Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Magic: The Gathering is the True Soul of Rock & Roll

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Bear vs Shark were really into Magic: The Gathering:

For almost a decade, I was in Bear vs. Shark, a cold fusion of Loggins and Messina and Jem and the Holograms. We were like if Pantera was really into Michael Haneke — or a one-man band that was actually six druids from the future. We toured a lot and then we broke up — haunted Michigan and parts of New York, played steel drums in the desert. Our Constrobot deconstructed and we became lawyers, teachers, bounty hunters. Some made death masks for pets, others false teeth. One of us has a pushup academy.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

fucking true

3. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

LOL, that was a good read. I never played M:TG before (I think I bought 1 pack once which had one card which was a giant worm eating some red-haired gorilla thing; I don't know why I remember just that one), but fair fucking play to those that do & enjoy it. Anything that repels p***y-hunting lames is good in my book.

4. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I just got into Magic a month ago and between me and my girlfriend we have spent well over a grand. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

GEM37 likes this.
  5. cwhit

that's why i either draft or play a free online client, i'm not falling down that rabbit hole, haha

6. Justice Beaver

Crime Fighting Beaver

I wish I had friends to draft with. :[

7. cwhit

i don't either, just go to a store on a friday night nothing is going on, i almost think of it as like going to a concert, it's a paid entertained night out

8. Shrek

The worst/best part is, we live together, with an additional roommate who is a mutual friend, and we are all terrible with money. Until Magic, our tastes differed enough that we weren't really encouraging any of the others bad spending habits. But now that there is a center to our venn diagram, it's been a cycle of one person buys a fat pack, then the other does and then the third. We are slowing down now because holidays are approaching and we are feeling a guilt we can only imagine is akin on a lesser level to what a drug user feels when they see donuts in their bank account after a binge.

GEM37 likes this.
  9. cwhit

my parents spent so money on pokemon, yugioh, and magic cards for me between the ages of 6 and 12 so that was enough to convince me to not fall down that same path haha

if you ever want to test you should get on xmage with me sometime: would be cool to play someone i actually know haha

10. Shrek

For sure. I've been doing preconstructed decks but am gonna build a few in the next few days now that I'm relatively familiarized. What's your username?

11. cwhit

Just cwhitman but maybe cwhitman412, we'll find a time to play haha. What format are you playing?

12. Shrek

Modern, just by nature of only having cards from the last few years of sets (mainly Innistrad, Eldritch Moon, Origins, and Core '15). Looking to try a commander deck for fun soon.

13. FreshPot

The Freshest

Playing drafts is always fun. I still have a lot of my cards.

Regarding this article it doesn't surprise me that Magic or some other nerdy pass time would be something bands do together between shows. I'm sure there are bands who play D&D or read comics.