Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mae - Multisensory Aesthetic Experience (November 30, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Oct 30, 2018.

1. jasonmerch

This is a deep album to me. It's so different than their other albums although it still sounds like mae to me. I would never recommend this to someone looking to get into mae but I do think it's a welcome addition to their discography. I feel once I listen to this album a handful of times it'll really stick with me.

2. jeremyfromva

Well, If you bought the experiential album, it's all about the senses.

3. Lucas27

Trusted

Okay, I’m not crazy. I’m honestly shocked at how much I don’t like it. I straight up yelled at Flow.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. Zach_In_RI

There’s some really well thought-out songs on here. I dig “Simple Words.”

That said anyone who is still looking for the Everglow 2.0 13 years later is going to massively bummed out.

beachdude and Chase Tremaine like this.
  5. cyclones_37

I built this vessel and it could capsize anytime Supporter

Seems like this is going to be one of their more polarizing albums. I'm halfway through and there are moments I love and can hear that classic Mae sound coming through. That groove on You Fall When You Hesitate reminds me so much of All Deliberate Speed for some reason. I also had a hard time getting into OLIAPP when it first came out but in the context of this album I like it so much more.

I definitely had that problem early on, especially with Singularity but the EPs helped me move past that. Since it's been a decade plus since that album and the band already went on a hiatus I'm more open to a new direction.

beachdude and Chase Tremaine like this.
  6. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

You not enjoying this is slightly unexpected after how much you enjoyed The Overview when most didn't.

You not enjoying it doesn't want me want to buy this!

7. Lucas27

Trusted

LOL! What power I have!

I’m really surprised. This was one of my most anticipated of the year by far. Honestly never been so disappointed by an album. Need to keep listening though.

8. Lucas27

Trusted

Been listening more. So here’s my thing right now... I am not looking for The Everglow Pt. 2. I loved the EPs and how the songs took their sweet time. The thing is, as long as the songs are on an album like (a)fternoon, there was always so much happening. So much musicality. But there’s so much empty space on this thing. I know they’re going for an experience but it sounds like an experience was prioritized over the actual songs. Some people might dig that and maybe I will too with more listens, but man it falls flat for me right now.

5 Light Years, Our Love is a Painted Picture, Let it Die, and Sing were all so terrific and immediate that it clearly primed me for something different. By the time I got to Flow, I felt a little duped. I know this will only grow on me and I’m encouraged other people dig this, I just don’t see how this could ever be close to their best work.

9. Lucas27

Trusted

10. whitenblue88 Nov 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 30, 2018)
    whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I really dig stuff that mixes chamber pop and electronic and the couple songs that do that here are a home run for me

11. jeremyfromva

The lyrics for this album are really, really good.

12. brothemighty

Trusted

Destination: Beautiful and The Everglow are two OK-to-good albums put out by a terrible band

13. DesolateEarth

Birb

Havent listened to the whole thing yet but starting to get worried that I wont like this as much as I thought I would a couple months ago.

14. DesolateEarth

Birb

That sure is a take you have there.

15. jorbjorb

7 rings

[IMG]

anonimito, beachdude, Lucas27 and 2 others like this.
  16. jeremyfromva

Give it a few listens. It grows with each one. Also, read the lyrics.

beachdude, Lucas27 and Chase Tremaine like this.
  17. jeremyfromva

A Race for Our Autonomy should have been the closer.

18. jorbjorb

7 rings

I can't get into this unfortunately but I will always credit this band for making Destination: Beautiful.
    One of my favorite records of all time.

jasonmerch likes this.
  19. DesolateEarth

Birb

Who listens to the (M)orning EP and goes "wow what a terrible band"?

20. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

There are a few things here and there that don't work for me, but overall I'm quite enjoying this. It just has a vibe that's really hitting me right now. I'm glad I didn't listen to any of the songs before this (other than "Our Love Is a Painted Picture" back when it first dropped).

beachdude likes this.
  21. jeremyfromva

That whole morning, afternoon, evening collection is one of the best.

anonimito, beachdude and jasonmerch like this.
  22. Interesting. I haven't decided yet which song I think would've made for the best closer

23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Autonomy would have probably been my choice too.

24. Agreed. I even wrote my review based on having "SING" as the opener and "Kaleidoscope" as the closer, which is how the album was on the review copy, so we had to make some last-minute 2am changes before publishing my review.

beachdude and SpyKi like this.
  25. manoverboard365

Trusted

Wow I didnt even know Mae put out new music. I'll have to find time to listen this weekend.