Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Magic the Gathering

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The thread on AP was way more successful than I expected.

What are you guys looking forward to?
    What are you currently running?

younglikeme likes this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

New set looks amazing
    Can we all make Xmage accounts so we can do sealed tourneys or drafts against each other?

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I don't know what that is, but if it is free, I'm down. I almost bought a fat pack the other day, but I realized I didn't even play anything out of the last four I bought.

4. cwhit

It's an online client similar to MTGO but totally free. Takes some time to get used to priority and the interface on there but it's awesome, especially for someone like me who can't afford a competitive deck irl

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'll give it a go after work.

6. cwhit

Lemme know what you think, I wanna find people I know to play games with haha, really want SOI to come on, I want to start testing some standard decks with those cards (Esper Control specifically)

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I usually run a lot of U/B or U/W. Don't do a whole lot of tri color decks. I always get mana screwed. Haven't looked too much into Innistrad, so I'll have to see how viable that looks for me.

8. cwhit

The last standard had incredible mana fixing so we're all used to three and four color decks, the new rare lands seem solid, but it's going to be an interesting adjustment to mana bases compared to how good it was with fetch lands and fetchable duels. We'll see, I just want Thing In The Ice and the new Sorin haha

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

That Sorin is really cool. One of the better planeswalkers I've seen in a while. That Jace would be really nice in my Merfolk deck as well. Counters for lyf.

10. cwhit

full set going up momentarily

11. cwhit

really want to try out this weird modern brew, basically a combination of bogles and jeskai ascendency using cryptolith rite, basically makes the combo less fragile to removal. though i may as well just play storm at that point haha

12. cwhit

@MikeyPaine get in here!

is anyone prereleasing this weekend?

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I actually don't have plans for Saturday, so maybe.

14. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I'm probably not doing a prerelease, bc the first week SOI is legal there's an SCG Open ~40 minutes from my house and I need to save money. There's a chance I do go to a prerelease and just do 10 dollar drafts at the Open. We'll see.

15. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Already have an Xmage account (was Stereokiller) but I'm currently tied up with tons of backlog sadly. But I think some of my friends IRL are playing. I'll ask.

Full set: SHADOWS OVER INNISTRAD | MythicSpoiler.com

16. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I did two prereleases, did ok but I got some decent stuff, including the two most valuable rares in the set (Thing In The Ice and Westvale Abbey) and 3 mythics.

It's such a fun limited set. The original Innistrad block was my favorite Magic set.

17. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

anyone playing magic duels? hard to after the rocky start last years updates were

18. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Picked up a fat pack tonight and pulled some decent cards.

19. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I'm enjoying the new set a lot better than BFZ&OGW. I hated that whole eldrazi plot, and the whole colorless mana thing really sucked.

20. younglikeme

ii // YLM

Started playing this year & run Standard control, basically a "fuck you" pathway arrows/deathtouch combo that pisses everyone off. I really like it haha

21. theagentcoma

Got a list? That sounds hilarious

22. younglikeme

ii // YLM

Of course! It's a White/Blue/Black & it goes like this...

Creatures:
    4x Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
    4x Fathom Feeder
    2x Yoked Ox
    2x Sphinx of the Final Word

Artifacts:
    4x Pathway Arrows

Instants:
    4x Clash of Wills
    4x Anticipate
    4x Dazzling Reflection
    2x Gideon's Reproach
    2x Negate
    2x Healing Hands (replacing this with Chaplain's Blessing this week)
    2x Bone Splinters
    2x Negate
    2x Searing Light

Lands:
    6x Island
    5x Swamp
    5x Plains
    2x Meandering River
    2x Submerged Boneyard
    2x Forsaken Sanctuary

& it plays exactly as you'd imagine: turn 1 drop a pathway arrows, turn 2 a deathtouch creature, turn 3 equip, turn 4 you're picking off anything they have & you're free to run amok with the rest of your control mechanisms. It's really funny to see their face when you tap arrows to deal 1 damage to some 5+ toughness creature & kill it hahah

If you're running a modern & can throw in some Ruthless Rippers & Typhoid Rats, it's even crazier because they're just one mana & the opponent anger is that much greater haha

23. alexstolar

Just The Worst

Thank god there's already a thread for this. I'm finally ready to get back into Standard now that Khans has rotated out. Anyone build a deck with SOI incorporated yet?

younglikeme likes this.
  24. younglikeme

ii // YLM

I'm adding a SOI card into the deck I posted above in this thread but nothing built around it or with more than that yet. I only play standard though so it's only a matter of time before TCG player takes my money haha

25. theagentcoma

There were a lot of strong Human builds from the SCG this past weekend: W/U, W/G, and a mono white build which took 2nd place. I'm thinking of going this route.