Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Magic the Gathering • Page 32

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Windowsdown

Play Modern. I can't believe Standard is that popular on this board, especially after all the design mistakes Wizards made these last few years. My local shops are pushing Modern real hard and everyone is loving it.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  2. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

I already do, actually! Just interested in getting back to standard. Have made my rounds through modern/legacy/EDH and now just looking for something relatively simple I can play via Arena/FNM.

Windowsdown likes this.
  3. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Mono green will be good after rotation. UW Cycling Approach is probably my favorite deck from standard, but it is going to rotate soon.

Preparing for Rotation: The Decks

Borat likes this.
  4. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

5. Windowsdown

Watching the Pro Tour at work today. I'm glad they're giving Modern and Legacy some camera time. For once, I'm excited !

6. zigbigwig

Super shocked right now

Ravnica hype

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I see what you did.

I'm not ready for a new set lol

zigbigwig likes this.
  8. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I got some money for my birthday and want to build a little bit of a standard collection, I have a good amount of buddy lands and most of the shocks but i have pretty much nothing else in Standard. Not sure where I should park some money since now is a good time to buy IMO

9. zigbigwig

How come? Haha.

10. zigbigwig

I have no idea what deck would be strong when this set is released. Maybe if they spoil enough cards. But I guess the wizards are cheap enough? Especially since izzet really loves those dual lands untapped. My only gripe is wizards aren’t really that powerful now but a lot of really good decks are rotating, so idk if they will have a chance to shine.

There are 4 sets that will become obsolete once October hits so that’s def going to be a really big meta change. I might look up some predictions in my free time, if I find some interesting ones I’ll let you know.

11. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

Decks that look good are blue white decks because teferi will dominate as long as it’s legal. Also a mono white angels deck doesn’t lose much and looks good.

Borat and zigbigwig like this.
  12. zigbigwig

Yea I think the UW shell is still there, and Teferi is arguably the best card in standard right now (or Chainwhirler). A bit worried about the lack of Gearhulk though, and a Disallow replacement?

13. wordzanddreamz

The three mana scry counter spell will replace disallow probably. The one that got spoiled last night.

zigbigwig likes this.
  14. zigbigwig

I didn't know there were new spoilers. This looks cool. Surveil would've been so good in a gpg deck. And really good synergy with azcanta.

This looks fun:
    Thought Erasure
    UB

Sorcery
    Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.
    Surveil 1. (Look at the top card of your library. You may put it into your graveyard.)

15. wordzanddreamz

Yeah I think the shell will shift to esper colors for sure to have the finisher be chromium. My friend top 8ed the Richmond Gp today with esper control.

Borat and zigbigwig like this.
  16. Windowsdown Sep 3, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 3, 2018)
    Windowsdown

Almost got disqualified from a PPTQ for marked cards yesterday. I was playing GW Counters Company in Modern. It's my pet deck and I'm in the process of foiling it out - I currently have 27 foil cards in the main and 9 in the sideboard.

After one player got game losses for marked cards (he had 7 foil cards which were pretty bent) I went to the head judge of the tournament to make sure my deck was fine. I never had any issues with it before and played in three GP's and countless other events this year.

Anyway, the judge kept telling me that he was cutting the deck 2 times out of 3 on foil cards. I tried to make my case and said that statistically, having foiled half of the deck, there's a good chance you might find a foil card in either the top 3 / bottom 3 cards after shuffling and cutting the deck.

It took an outside opinion from a higher-level judge who was spectating the event to get me out of this. It's never happened before and I was soooo pissed.

I somehow managed to get my head back in the game, top 8'd, and lost in the QFs. :eh:

zigbigwig likes this.
  17. wordzanddreamz

Yeah i got a pretty damning game loss for a foil Liliana the last hope in my Standard deck in an scg open. It wasn’t bent at all and my friends all thought I was a terrible judge ruling. My deck was like 89% foil too. I did not recover and titled into oblivion

Windowsdown likes this.
  18. Windowsdown

Man... so damn annoying. Was you opponent trying to angle shoot, or was the judge call completely random ?

I actually ordered some more foil cards and should be close to 45 foil cards in the main in about a week. I'll be done by next month. I'm playing the MKM Series in Paris this saturday though, and I'm worried about this happening again... so I'm asking around for regular copies of everything I have in foil. :-/

19. wordzanddreamz

It was a random deck check, which I support. But the focus shouldn’t be on foils. It should be on what cards you registered and what’s in your main and side.

20. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Trying to get back into this. My main deck sadly got thrown out by accident during a move, so I was thinking of getting the Counter Surge Challeneger Deck because it’s pretty spot on what I was running minus a few cards.

Are the others Challeneger Decks decent for getting a new person into the game? I randomly grabbed Elves vs Inventors just as an introduction and they were kind of overwhelmed trying to play the Inventor deck.

21. zigbigwig

If the new player is used to playing card games I’d say it’s a good way to show off how deep Magic can be.

If not, then it would probably depend. I taught my SO using duel decks before the challenger decks.

22. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

every time a new set comes out I'm like "this looks cool, maybe I'll start playing again"

it's happened like 10 times and I still haven't started lol. it gets intimidating with each new release. may just wait until rotation.

23. wordzanddreamz

This is the best rotation to do it with. Two sets going out. Core set and ixalan are rather cheap sets.

theagentcoma and zigbigwig like this.
  24. zigbigwig

Yeah, massive rotation - Amonkhet, Aether Revolt, Kaladesh, and Hour of Devastation are all leaving.

The ones remaining are:
    Ixalan
    Rivals of Ixalan
    Dominaria
    Core Set 2019
    Guilds of Ravnica (October, 2019)

@Allpwrtoslaves if you care about competing in standard I need to mention that challenger decks would become unplayable by October because of said rotation. However, all 4 challenger decks play well against each other and you can make them even better with cheap upgrades so if you only care about in kitchen table magic it's a great option.

25. zigbigwig

Resplendent Angel
    Shalai, Voice of Plenty
    Lyra Dawnbringer

any 1 of those cards stay in the board for a few turns is going to be massive for whoever plays this deck. I wonder how good angels will be after rotation.

natefoundglory likes this.