ended up winning by topdecking a key card. I forgot which, but the point is that's part of the game.

competitive pokemon has sort of the same mind games as well

theagentcoma likes this.
  12. theagentcoma

always play to your outs, they say

or just git gud

13. zigbigwig

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. theagentcoma

this is the first time I haven't been up to date on spoilers, I actually missed that they even started.

looking pretty cool so far tho

15. zigbigwig

both Ravnicas are dope imo.

War of the Sparks sounds so epic. I'm fully on board. Hope it delivers.

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Started playing arena today. I was hoping for more campaign stuff similar to the older games. Feels weird being thrown online so fast.

zigbigwig likes this.
  17. zigbigwig

yeah arena moves very fast. i love it.

18. theagentcoma

What exactly is arena? Just a free to play software where you can use whatever cards you want?

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Its Wizard's latest iteration of online play. You can buy boosters, pay to draft against others, and play ranked matches. Its very much in line with Hearthstone.

20. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

Did really well at the Grand Prix this past weekend. Got 56th of ~1500 people. The enchantments in this set are busted though. Barely anyway to remove them and they are all very powerful/overpowered.

21. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Some cards I got from the new set. The last one is my favorite just because it makes me laugh.

20190127_220000.jpg
    received_395669091269535.jpeg received_2068882870070488.jpeg

theagentcoma and zigbigwig like this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

That card has been pretty obnoxious in Arena.

23. zigbigwig

does it work? i’m assuming it’s a bit more annoyint than the rats because it can drag the game

i’ve mostly just been drafting in arena. currently 4-1 using a cool black white blue flier deck. afterlife is really good with the drake lord. my sideboard isn’t the best tho.

24. theagentcoma

stick as many of these as you can in a deck, flood the field with them, tap them all to mill opponent's deck away. Fun idea, but will probably not happen anywhere outside a casual environment. That's pretty much always been the case with mill decks.

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

My favorite mill card. Loved allies.

[​IMG]

theagentcoma and Shakriel like this.